Has Bill Self underachieved in the post season at Kansas?

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Self HAS underachieved a bit. Just not enough to worry about in the long run. He seems to struggle in the 2nd game of the tourney weekend. Not sure if it's an issue of how he game plans on a short turnaround, which member of his staff scouts teams for that game or what. Self is fantastic overall but this seems to be a bit of a weakness he has.

With how he ditched his typical offensive system to work around what his roster strengths were this year, maybe he is finally learning not to be so stubborn and is starting to build a bigger set of game plans that he can adjust a little easier. We'll see.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The biggest problem that bill "selfie" self has.... is the KU fanbase, which expects a natl championship every year....

It is a fanbase like that that creates expectations, drives funding, drives coaches... You make it sound like a bad thing.

CMC is a great example. CPR was completely fine with a 6 win bowl game. CMC is not and the fan base is slowly coming around and understanding so much more is possible. With expectations come ticket sales, come funding, comes with all the things that work towards a championship level program.

• Winner
Reactions: randomfan44

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Self HAS underachieved a bit. Just not enough to worry about in the long run. He seems to struggle in the 2nd game of the tourney weekend. Not sure if it's an issue of how he game plans on a short turnaround, which member of his staff scouts teams for that game or what. Self is fantastic overall but this seems to be a bit of a weakness he has.

With how he ditched his typical offensive system to work around what his roster strengths were this year, maybe he is finally learning not to be so stubborn and is starting to build a bigger set of game plans that he can adjust a little easier. We'll see.

I think what sets Self apart in the Big 12 is his ability to figure out the other coaches tendencies. He can match their changes or even be a step ahead of them. He knows what do to do at the right time based on the past. In the tourney he doesn't have that regularity with coaches so he does lose part of his coaching advantage.

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
I think what sets Self apart in the Big 12 is his ability to figure out the other coaches tendencies. He can match their changes or even be a step ahead of them. He knows what do to do at the right time based on the past. In the tourney he doesn't have that regularity with coaches so he does lose part of his coaching advantage.
The main thing that Self has been a victim of is bad shooting at the worst possible times by his three point shooters. I am hoping that Graham and Mason can keep hitting the deep ball for the next month. Nine more games max and then they can rest.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
It is a fanbase like that that creates expectations, drives funding, drives coaches... You make it sound like a bad thing.

CMC is a great example. CPR was completely fine with a 6 win bowl game. CMC is not and the fan base is slowly coming around and understanding so much more is possible. With expectations come ticket sales, come funding, comes with all the things that work towards a championship level program.
I don't believe this is true, but regardless, this is a Bill Self KU basketball thread. Please keep the Rhodes bashing out of this thread.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
The main thing that Self has been a victim of is bad shooting at the worst possible times by his three point shooters. I am hoping that Graham and Mason can keep hitting the deep ball for the next month. Nine more games max and then they can rest.

Also suffered from a meltdown by his players in the Michigan game a few years ago and a couple of years recently where injuries and NCAA issues affected the team. Embiid going down made KU an entirely different team and they weren't a #1 seed without him. The next year Alexander was forced to sit out because of his mom's loan and Ellis got a knee injury late in the season right when he was playing his best basketball.

He wins something like 72% of his tournament games at KU. That is really good. Upsets happen in the tournament. It was built for that and some people don't understand that, see people who freak out about losing ISU losing to UAB under Fred.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik and Doc

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Too bad you can't watch the Big 12 Tournament games since a lot of them are on ESPNU
Oh, no, I will miss TCU vs Oklahoma and Texas Tech vs. Texas. Baylor vs. Kansas State, too? The horror!

None of the games that KU might possibly play in are scheduled on ESPNU. I'm good.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Oh, no, I will miss TCU vs Oklahoma and Texas Tech vs. Texas. Baylor vs. Kansas State, too? The horror!

None of the games that KU might possibly play in are scheduled on ESPNU. I'm good.

I'll watch every Big 12 game down there

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think you'd have to compare what he's done to what other teams with similar seeding have done, or to what the seeds that he has achieved have typically done, to say for sure.

You have to subscribe, but Kenpom's log5 (whatever that is) analysis gives the probability of each team in the tournament making it to each round. A 1 seed typically has about a 80% chance to make it to the S16 and a 20-25% chance of making it to a Final 4.

It makes you realize that chaos in the tourney really should be the expectation.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Watch KU win it this year. This is not the most talented KU team but Mason is playing really well, Graham is playing with a ton of confidence. And the kicker, in my opinion, is that Jackson is playing intense, smart basketball. When compared to other one&dones like Wiggins, he seems to have bought in to the team concept much more quickly than Wiggins did.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You have to subscribe, but Kenpom's log5 (whatever that is) analysis gives the probability of each team in the tournament making it to each round. A 1 seed typically has about a 80% chance to make it to the S16 and a 20-25% chance of making it to a Final 4.

It makes you realize that chaos in the tourney really should be the expectation.

It's perhaps the least fair of the major sports for finding a champion, but most exciting because of it. I hope it never changes and they don't expand the field.

Self has generally been good but I agree that his 2nd rounds seem to not go well for some reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I'd like to add that Self is also coaching in an era where 2 and 3 seeds going down early is fairly normal, so it could be a result of the parity.
Coach K has lost as what, a 2 and 3 seed in the first round over the last 4-5 years? He's also had some really good teams not do what was expected.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016

Screen Shot 2017-03-09 at 5.30.23 PM.png