Lanning to play some at linebacker???

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
It would be crazy for him to play wide receiver with that position as loaded as it is

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
It will be interesting to see how the staff uses Lanning. I think his value is as a hard running QB. It seems like a true position change would be a waste this late in his career.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I'm concerned about RB. An injury to Montgomery or Warren and we could be in some deep trouble. Hope Croney is good. I guess Ryen could play some back there.

That's why Lanning at RB could happen if needed too.

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
I don't often toot my own horn, mainly because I'm frequently wrong... But I'm on record on this site - from the moment I saw Park throw his first pass against Iowa - that he'd be the starting QB before the season ended. The guy is a Sunday QB. My back feels pretty good from my own patting.

But more germane to the thread, I also said Campbell would find a way to get Lanning on the field. The kid flat out has football skills - and intangibles. Campbell is doing him a service. At QB his career ends this year in mediocrity. Somewhere else - who knows?

And if you don't think he's going to be making appearances at QB in short yardage situations - at a minimum - I think you're crazy. Like I said, in different terms, kid is a baller. Just not a full time QB.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't often toot my own horn, mainly because I'm frequently wrong... But I'm on record on this site - from the moment I saw Park throw his first pass against Iowa - that he'd be the starting QB before the season ended. The guy is a Sunday QB. My back feels pretty good from my own patting.

But more germane to the thread, I also said Campbell would find a way to get Lanning on the field. The kid flat out has football skills - and intangibles. Campbell is doing him a service. At QB his career ends this year in mediocrity. Somewhere else - who knows?

And if you don't think he's going to be making appearances at QB in short yardage situations - at a minimum - I think you're crazy. Like I said, in different terms, kid is a baller. Just not a full time QB.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Lanning is definitely a baller. Tough as nails. He needs to be on the field somewhere. I could actually see him play some QB, some RB..... and LB before WR IMO. We have no need for him at WR.

• Agree

CloneConer

Apr 15, 2016
Not sure what you're asking? I know nothing, but I'm guessing the staff might be looking to bring in a RB from somewhere. We've had late additions before.
Ah! Wasn't sure if just speculation, or if there was a specific target we had in mind at RB.

• Agree

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Ah! Wasn't sure if just speculation, or if there was a specific target we had in mind at RB.

Not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I just think it would make the most sense to redshirt Kene this fall and bring in some graduate transfer type RB or something.

KCClone1

Feb 28, 2010
Urbandale
Can he play both ways? Maybe a run stopping LB and also a wildcat QB. Let's get the Heisman talk rolling!

CyBlitz

May 9, 2016
Not that I'm aware of, but that doesn't mean there isn't any. I just think it would make the most sense to redshirt Kene this fall and bring in some graduate transfer type RB or something.
They probably have a walkon running back who plays kind of like harger

exCYtable

Apr 15, 2010
Last week, Campbell mentioned that Zeb Noland was going to be a big part of their plans this year, which surprised me, given the depth at QB. This makes me think Zeb must be really impressing the coaching staff if they're even considering using Lanning at LB.