Twister Sister Summary - Fast exit for ladies

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
An all to familiar story today. An early exit from the Big 12 tourney.

I'm going to give this to you in a fairly rough form as I'm working from my phone.
In the first, Seanna picked up two fouls and went to the bench.
KSU Center Lewis had three fouls in the first. And yet we didn't push inside to force the issue.
Defense was good and KSU couldn't hit anything. Couple of treys by Em. 15-7 at quarter

KSU started the second on a 12-1 run as our offense became tentative and we started making silly passes. Mere's weak hands hurt her in every facet of her game. Three turnovers in first four possessions.

Our shooting and passing was atrocious. We shot about 20% from the field and we had air balls, missed bunnies and missed short shots. KSUs defense was good and we were slow. Ball movement became non-existent. At the half we got screwed as the shot clock expired and we should have had the ball with 1.5 tics. Not that it meant anything, but...
Half 25-24 KSU (do the math 18-8 quarter for KSU)

My thoughts at this point is our ladies can't play worse. Second half coming up.

The ladies got off to a slow start but Seanna heated things up and ISU took the lead 31-30. It was back and forth for a bit and then bad Seanna showed up with some very strange errant passes for turnovers. First four minutes we had 5 turnovers. It just started to get ugly as KSU hit and we looked completely out of sync. End of quarter it's 54-47. Only some moderately good defense kept it close.

The fourth came alive with Bowe and Seanna leading the way. Aggression and passing tied the game at 56. From then on the ladies couldn't buy a basket for anything. Our "stars" went from three to one as Seanna is the only one to perform. A couple of late treys didn't help when KSU was perfect from the line. Ugliest game of the year in my book. Sisters go home again final 74-67. The ladies went without a basket at the end of the game for over four minutes.

Observations
Carlton- COMPLETELY out of the game. Defensive lapses. Couldn't score from any range.

Jadda - rarely was aggressive to the hoop. When she was she got results. Unfortunately this was few and far between.

Seanna - other than a brief lapse in the third she was the only spark we had.

Bowe - played a solid game defensively but couldn't hit her jumper throughout the game. Tough defensively on a much bigger girl.

Durr hit some threes but missed many more. Appeared to be bothered by her elbow.

TeeTee- has to find some semblance of offense. Otherwise we are playing five on four.

Officials - I don't usually gripe about the stripes but this crew missed a bunch of calls. They hardly knew a travel if it jumped up and bit them. They had lots of chances as KSU traveled a lot!

Strangest turnover. KSU gets rebound and the girl just starts walking with the ball. Weird. Fit this game though.

We got beat at our own game today - free throws. KSU iced it at the line and a few desperation treys made little impact on the outcome.

Just an outlandishly strange game as it appeared some of our stars just weren't ready to go. When two of your three all conference players combine for two baskets when it counts you aren't going to win.

So now we wait. Do they make the cut for the dance or get relegated to the WNIT? Do they recover and out in a solid performance or fade with a whimper?

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
I know everybody puts a premium on making the ncaa. But how far would this team actually go? NIT is winnable

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Having Amy Bonner as one of your zebras is usually not a recipe for an Iowa State win. That said, this team just didn't play well today. It was basically back to the way things went before the five game winning streak. I still think we make the NCAAs because K-State's numbers are really decent this year and the loss shouldn't hurt us in the eyes of the selection committee. But if we're going to win our first post-season game in years, things will need to change and change quickly.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Durr scored 21 points, played 37 minutes. That hit on her elbow while she was shooting a three caused her to have to see the trainer, wasn't a foul called. smh

In the end I think KSU's length was just too much for ISU.

Goth now killed ISU in 2 games, with Brewer riding pine most of the game, there really wasn't much reason to play so much zone.

I think Bridget was a little gun shy in shooting, like Deonte Burton is at times....for some reason.

