Big 12 Un-Coach of the Year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Probably gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I look at what Kruger and Smart did this year and it makes me think that Prohm deserves a lot more credit than he gets. Yes, he had more back this year than those two, but those coaching "geniuses" go 10-21 and 11-19? I'll take Prohm's coaching job this year vs. either of those two coaching jobs.

The real comparison, at least with Kruger, will be what Prohm does next year after losing all of the seniors. OU and Kruger lost a similar amount this year. If we earn a top 4 finish again next year, with a young team, Prohm will have earned his paycheck by far.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
The real comparison, at least with Kruger, will be what Prohm does next year after losing all of the seniors. OU and Kruger lost a similar amount this year. If we earn a top 4 finish again next year, with a young team, Prohm will have earned his paycheck by far.

I want to see steady improvement next year for ISU. With as young as we will be I'll say Prohm earns his paycheck by making the NCAA's.

Back to the thread I would say Texas was the most disappointing team in the conference this year and that's just fine with me.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

The exception I would make for this is Kruger has been at OU for 7 years, where CSP will be at ISU for his third season, and in that time he really only had two recruiting classes. One of which he got a late jump on because how late he was hired. But if ISU finishes mid pack next season, CSP is going to be a really good coach for ISU. Because next year is the year of the drop off between CFH and him. After that things should be running smooth for CSP.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Weber finishes with a first round bye in the tournament after being picked 9/10 in the preseason poll. Anyone picking him as winner here is doing so out of spite or ignorance, not sure which.

Smart is clearly the winner. He's the basketball version of UT's WTFChuck.

Be interesting to see if this poll is up after next season when ISU loses 4 or 5 starters, as Lon Kruger did this year.
Generally, I've found ISU fans a bit more circumspect with their views than what I've read in some of the comments here this morning. Whew!

I;ll be perfectly clear with my thoughts.

We love us some Bruce Weber. He and KSU should never part ways! No way he is under performing. He consistently exceeds expectations and and is a perfect fit.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I;ll be perfectly clear with my thoughts.

We love us some Bruce Weber. He and KSU should never part ways! No way he is under performing. He consistently exceeds expectations and and is a perfect fit.

And furthermore, I am glad the KSU AD resisted any temptation to dump Weber last year just to get some unproven mid-major like Brad Underwood, just because he would have been returning to his alma mater. That was a major bullet dodged!

BTW, where is that AD now?

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I don't think Shaka underperformed. I think people overrated them going into the season. I would vote Chris Beard. Tech had a lot coming back and had some good players and didn't do as well as last year.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
The one thing this thread has shown to me is how good the Big 12 coaches are top to bottom in this league. When proven guys that have had a lot of success in the past in Kruger, Weber, and Smart are your "worst" coaches this season any 3 of those guys wouldn't be without a job for long if they got fired as they'd land another power 5 job in no time. Then look at the jobs that Underwood and Dixon did this year too. The league is going to be very good for awhile with this current collection of coaches.

Here's an interesting link from January: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...g-12-college-basketball-head-coach-in-2016-17 Pretty sure Prohm and Underwood would not be that low if they wrote that today and Kruger and Smart sure wouldn't be 2 and 4 now.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Dixon has to be included. TCU really faded down the stretch and failed to show improvement throughout the year.

I think you have to give Dixon a pass taking over a team that only won 2 conference games last year and went 12-21 overall and this year made them much more competitive winning 6 conference games and currently at 17-14. I think he did one of the better coaching jobs right up there with Underwood given the situation he inherited.

The more I look at the conference I think Smart and Beard did the worst jobs this year given the roster they had. Entering his 3rd year next season at Texas and with all the resources that school has, if they have another clunker like they did this season Smart's seat is going to start feeling a lot warmer. He recruited so well at VCU you'd think he could find a way to translate that into making Texas BB competitive again and by years 3 and 4 those will be his guys now. They'll probably lose Allen to the NBA draft but if you look at who their seniors are they only had 2 seniors playing meaningful minutes in the rotation in Cleare and Yancy. It's a young team and ESPN has their recruited class ranked #8 overall. I wouldn't look past Smart having a good rebound season next year given his success at VCU.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
BTW, where is that AD now?
John Currie took a top 10 job at Tennessee where he earlier matriculated and later was an assistant A.D. His salary is $900,000 per, plus an additional $25,000 each year thereafter, and a $1.5 million retention bonus. I guess he prepared himself well at K-State.

As for coach Weber, I hope the Cats make "the dance" and he's retained. The program does not need another coaching change.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
The more I look at the conference I think Smart and Beard did the worst jobs this year given the roster they had. Entering his 3rd year next season at Texas and with all the resources that school has, if they have another clunker like they did this season Smart's seat is going to start feeling a lot warmer. He recruited so well at VCU you'd think he could find a way to translate that into making Texas BB competitive again and by years 3 and 4 those will be his guys now. They'll probably lose Allen to the NBA draft but if you look at who their seniors are they only had 2 seniors playing meaningful minutes in the rotation in Cleare and Yancy. It's a young team and ESPN has their recruited class ranked #8 overall. I wouldn't look past Smart having a good rebound season next year given his success at VCU.
Shaka doesn't have his assistant that helped him wreck "havoc" at VCU, Will Wade, with him at Texas. Will Wade is now HC at VCU. Smart's teams at Texas bear no resemblance at all to his teams at VCU.
This is reminiscent of Dan Monson's success at Gonzaga when it was really his assistant Mark Few who was driving the program. Minnesota found that out.
Or Todd Lickliter given credit at Butler when it was really assistant Brad Stevens who did the work. Iowa found that out.
Or Dan Hawkins building Boise State football when it was in fact Chris Petersen who was the star on the coaching staff. Colorado found that out.
Texas is finding it out now.

• Agree
Reactions: surly

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Shaka doesn't have his assistant that helped him wreck "havoc" at VCU, Will Wade, with him at Texas. Will Wade is now HC at VCU. Smart's teams at Texas bear no resemblance at all to his teams at VCU.
To be fair how many years does it take to change the complexion of a team when the personnel don't match what you need? Not everyone can take players who have no interest in playing defense and make them serviceable or even good at it like Prohm apparently can.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I don't think Shaka underperformed. I think people overrated them going into the season. I would vote Chris Beard. Tech had a lot coming back and had some good players and didn't do as well as last year.
Texas absolutely underperformed. All that talent and they finish dead last?! I don't care that the are young. That's really bad. They also showed no improvement from January to March.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Texas absolutely underperformed. All that talent and they finish dead last?! I don't care that the are young. That's really bad. They also showed no improvement from January to March.
I don't think they have that much talent outside of a few guys and their best player was suspended

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Shaka. I forgot how much hype there was there.

Kinda stupid that they've got that record and likely the best players are gone.
Shaka like Prohm is a new coach. Unlike Prohm he lost the bulk of his talent last year. He may be voted "Uncoach Of The Year" this year but don't be surprised if he kicks most teams asses next year. He's got the best in the Big 12, and one of the best in the nation, recruiting classes of 2017 ranked #7 nationally. I expect crow on the menu shortly.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Shaka like Prohm is a new coach. Unlike Prohm he lost the bulk of his talent last year. He may be voted "Uncoach Of The Year" this year but don't be surprised if he kicks most teams asses next year. He's got the best in the Big 12, and one of the best in the nation, recruiting classes of 2017 ranked #7 nationally. I expect crow on the menu shortly.

You could very well be right.

But having 2 McD AA's, and winning only 10 games is currently a red flag. I was more impressed with them in Ames than in Austin, and didn't think much of the loss but since have realize they were just bad (although that really feels like it was the 'spark' for ISU because they've been fairly crisp since).

If they were NIT-bound or at least a .500ish record, I'd think more of what they've done.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
You could very well be right.

But having 2 McD AA's, and winning only 10 games is currently a red flag. I was more impressed with them in Ames than in Austin, and didn't think much of the loss but since have realize they were just bad (although that really feels like it was the 'spark' for ISU because they've been fairly crisp since).

If they were NIT-bound or at least a .500ish record, I'd think more of what they've done.
Texas is a good example of how important it is this to keep the recruiting pipeline intact. You can't afford a gap year. If Shaka gets another couple players he's after he easily could have the #1 class for 2017. For now, I'll give him a pass. If he can't make the top half of Bi12 next year, two at most, then I'll call it a bust.........and so will UT.

• Agree
Reactions: randomfan44