WBB Recruiting Question

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
I hope there is someone on here who can answer this question.

My dad and I spent yesterday in the "well" watching girl's state game. We had a great day and it was capped off by being able watch the all time leading scorer in Iowa (Pocahontas Area's Elle Ruffridge) put up 48 pts. What a player she is!! We were both very impressed! However, we were disappointed to learn that she will head to Missouri State for her college career.. It's ashame to lose a player of her talent to an out-of-state school

What other schools recruiited her?

How hard did ISU try?

Thanks

Last edited:

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I hope there is someone on here who can answer this question.

My dad and I yesterday in the "well" watching girl's state game. We had a great day and it was capped off by being able watch the all time leading scorer in Iowa (Pocahontas Area's Elle Ruffridge) put up 48 pts. What a player she is!! We were both very impressed! However, we were disappointed to learn that she will head to Missouri State for her college career.. It's ashame to lose a player of her talent to an out-of-state school

What other schools recruiited her?

How hard did ISU try?

Thanks

She is a talented player, but her size kept her from being recruited by the major schools. At 5' 3" she isn't going to be a force on a Big 12 team.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
She is a talented player, but her size kept her from being recruited by the major schools. At 5' 3" she isn't going to be a force on a Big 12 team.

Only other offers I can find mentioned for her were University of Nebraska Omaha and UNI

• Informative
Reactions: riceville98

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com

Thanks for your answer and I think you are likely correct on the height issue but, my answer to that would be that the PG position is about much more than size. I saw her to lots of great things last night and I think with time in the weight room, she could play. She looks better than Washington to me

We'll see but, I think all college coaches in Iowa missed good talent on this one

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the info I'm surprised she turned down a UNI offer.
I'm guessing getting to play for Jackie Stiles was a big reason. Her lateral speed probably wasn't up to Big 12 defensive snuff. And she would really struggle against a Baylor/Texas/West Virginia type defense, I imagine. But I hope she has great success in the Valley. Have we ever done a home-and-home with an out-of-state Valley conference school?

AllN4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2010
I'm guessing getting to play for Jackie Stiles was a big reason. Her lateral speed probably wasn't up to Big 12 defensive snuff. And she would really struggle against a Baylor/Texas/West Virginia type defense, I imagine. But I hope she has great success in the Valley. Have we ever done a home-and-home with an out-of-state Valley conference school?

Creighton back in 2000 and 2001

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009
I have talked to her. BF told her point blank she was too short. I'm guessing Nia Washington is maybe 1/2" to an inch taller than Elle. Elle has offensive skills that Nia can barely dream about.

Also talked to her Mom and Grandma and, while they were disappointed, they are very happy about the situation Elle is going into.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I have talked to her. BF told her point blank she was too short. I'm guessing Nia Washington is maybe 1/2" to an inch taller than Elle. Elle has offensive skills that Nia can barely dream about.

Also talked to her Mom and Grandma and, while they were disappointed, they are very happy about the situation Elle is going into.

If you can't defend in the Big 12 you can't play. Elle would get eaten alive.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com

Thanks for the info, I'm not familiar with coach Stiles. What is her style and background that makes her popular to play for? I hope she does well too..just wish it was in Iowa

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thanks for the info, I'm not familiar with coach Stiles. What is her style and background that makes her popular to play for? I hope she does well too..just wish it was in Iowa

Jackie Stiles was the all time NCAA scoring leader until this yr when the gal from Washington beat her record. She is coaching at her alma mater Mo State. I think the school was named something else back then though. I saw some interviews with her while the Washington gal was closing in on her record. She came across as very personable and offensive minded in the interviews.

• Informative

pulse

Mar 24, 2006

That guess is a bit off. Nia isn't 5'3".

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com

WOW, well I guess we've known for a while that we have a very blunt head coach!! Glad they found a great situation for Elle. I am amazed that 1/2 an inch would make that much difference and I'd rather have someone with the offensive skill set that Elle has already.

BF is set in his ways

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
Jackie Stiles was the all time NCAA scoring leader until this yr when the gal from Washington beat her record. She is coaching at her alma mater Mo State. I think the school was named something else back then though. I saw some interviews with her while the Washington gal was closing in on her record. She came across as very personable and offensive minded in the interviews.

Thanks for the info

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
WOW, well I guess we've known for a while that we have a very blunt head coach!! Glad they found a great situation for Elle. I am amazed that 1/2 an inch would make that much difference and I'd rather have someone with the offensive skill set that Elle has already.

BF is set in his ways
Elle is listed at 5'3" and Nia is listed at 5'7"
Slightly more than half an inch

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Thanks for the info I'm surprised she turned down a UNI offer.
I am from Pocahontas and as much as I am an ISU fan, would have loved to see Elie take the UNI offer and then waxed the Cyclones for some years. Sorry, but that is my feeling on that. Not as if there haven't been some really successful small players before, even on the male professional level.

I should note that I wouldn't have wanted Elie to accept an ISU offer, because the system in Poky was almost invented by her, that is an open court, high energy defense. Fennelly only plays his system which she would not have done well under, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if she would have spent her career on the bench. My guess is that some real thought went into where she was going to school, she is a very bright girl.

Last edited:

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
www.facebook.com
I am from Pocahontas and as much as I am an ISU fan, would have loved to see Elie take the UNI offer and then waxed the Cyclones for some years. Sorry, but that is my feeling on that. Not as if there haven't been some really successful small players before, even on the male professional level.

I should note that I wouldn't have wanted Elie to accept an ISU offer, because the system in Poky was almost invented by her, that is an open court, high energy defense. Fennelly only plays his system which she would not have done well under, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if she would have spent her career on the bench. My guess is that some real thought went into where she was going to school, she is a very bright girl.

Thanks for your info and it was very informative. I hadn't really compared the systems but, I very much enjoyed seeing the "poky" system in action last Thurs and I totally agree that it's vastly different from ISU's. If she found a system similar to that at MO State. That clearly is the right place for her. Glad she found it!!