Lanning to play some at linebacker???

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
My initial reaction to the idea was "no way." But then I considered myself in Lanning's shoes. You acknowledge Park & Noland as the QB duo of the future and start to wonder about your playing time as a RS senior. I'd probably request a few snaps at linebacker if I were him just to try it out. Lanning definitely has the size and toughness for it. Not saying it'd work, but it may be worth a shot.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I think if they wanted to move him away from QB, I'd go TE, RB, WR or something that actually touches the ball before I'd go defense.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ENGR 79

Apr 16, 2006
Marshalltown
There's no way he could LB next year. Picking up a new position that he's never played before isn't easy.
Derrick Walker successfully transitioned from QB to LB back in 1999-2000. Not saying it's the right thing for JL, but it can be done. Walker had never previously played defense.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I could see him playing linebacker next year, but not also while being the backup quarterback. A position switch of that magnitude would require a ton of work, and even backup quarterbacks have way too much on their plates for him to do both.

I agree, but I wonder if he could still run his small package of short yardage plays while being a full-time LB. He wouldn't be the backup QB, just a situational/emergency QB. He wouldn't have to go through all of the QB prep.

We definitely could use him at LB if he could help there.

Cymon

Apr 10, 2006
Ankeny
How would a former player know that Noland is the best QB on the team when he was hurt last year?
This player is still around the program. Noland didn't get hurt coming off the bus to Ames. He has practiced with the team. And like I said, take it for what it's worth. I don't care if you believe me or not.

• Useful
Reactions: aauummm

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I'm not sure of your intent, but none of this contradicts anything that I said. Short yardage, penalties, what have you, none of that changes the fact he did not record a statistic. He won't play more than 5-10 plays per game.
I think his intent was to deflect blame from CMC. It may not have been your intent to blame him, but he appears to have taken it that way.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I know CMC was REALLY high on Zeb last year. So I don't think it would be all that surprising if Park was #1 and Noland #2 going into next year, with Lanning maybe only used sparingly at QB inside the 5 or 10 yd line.

If that were the case, could Lanning still play some LB, or H-back when he isn't in at QB? I don't see why not? It would make a lot more sense to me to see him in some kind of H-back role though with his ability to run people over, as well as the option of handing him the ball with the option to throw.

I don't see our LB position as such a weakness that we need to put Lanning there, but maybe the coaching staff doesn't see it that way?

I just know that Lanning NEEDS to play and be on the field a lot somewhere. He's a baller, and he's too much of a talent to be standing on the sideline.

DrT

Nov 17, 2012
Mammoth Lakes, CA
  • Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: SCNCY and Rossmt

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Am I the only one who doesn't think Lanning is poor passer? I mean he throws a far prettier deep ball than Park and it isn't like Park set the world on fire last year. Just seems like everyone has written him off as a terrible passer and I think its far from the truth.

Either way idc how Lanning gets on the field. He needs to play, and if he doesn't I would call Campbell a fool.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Love to see JL get 40 carries/500 yards/8TDS against Tech next fall.

Give the Offense a break and the OL gets to do what OLs like best.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
FAR too valuable a commodity on offense to risk injury playing defense! I have always been intrigued by the potential trickeration in using TWO QB's together!

Playing two QBs maybe gives you more options for trickeration, but I don't really see it giving much of a benefit. If you're playing a disciplined defense, it won't do much at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Rossmt

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I ran into a former player over the weekend that said Lanning would be at LB and that Noland is the best QB on the team. Take it for what it's worth.

We can only hope this is true. IF so, the future is AMAZING for the offense!!!!:):):):)

• Agree
Reactions: Rossmt

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Lanning might be our best RB.
giphy.gif

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
All of which Park was not present for. How can they fairly be compared?
Well considering Park has a whole season ahead of Zeb, if Noland really is better than Park that should speak volumes to his ability. Not sure what you're getting at with this point.

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
Seeing as we have been making linebacker comparisons about Lanning ever since he ran over a bunch of Texas players in his starting debut, this seems like a great idea. I think some people are underestimating how much leadership and knowledge he could bring to the other side of the ball. LBs are basically the QB of the defense. One aspect is knowing your own scheme and how you fit into it, but the best defenders can read the offense and know what play is coming before it happens. Lanning has potential to thrive in both, especially with the offensive knowledge he has.

No matter what he plays, I'm glad he plays for us!