Seriously Leistikow?

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
No it wasn't. The ref couldn't see him or hear him so how was it clearly called? Geez some of you guys are dumb.

It wasn't reviewable. Lol cmon man

So the ref can't see or hear the ball handler when he is 10' away from him? Wow this is getting worse by the minute, that guy really did a bad job.

You can review an out of bounds call with under a minute or two I believe. Heck it really helped out ISU vs Okie st the other night. Did you seriously not know this? You can't tie up a player for a jump ball if you are out of bounds, because as soon as you touch the ball it is out of bounds????

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
So the ref can't see or hear the ball handler when he is 10' away from him? Wow this is getting worse by the minute, that guy really did a bad job.

You can review an out of bounds call with under a minute or two I believe. Heck it really helped out ISU vs Okie st the other night. Did you seriously not know this? You can't tie up a player for a jump ball if you are out of bounds, because as soon as you touch the ball it is out of bounds????

Correct, the game wasn't played at Carver.

A jump ball call is not reviewable. Did you seriously not know this?

• Funny
Reactions: Gunnerclone

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Missing an out of bounds play happens all the time. I can't think of one instance where a ref heard a player with possession call a timeout but then just refuse to give it to them because obviously they had money on the game or something. Put your tin foil hat away

I can think of one late in the Texas game where Bowie got a key offensive rebound and was ruled out of bounds even though he was still in bounds. Cost ISU points (I mean ISU still had to make the shot on the possession but c'mon they clearly would have right?).

Refs took that game from us so I am going to pretend it was a win.

ISU is now the 2 seed in the Big XII tournament.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
The out of bounds occurred before the jump ball. Out of bounds are reviewable that late in the game.

Unless it changed prior to this season stepping out of bounds actually isn't a reviewable call.

Only deflections are reviewable.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Prior to reading this I did not care whether Iowa would or should be in the tournament. Now I'm really hoping this will forever go down in Iowa Basketball Lore as the year they got screwed out of an NCAA bid because of the incredible injustice in Williams Arena. That would be sweet ... and I'm sure Gopher fans will love knowing that it's forever gnawing away at Iowa fans.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

Iowa State call was on a deflection that is why the call was reviewable.

Stepping out of bounds is not reviewable.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
Iowa State call was on a deflection that is why the call was reviewable.

Stepping out of bounds is not reviewable.

Thanks for the clarification. It is nice to know that the official only blew 3 calls on that play, miss the TO, missed the foul, and missed the out of bounds. He seems to have gotten it right that he unfortunately couldn't review the play to correct the call.

Such is life in sports and why I don't say a ref cost a team a game.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Thanks for the clarification. It is nice to know that the official only blew 3 calls on that play, miss the TO, missed the foul, and missed the out of bounds. He seems to have gotten it right that he unfortunately couldn't review the play to correct the call.

They didn't miss the timeout call. Ellingson dribbled into the absolute worst place he could have so the ref couldn't hear or see him. Also I don't think there was a foul there

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010

I just always assumed that stepping out of bounds in the last 2 minutes of a game was reviewable until the end of Syracuse/Gonzaga in the NCAA tournament last year.

HawkeyeMashup

Feb 17, 2017
They didn't miss the timeout call. Ellingson dribbled into the absolute worst place he could have so the ref couldn't hear or see him. Also I don't think there was a foul there

Then let's add this to the list of things that ref messed up. How in the world can he take himself out of hearing distance and into a place where he can see the ball handler and two defenders? What did he think his assignment was if not to watch the play 10' from him? You have now convinced me this guy did an even worse job officiating than I originally thought.

• Disagree
Reactions: CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Then let's add this to the list of things that ref messed up. How in the world can he take himself out of hearing distance and into a place where he can see the ball handler and two defenders? What did he think his assignment was if not to watch the play 10' from him? You have now convinced me this guy did an even worse job officiating than I originally thought.

The ref was where he was supposed to be. Ellingson literally dribbled the ball to the absolute worst place you can on a basketball court which is his fault and not the officials

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I'm normally pretty pro-Iowa on here, but I about decked a buddy of mine who insisted the Committee would look at the fact that Iowa got "screwed" when considering the Minnesota game. That is absurd.

First, if you want to consider officiating, you have to take the good with the bad. Iowa got a ton of favorable calls down the stretch at Indiana. Are we reviewing those?

Second, can you imagine if you set this precedent? You'd have to go back and review every call in a 20ish game conference season for about 80 teams. Every team could play that game-- "Can you imagine if Burton wouldn't have picked up his 3rd foul of the first half on that bogus call? We definitely would have won."

Iowa is having a nice run, and hell they may just make it. But to act like they were "screwed", and to suggest that it "cost them the game" and then to take it to the next level of expecting the NCAA Tournament Committee to treat the game differently than the final score is mind-numbingly dumb.

Reactions: CyTwins

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I'm normally pretty pro-Iowa on here, but I about decked a buddy of mine who insisted the Committee would look at the fact that Iowa got "screwed" when considering the Minnesota game. That is absurd.

First, if you want to consider officiating, you have to take the good with the bad. Iowa got a ton of favorable calls down the stretch at Indiana. Are we reviewing those?

Second, can you imagine if you set this precedent? You'd have to go back and review every call in a 20ish game conference season for about 80 teams. Every team could play that game-- "Can you imagine if Burton wouldn't have picked up his 3rd foul of the first half on that bogus call? We definitely would have won."

Iowa is having a nice run, and hell they may just make it. But to act like they were "screwed", and to suggest that it "cost them the game" and then to take it to the next level of expecting the NCAA Tournament Committee to treat the game differently than the final score is mind-numbingly dumb.

This is a yearly occurrence, nothing to see here.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Lol - Chad just posted an article to the Register about the top 10 OMG moments in Fry/Ferentz era. Bet he had to do quite a bit of laundry after writing that one.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I love that something in the byline says 22 year sportswriting career or some such.

Isn't time to quit writing like you're 12 then?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron