WBB Recruiting Question

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think Nia is another good recruit that very likely won't thrive under Fennelly unless she can learn to be a really good three point shooter. She would do better currently under a system Ilke Pocahontas'. Another player that we have that would be great under such a system is Tee Tee. I have no idea why Fennelly recruits these people. One that seemed like he should have liked, but didn't, Fernstrom, I got the feeling that he felt Fernstrom wasn't showing enough hustle. I didn't agree with that, I thought she showed good hustle. What I really wish is that he would have taken Elie, and had her teach him her system. I think it would work great on the college level.

Reactions: riceville98

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
Elle is listed at 5'3" and Nia is listed at 5'7"
Slightly more than half an inch

Sofia is 'listed' as 5'-9", Adriana is 'listed' as 5'-10". Does it look like Nia is 2" shorter than Sofia? My point is that neither has a size advantage over the other, but one has considerable offensive skills - the other almost none. Both would be defensive liabilities in the B12.

ISUbkbMediaDay1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ISUbkbMediaDay1_1.jpg

Reactions: BoxsterCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Sofia is 'listed' as 5'-9", Adriana is 'listed' as 5'-10". Does it look like Nia is 2" shorter than Sofia? My point is that neither has a size advantage over the other, but one has considerable offensive skills - the other almost none. Both would be defensive liabilities in the B12.

ISUbkbMediaDay1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
ISUbkbMediaDay1_1.jpg
I don't even know why I'm arguing about this, but let's wait and see how those considerable offensive skills translate to the next level. Elle certainly does score a lot, at a 3A school playing against other 3A schools. Nia scored her fair share of points in high school, at one of the best schools in the country. Oh yeah, she also had multiple power 5 scholarship offers. You must be related to her or something.

Reactions: pulse

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I don't even know why I'm arguing about this, but let's wait and see how those considerable offensive skills translate to the next level. Elle certainly does score a lot, at a 3A school playing against other 3A schools. Nia scored her fair share of points in high school, at one of the best schools in the country. Oh yeah, she also had multiple power 5 scholarship offers. You must be related to her or something.

Not accurate. I don't believe she had any. She had her heart set on Syracuse (if you believe the reports at the time she signed with us) and visited but never got an official offer and they offered/signed other guards.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_1c1bebae-8e68-11e5-b27d-737323353b6c.html

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I haven't seen Elle play, but it sounds like BF was straight up with her and maybe she found a great place to play where she can be successful. That's a winner for everyone.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Not sure why Nia is being drug into this thread. I'm glad Nia is a Cyclone. As a freshman PG, minutes are not going to come easy under BF. I like her attitude, I like her explosiveness, and I like her willingness to distribute. I think she will continue to get better and earn more minutes. Beside, we have lots of scores coming in the next two classes.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
Just watched some video's of Elle on YouTube, she seems like a great girl. Hope she has a great career at Missouri St.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Not accurate. I don't believe she had any. She had her heart set on Syracuse (if you believe the reports at the time she signed with us) and visited but never got an official offer and they offered/signed other guards.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_1c1bebae-8e68-11e5-b27d-737323353b6c.html
Same source

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sport...cle_d2e58256-8c04-11e6-a8e2-a30134e2f24e.html

Her biggest offers came from Syracuse, Bradford, North Carolina at Greensboro and Florida Atlantic.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I saw that also and it contradicts the earlier article that included the information directly from the student and coach so I discounted it as a sloppy piece back when I first read it. There were other articles earlier on how she was left high and dry after counting on a Syracuse scholarship. I did wonder though, in the Daily article you link, just what and where is a "Bradford"? Outside of a school in England I don't believe there is any such thing in the USA.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I saw that also and it contradicts the earlier article that included the information directly from the student and coach so I discounted it as a sloppy piece back when I first read it. There were other articles earlier on how she was left high and dry after counting on a Syracuse scholarship. I did wonder though, in the Daily article you link, just what and where is a "Bradford"? Outside of a school in England I don't believe there is any such thing in the USA.
Women's bb recruiting is far from well reported. Maybe she was offered by Syracuse Community College?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I did wonder though, in the Daily article you link, just what and where is a "Bradford"? .
I didn't think the articles were at odds with facts. For instance when I read Bradford I thought of the small school in Pennsylvania which would be interested in a great, but undersized, player.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Syracuse coach played her. Told her hs coach he wanted her but never offered. She was basically his backup in case his other offers didn't pan out.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I didn't think the articles were at odds with facts. For instance when I read Bradford I thought of the small school in Pennsylvania which would be interested in a great, but undersized, player.

That's the only one I could find but you usually don't tout Div III schools as "offers" since they do not have athletic scholarships.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Syracuse coach played her. Told her hs coach he wanted her but never offered. She was basically his backup in case his other offers didn't pan out.

That was the gist of the earlier stories and it kinda sucks. I am glad she ended up getting an offer from us as she might have been left out in the cold and she is good enough to have earned a ride somewhere. It was late in the process and she needed a home and we desperately needed some players. Could still be a win, win. Not sure what her role at ISU will end up being but she's likely to play more than some of our recent roster players.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
That's the only one I could find but you usually don't tout Div III schools as "offers" since they do not have athletic scholarships.

Div. III do recruit and offer financial aid packages for kids and Nia may not have made that distinction. The writer had no need to check beyond her word as factual (in defense of a student ISU Daily writer) if that is the case here.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Elle is a talented shooter, but a 5'3" kid is going to struggle to get shots off against a 5'9"+ guards she would see in the Big12.

In watching her HS Tournament games she has a great motor, but I didn't see quickness needed for Big12.

Will be curious how she does at Mo. State. Regardless of her level of success in college, her HS accomplishments and impact she had on communities and kids in that part of Iowa will be remembered a long time.

Reactions: riceville98

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Not that it matters in any way to this stupid conversation, but it's Radford not Bradford.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron