Lanning to play some at linebacker???

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I have a hard time seeing this happening. He had a ton of TDs last year rushing, even late in the season with Park as #1

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Lanning lines up in the slot...he motions toward park but behind him. Snap to Park, toss to Lanning. Run pass option since he has ball 7 yards deep heading to edge. Just saying.

And then fake-tosses to Lanning, and throws deep. It would almost be unstoppable, you could have the defense guessing so much...

Reactions: tolfbfan

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I ran into a former player over the weekend that said Lanning would be at LB and that Noland is the best QB on the team. Take it for what it's worth.

If that's true, it's worth a lot.

Reactions: 2020cy

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
There's no way he could LB next year. Picking up a new position that he's never played before isn't easy.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I could see him playing linebacker next year, but not also while being the backup quarterback. A position switch of that magnitude would require a ton of work, and even backup quarterbacks have way too much on their plates for him to do both.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

isume6

May 22, 2011
OKC
I can believe the Lanning to LB talk.....if you have watched the short video clips the football program has been putting out for the winter workouts, Lanning has been in a yellow jersey in all of them. QB's have the green jerseys for no touching. Blue have always been used for injured or limited players, Red for offense, and Yellow for defense, if I am not mistaken. Have been wondering what was going on with his development this year.

Like others, I would hate to lose the LanRam package for short yardage or goal line stuff, but I think he is smart enough to be able to deal with those while focusing his efforts elsewhere on the field. Shows his leadership skills and work ethic, doing what is best for the team despite what he might most want to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I'm not convinced Lanning will play a big role in our offense this year. He didn't even play 7 days after rushing for 171 yards and 5 touchdowns last year. Well, he played for 1 snap, rushed for a touchdown (that was called back) and Campbell benched him again. Oh and we got smoked in that game.

I'd love to see Joel come in for short yardage as a spark to our run game. But despite what Campbell has voiced as his potential, it didn't even get utilized. What is so convincing that time will change that? That's probably why they are trying him at LB-- because his use on offense will be limited.

For the record, I'm not saying he won't play-- he just won't play more than 5-10 plays per game. (which is more than he played vs WVU)

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
We need linebackers, might be a heck of a move. Get your best players on the field.

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
I'm not convinced Lanning will play a big role in our offense this year. He didn't even play 7 days after rushing for 171 yards and 5 touchdowns last year. Well, he played for 1 snap, rushed for a touchdown (that was called back) and Campbell benched him again. Oh and we got smoked in that game.

I'd love to see Joel come in for short yardage as a spark to our run game. But despite what Campbell has voiced as his potential, it didn't even get utilized. What is so convincing that time will change that? That's probably why they are trying him at LB-- because his use on offense will be limited.

For the record, I'm not saying he won't play-- he just won't play more than 5-10 plays per game. (which is more than he played vs WVU)
First there was not many short yardage situations in the the WV game, even lanning pointed that out. Second Campbell wants success from lanning or he wouldn't of use him so much in the tech game. Third it wasn't Campbell fault the touchdown was called back.

• Agree
Reactions: CyInDFW

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
First there was not many short yardage situations in the the WV game, even lanning pointed that out. Second Campbell wants success from lanning or he wouldn't of use him so much in the tech game. Third it wasn't Campbell fault the touchdown was called back.

I'm not sure of your intent, but none of this contradicts anything that I said. Short yardage, penalties, what have you, none of that changes the fact he did not record a statistic. He won't play more than 5-10 plays per game.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
He should be a TE/H-Back/FB. You need to get the ball in his hands. If he plays LB, I would imagine it won't be very good. When do you suppose the last time he tackled someone was? There's also a chance that he goes somewhere to play QB if you try that.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rick and Rossmt