RECRUITING: Brennan Armstrong commits to Minnesota

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

WaltonGoggins

Apr 11, 2014
Living in the Twin Cities (& having grown up in MN), I still don't see the draw for recruits.

Fleck can sell hope, (which frankly is not different than we have) & MN actually won 9 games this past year.

But, even with 9 wins, their less than 50K capacity stadium is usually 2/3 full, at best. And that's in a metro area with 3.5M people. Very few people that live here care about Minny FB - Vikings & Wild reign here.

I actually hope Minny takes a jump up & starts competing with Iowa & Wisc as long as it doesn't negatively impact ISU. But, I just don't see it happening.

The fan support is bad, it's obvious after the past few months (& historically), the Minny administration is a mess.

I just have a hard time understanding why a recruit would want to walk into the current situation. It must indicate Fleck's recruiting abilities.

Must respectfully disagree:

1- It's a city. Some guys may like sleepytowns like Ames and Iowa City, but some may like a little more action. If they're African-American, they may like seeing more people who look like them.
2- Don't think adding another 5-10K to the crowd size will be too hard. And that stadium is gorgeous.
3- Their facilities are becoming top notch.
4- No Minnesota State to battle recruits for.
5- A good chunk of the Fortune 500 residing within a few miles of campus to hire them after college.
6- Even with a challenged offense, they've beaten every Big 10 West contender except Wisconsin in the last couple of years. (And have played the Badgers tough.)
7- More prestigious school than Iowa or ISU.

I think they have a bigger upside than either Iowa or ISU.

DhaCheann

Mar 31, 2012
Denver, CO

1- It's a city. Some guys may like sleepytowns like Ames and Iowa City, but some may like a little more action. If they're African-American, they may like seeing more people who look like them.
2- Don't think adding another 5-10K to the crowd size will be too hard. And that stadium is gorgeous.
5- A good chunk of the Fortune 500 residing within a few miles of campus to hire them after college.
6- Even with a challenged offense, they've beaten every Big 10 West contender except Wisconsin in the last couple of years. (And have played the Badgers tough.)

I respectfully disagree with about 80% of what you said.

The first bold point is a giant "WTF?"
The second bold point, ISU's facilities are just as good, if not better. So go fly a kite.
The third bold point, DSM is the #1 city in all of the great United States of America for young professionals, its in a book or magazine somewhere so, pick one up and read it.
And to the last bold point, sit down for this one please. "More prestigious than Iowa or ISU?" Cmon man. I'm not saying ISU has more prestige than Minnesota, but the last time they played head to head, we won. And I would say Iowa is 100,000 times more "prestigious" (if you can even call Iowa "prestegious") than Minnesota.

I know what I just bolded and discussed only equals around 57%, but there was 23% more of Walt Goggins post I disagreed with that I didn't feel like going into detail about.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana

Go row a boat or whatever. Glad we don't have to listen to that insincere crap.

I have lived in Iowa, Michigan and Indiana. No one thinks U of Minnesota is prestigious.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: CP44

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I lived in Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Kentucky and other states. A lot of people think where they is greatest place on earth. I'm a Iowan, but I liked Missouri rural areas the best.

WaltonGoggins

Apr 11, 2014
I respectfully disagree with about 80% of what you said.

The first bold point is a giant "WTF?"
The second bold point, ISU's facilities are just as good, if not better. So go fly a kite.
The third bold point, DSM is the #1 city in all of the great United States of America for young professionals, its in a book or magazine somewhere so, pick one up and read it.
And to the last bold point, sit down for this one please. "More prestigious than Iowa or ISU?" Cmon man. I'm not saying ISU has more prestige than Minnesota, but the last time they played head to head, we won. And I would say Iowa is 100,000 times more "prestigious" (if you can even call Iowa "prestegious") than Minnesota.

I know what I just bolded and discussed only equals around 57%, but there was 23% more of Walt Goggins post I disagreed with that I didn't feel like going into detail about.

Hey, I prefer good old Iowa all the way. Can't stand the Gophs. But I'm not an 18-year old from Atlanta, D.C., South Florida, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, wherever. (The Cyclones do have the Big 12 pull in some places, but Iowa doesn't have an edge anywhere beyond a somewhat more successful last 35 years.)

I hope I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that most departments at the U are ranked ahead of Iowa or Iowa State's. Glad to be wrong on that score and I haven't peeked at U.S. News or whomever's ratings in a couple of years.

ISU has something like this? Iowa and ISU have pretty nice football facilities, I'll grant, but this Athletes' Village thing looks just a bit impressive to this hick.

http://nothingshortofgreatness.com/facilities.php

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Hey, I prefer good old Iowa all the way. Can't stand the Gophs. But I'm not an 18-year old from Atlanta, D.C., South Florida, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, wherever. (The Cyclones do have the Big 12 pull in some places, but Iowa doesn't have an edge anywhere beyond a somewhat more successful last 35 years.)

I hope I'm mistaken, but my understanding is that most departments at the U are ranked ahead of Iowa or Iowa State's. Glad to be wrong on that score and I haven't peeked at U.S. News or whomever's ratings in a couple of years.

ISU has something like this? Iowa and ISU have pretty nice football facilities, I'll grant, but this Athletes' Village thing looks just a bit impressive to this hick.

http://nothingshortofgreatness.com/facilities.php

I honestly don't think that ISU is too far behind that. Maybe not all right next to each other, but it's at least comparable.

• Agree
Reactions: DhaCheann

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
And here Walton Goggins has been one of my favorite actors ever since he was in Justified. I may have to rethink that.

Reactions: JP4CY

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I honestly don't think that ISU is too far behind that. Maybe not all right next to each other, but it's at least comparable.
Yeah, that is the thing about that sports complex. It is all of their major sports in one area. Who knows what that will be like once all of the sports are going and class is in full swing.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, that is the thing about that sports complex. It is all of their major sports in one area. Who knows what that will be like once all of the sports are going and class is in full swing.

Sure, but how big of a recruiting advantage is that? It's cool that the MBB players are right next door, but is that really a reason to go to school there over ISU who has the BB complex a mile away? Same with the academic center, which is less than a mile away. It would be nice to have everything right there like Minny does. But, that would be way down the list of factors in choosing a school if that was me. I'm guessing that very few schools have all of the facilities that close.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Can the title of this thread be changed? Every time I see it bumped, I think there's been some movement in Brennan's recruitment.

• Agree
Reactions: skibumspe

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Sure, but how big of a recruiting advantage is that? It's cool that the MBB players are right next door, but is that really a reason to go to school there over ISU who has the BB complex a mile away? Same with the academic center, which is less than a mile away. It would be nice to have everything right there like Minny does. But, that would be way down the list of factors in choosing a school if that was me. I'm guessing that very few schools have all of the facilities that close.
I think you and I are on the same side Frak, I think it isn't that big of an advantage, even though it looks cool right now.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

WaltonGoggins

Apr 11, 2014
And here Walton Goggins has been one of my favorite actors ever since he was in Justified. I may have to rethink that.

Sorry to disappoint.:( I'm pretty much a free agent Clown-Hok fan, so I probably please no one. I actually enjoyed the Ames football team more last year (after they got going and with the exception of the Michigan and WV games) and the Iowa City hoops team this winter. Go figure.

I think Dolphin has a better voice and is more colorful, but Walters is a much better reporter.

I'd name the Clones a 7-10 point favorite in September if forced at gunpoint.

I have the perception that the football building in IC is nicer than the one in Ames. (Accurate, or victim of a PR campaign?)

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
WaltonGiggins, there are those of us who, diagnosing your statements, believe you are a victim of your inherent biases.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
I don't get the ultimate offense people are taking to those speaking well of another school. Minnesota is a good school with an athletics problem. If they solve that, look out.
Agree, Minnesota is much like Missouri in that it is the only major school in a large state - if they ever get their act together they could be very good.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Sorry to disappoint.:( I'm pretty much a free agent Clown-Hok fan, so I probably please no one. I actually enjoyed the Ames football team more last year (after they got going and with the exception of the Michigan and WV games) and the Iowa City hoops team this winter. Go figure.

I think Dolphin has a better voice and is more colorful, but Walters is a much better reporter.

I'd name the Clones a 7-10 point favorite in September if forced at gunpoint.

I have the perception that the football building in IC is nicer than the one in Ames. (Accurate, or victim of a PR campaign?)

FB building in IC is a couple years newer. Designed by the same firm so there are a lot of similarities. It's definitely a little bit bigger and has more bells and whistles, but the two are more similar than different.

Help Support Us

Become a patron