Seemed ISU was outcoached, and outplayed. Their bench scored 45 points.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
"TeeTee - has to find some semblance of offense. Otherwise we are playing five on four"

Starks is what she is - she has always has limited offensive skills, in high school and with her North Tartan AAU squad.
If you are pointing out that we play "four on five" when she is on the floor (and I agree), then you should question why Fennelly offered her in the first place. Lots of teams chose not to. It's not Tee Tee's fault though.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
"TeeTee - has to find some semblance of offense. Otherwise we are playing five on four"

Starks is what she is - she has always has limited offensive skills, in high school and with her North Tartan AAU squad.
If you are pointing out that we play "four on five" when she is on the floor (and I agree), then you should question why Fennelly offered her in the first place. Lots of teams chose not to. It's not Tee Tee's fault though.

I think TeeTee is just fine to me. She isn't the reason the team shot bricks today. We had lots of open mid-range and bunny shots that didn't go down.

She's just a freshman, even though redshirted. The issue was KSU is tall, ISU is not, and ISU couldn't knock down open shots or get up layups against KSU's length.

Who knows why, with all the guards we have on the bench, we could have tried doing some pressing today....or using TeeTee as an on guard defender making the other team work to get the ball in and down the court....Just saying.

• Agree
Reactions: mitten1975

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I think TeeTee is just fine to me. She isn't the reason the team shot bricks today. We had lots of open mid-range and bunny shots that didn't go down.

She's just a freshman, even though redshirted. The issue was KSU is tall, ISU is not, and ISU couldn't knock down open shots or get up layups against KSU's length.

Who knows why, with all the guards we have on the bench, we could have tried doing some pressing today....or using TeeTee as an on guard defender making the other team work to get the ball in and down the court....Just saying.
It isn't in Bill's system.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Starks is a bulldog defender - in reffing several of her North Tartan games, I noticed she loved to press and disrupt things. And she has talent - we weren't the only P5 school recruiting her - just not on the offensive side in terms of jump shooting.

Reactions: barometriclow

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
TT reminds me of Denae Stuckey, not a big scorer but a tough defender. Let us see if she gets better as DS did in her time at ISU.

Last edited:

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
Durr scored 21 points, played 37 minutes. That hit on her elbow while she was shooting a three caused her to have to see the trainer, wasn't a foul called. smh

In the end I think KSU's length was just too much for ISU.

Goth now killed ISU in 2 games, with Brewer riding pine most of the game, there really wasn't much reason to play so much zone.

I think Bridget was a little gun shy in shooting, like Deonte Burton is at times....for some reason.

Seemed ISU was outcoached, and outplayed. Their bench scored 45 points.

Brewer???

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
Having Amy Bonner as one of your zebras is usually not a recipe for an Iowa State win. That said, this team just didn't play well today. It was basically back to the way things went before the five game winning streak. I still think we make the NCAAs because K-State's numbers are really decent this year and the loss shouldn't hurt us in the eyes of the selection committee. But if we're going to win our first post-season game in years, things will need to change and change quickly.

As to the officials our record with these three is this Brian 2 wins 4 losses, Amy 1 win 2 losses and Maj 1 win and 2 losses and our record wit two or the three together we are 1 win 3 losses. My only issue is what I have with all of the refs. Be consistent on both ends of the court. I know our players foul but have you noticed (except for the really blown calls) when our players get a foul they just take it in stride while a number of players (and coaches) in the league look at the ref as if they made a big mistake and did not commit the foul.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Starks is a bulldog defender - in reffing several of her North Tartan games, I noticed she loved to press and disrupt things. And she has talent - we weren't the only P5 school recruiting her - just not on the offensive side in terms of jump shooting.

You know a lot more about woman's basketball then I do however I do agree from my casual dumb fan perspective. From watching some of the HS playoffs up here it seems to me the style of basketball they run at Hopkins HS (press/disrupt) that Starks was so successful at is nothing like the Fennelly style. They are like polar opposites to me. Having watched her in HS I thought ISU was a curious pick for her.

• Informative
Reactions: C.John

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I know everybody puts a premium on making the ncaa. But how far would this team actually go? NIT is winnable

NIT we'd probably get some games in Ames and I'd go. NCAA I don't even know where we would be seeded. This team could win 2 games in the NCAA's or be one and done depending on which team shows up.

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
While I hated to see us go out in the first game at least it was a close (till the end when we went to the foul route) game. We were beat by a higher seeded/rated team unlike Oklahoma who was blown out by WVU.

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
I am aware as a Wildcat that Kansas State has a very tall team. My question was "who is Brewer?"