Free Agent Adrian Peterson

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't fear AP in Green Bay. What is AP's biggest weakness? Pass Blocking. What is any Green Bay RB going to be asked to do with huge regularity? Pass Block. Also, AP doesn't catch the ball out of the backfield....

Agree, along with the fact that he puts the ball on the ground way too much for most coaches' liking. The ego and money expectations will be the biggest hurdle and it will be interesting to see who takes that on.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Agree, along with the fact that he puts the ball on the ground way too much for most coaches' liking. The ego and money expectations will be the biggest hurdle and it will be interesting to see who takes that on.

not to mention, his effectiveness is nowhere near the same when he's asked to line up in a shotgun formation. He needs to go to a team that will let him line up deep, and pound it. I don't think Green Bay is that kind of team. If he ends up going there, it won't be as a feature back, or a big part of their offense. They've got a freight train of an offense as it is, without him.

• Agree
Reactions: CTTB78

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
This is the reason players are just jersey numbers to me until they retire.
It's fine if #28 wants to go be #28 in Green Bay.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've been ready to see him move on ever since the suspension.

I definitely don't have the same sentiment for AP that some Vikes fans do. I think of the fumbles in New Orleans. I struggle to reconcile the idea of cheering for him as a person, too.

I don't hate the guy or anything, but it's pretty clear he's not a real good guy and he's been of little use to the franchise for a couple of years, while cashing some huge checks. You don't take a year off at 30 and get better, IMO.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I've been ready to see him move on ever since the suspension.

I definitely don't have the same sentiment for AP that some Vikes fans do. I think of the fumbles in New Orleans. I struggle to reconcile the idea of cheering for him as a person, too.

I don't hate the guy or anything, but it's pretty clear he's not a real good guy and he's been of little use to the franchise for a couple of years, while cashing some huge checks. You don't take a year off at 30 and get better, IMO.

The final straw for me was when AP said he would decide if he was going to play in the final games this season. He didn't say he wasn't healthy, just proclaiming that he would decide if he played. I'm sure the coaches loved hearing him say he called the shots.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
As a Vikings fan it's bitter sweet. Adrian was the best RB in the league for years and he deserved better results than what the team gave him. However, his shelf life isn't worth what he wants to be paid. I'm also pretty high on Mckinnon.

• Agree
Reactions: TykeClone

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wonder what AP and his agent are seeking. I can't imagine any team throwing more than 6-7 million per year at him. Consider what the top free agent RBs got last year:

Doug Martin RB TB TB (5 years, $35.75 million)
Matt Forte RB CHI NYJ (3 years, $12 million)
Chris Ivory RB NYJ JAX (5 years, $32.5 million)
Lamar Miller RB MIA HOU (4 years, $26 million)

Given his age, poor pass blocking skills, and recent productivity or lack thereof, is he really worth more than any of these guys got? I think he's going to be very disappointed to see what his market value is.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Thought it was interesting to hear the ESPN talking heads say he was the 3rd or even 4th best FA running back now available. I would be shocked if he gets anything close to $6 million a year. The Minneapolis media take is that he will get a big incentive laden contract somewhere to save face.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
As a Vikings fan it's bitter sweet. Adrian was the best RB in the league for years and he deserved better results than what the team gave him. However, his shelf life isn't worth what he wants to be paid. I'm also pretty high on Mckinnon.

As a starter? No chance. He is a 3rd down back, nothing more, nothing less.

Draft is loaded at RB this year...easy decision to let AP go and draft his replacement.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I wonder what AP and his agent are seeking. I can't imagine any team throwing more than 6-7 million per year at him. Consider what the top free agent RBs got last year:

Doug Martin RB TB TB (5 years, $35.75 million)
Matt Forte RB CHI NYJ (3 years, $12 million)
Chris Ivory RB NYJ JAX (5 years, $32.5 million)
Lamar Miller RB MIA HOU (4 years, $26 million)

Given his age, poor pass blocking skills, and recent productivity or lack thereof, is he really worth more than any of these guys got? I think he's going to be very disappointed to see what his market value is.

Add to it that he's not effective out of the shotgun and not good at catching passes out of the backfield. He's a dinosaur that's only good out of the I formation, which is run a lot less than it used to be.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
As a starter? No chance. He is a 3rd down back, nothing more, nothing less.

Draft is loaded at RB this year...easy decision to let AP go and draft his replacement.

Not meant to be snarky, but do the Vikes have many draft picks left?

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Slightly off topic, I have AP as a keeper in my fantasy league for the last 5 years. Should I dump him finally or keep him this year?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Draft starts Thursday, and they won't make their first pick until late Friday night.

Yeah, they're out their first round pick in the Bradford trade, but they've still got their 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks, so they should be in a position to get some decent talent on day 2.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Green Bay isn't taking him. Two things about Green Bay that say it's nearly improbable to happen. 1. They draft their players. (Only a few free agents on the team). 2. They usually get rid of backs when they hit 30. They feel they can get a serviceable one in the draft much cheaper.

They are looking at Oline and linebackers and corners now. RB is not where they are highly concerned.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, they're out their first round pick in the Bradford trade, but they've still got their 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks, so they should be in a position to get some decent talent on day 2.

What did Long cost them? Thought he hit them for picks also.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yeah, by all accounts it's a deep draft. I suppose if there's a player they really like late in the first they could try to move up but they can get decent value where they're at right now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron