RIP Bill Paxton

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Maybe im mistaken, but dont some CF'ers have some fun stories of Paxton when he was in Ames filming Twister?

My wife worked at the Silver Saddle Motel in Ames where much of the staff and some cast stayed during filming. All she ever said was everyone thought Helen Hunt was a *****.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
I guess I am watching Twister tonight instead of the Oscars.

This one goes out to you, Bill...

Which leads to my semi-serious question...can they get him in during the "In Memoriam" segment? I seem to remember some actors or other Hollywood movers & shakers dying less than 3 days before the Oscars, and they weren't in. (I want to say they didn't even mention or acknowledge them in the intro to the segment)

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Which leads to my semi-serious question...can they get him in during the "In Memoriam" segment? I seem to remember some actors or other Hollywood movers & shakers dying less than 3 days before the Oscars, and they weren't in. (I want to say they didn't even mention or acknowledge them in the intro to the segment)
Doesn't "In Memoriam" generally cover all of those lost during the calendar year covered by show - as in 2016? I would expect him to be in next year's "In Memoriam".

• Agree
Reactions: Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Sad news. One of the better character actors who was also strong enough to become a leading man in Hollywood.

I cannot remember for the life of me any real stinkers that he was in. Some of his movies, like "Twister", may have been mindless popcorn summer blockbuster type of movies, but at least they were entertaining.

I've mentioned it before on here, but one of my all-time favorite Bill Paxton movies is an underrated, little known gem of a psychological thriller called "Frailty". Holy sh!t is that a good movie. Also starred Matthew McConaughey and one of his "Tombstone" co-stars, Powers Boothe. It might be hard to find, but by all means make the effort to find it.
Yes Frailty is a excellent movie if you like horror/suspense films.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Whhhhaaaaaat?

News reports are saying it was from complications from surgery. And didn't he just start a TV series based on the movie "Training Day"?

Tombstone will have to be watched this week.
Has this been said yet - his Morgan Earp death scene the best ever.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Stop your grinnin' & drop your linen!

RIP Bill. You are in some of my all time favorite movies.

Speaking of Twister and that BAD ASS Van Halen tune, why hasn't ISU ever tried to use anything from that at sporting events?

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Always a favorite of mine. My favorite role of his is probably in Hatfields and McCoys. Him and Costner were great in that deal.

Also, it is always weird to hear of people dying of complications in surgery in the 21st Century. We have figured so much out, yet those things still happen.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Always a favorite of mine. My favorite role of his is probably in Hatfields and McCoys. Him and Costner were great in that deal.

Also, it is always weird to hear of people dying of complications in surgery in the 21st Century. We have figured so much out, yet those things still happen.
Heart surgery is pretty common at our age (we were born the same year). I saw somewhere that he threw a clot post-surgery and stroked out. Rare, but it does happen.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles

I had a close friend die last summer same thing, he went in for heart surgery, and had a stroke,

You think they get out of surgery they are through the worst and then a stroke happens.

Recording the oscars tonight and watching Tombstone.

RIP Bill Paxton just a versatile actor

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron