Can Drake keep Jenny Baranczyk?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Tremendous coach, and I just don't see how Drake can hold onto her after this season ends. I'd bet several power 5 conference schools would be offering her $500K/yr. and up, which I'm sure is way above what Drake could match.
USC and Arkansas, to name two, are looking for head coaches, and maybe Illinois soon.
No doubt Iowa is her dream job, but unless Bluder retires or is pushed out, it won't be available.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Tremendous coach, and I just don't see how Drake can hold onto her after this season ends. I'd bet several power 5 conference schools would be offering her $500K/yr. and up, which I'm sure is way above what Drake could match.
USC and Arkansas, to name two, are looking for head coaches, and maybe Illinois soon.
No doubt Iowa is her dream job, but unless Bluder retires or is pushed out, it won't be available.

I can't see Drake keeping anyone if they are actually a commodity. They have not shown that they are committed to having a solid athletic department in the past several years.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I can't see Drake keeping anyone if they are actually a commodity. They have not shown that they are committed to having a solid athletic department in the past several years.
What can they commit to do? They don't have a revenue stream like P5 schools do - no conference to get lots of cash from, no football program that generates cash. So what can they afford to pay a coaching star?

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
What can they commit to do? They don't have a revenue stream like P5 schools do - no conference to get lots of cash from, no football program that generates cash. So what can they afford to pay a coaching star?

All good points. I think they could redouble their efforts at fundraising. I think they could promote both basketball teams and try to get more fans at home games. Make student tickets free just to get someone to show up. Have more ticket promotions to try and sell season tickets. Have promotions to get basketball fans in the Des Moines area to show up, like kids get in free or something.

Anything to get butts in the seats and some excitement for the programs.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
All good points. I think they could redouble their efforts at fundraising. I think they could promote both basketball teams and try to get more fans at home games. Make student tickets free just to get someone to show up. Have more ticket promotions to try and sell season tickets. Have promotions to get basketball fans in the Des Moines area to show up, like kids get in free or something.

You forgot "Hire a competent AD".

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
You forgot "Hire a competent AD".

That's likely the first step.

Did anyone hear on KXNO Morning Rush about Sandy?

They are accepting resumes for their head mens basketball coach position on ncaamarketplace. A sight were tiny D3 colleges post part time coaching positions.

How freaking pathetic. Drake is a D1 basketball program in the MVC. They've had the position "open" since January and she doesn't even have a list of people she wants to hire.

Here's the link. I guess it wouldn't hurt to submit my resume.

http://ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobs/8860794/head-men-s-basketball-coach

spk123

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines

Basketball tickets for undergrad students are already free, plus grad students get discounted seats for most games, and free seats for the others. I agree with everything else you said, though.

I went to grad school at Drake after undergrad at Iowa State, and while I am, of course, a Cyclone fan first and foremost, I would really like to see Drake become relevant again. It has to start at the top with a change of athletic director.

• Informative
Reactions: cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Basketball tickets for undergrad students are already free, plus grad students get discounted seats for most games, and free seats for the others. I agree with everything else you said, though.

I went to grad school at Drake after undergrad at Iowa State, and while I am, of course, a Cyclone fan first and foremost, I would really like to see Drake become relevant again. It has to start at the top with a change of athletic director.

Sorry. I didn't know that about the student tickets. I think even a decent AD would be an upgrade and would help all programs involved. Go get an associate AD from a bigger program and give them a shot.

heyguy85

Nov 9, 2007
Iowa
Fennelly has a contract set to expire in 2 years at the age of 62. What are the chances he'll hang it up then? If he does, how about getting Jenny to ISU? Bluder's also expires then but she's 5 years younger than Bill.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Fennelly has a contract set to expire in 2 years at the age of 62. What are the chances he'll hang it up then? If he does, how about getting Jenny to ISU? Bluder's also expires then but she's 5 years younger than Bill.

Hmm. Not sure she has quite enough experience recruiting at a Big 12 level. Recruiting to Drake and the MVC is a different animal.
I guess that's up to JP to decide if and when the time comes.

Does Fennelly have a protege that he would want to steer the AD toward?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
While I think Jenny could do a decent job at ISU, three other coaches come to mind with me. One I would like to see us get but I fear she would not take the job is Brenda Frese, the other two are Robin Pingeton and Katie Abrahamson-Henderson who all have been in our program at one time or another.
Doubt that ISU could afford Frese even if she was interested; also doubt she would leave the DC area, with all of the recruiting advantages, for the farmland of Iowa. Remember, Minneapolis wasn't big enough for her. Also, would Cyclone fans take a liking to her style? It's a form of "thug ball," you know.
Have always assumed that the job would be Steyer's if she wanted it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron