MLB: ***Official 2017 Chicago Cubs Spring Training Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
I figured we could use a Spring training thread since the off-season IS OVER!

What do you guys think about Schwards behind the plate? I trust Maddon (obvi), but I don't know if I would risk those knees.

Reactions: CYdTracked

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
There's probably one position player spot up for grabs, most likely between La Stella and Szczur. Szczur is out of options so if he loses out, that's the end of the road for him as a Cub. On the pitching side, there's probably two spots up for grabs and a lot of competition not just for the 25 man spots but also for the Iowa starting rotation which is a big change from last year where the Cubs ran out of AAA starters.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Good Luck getting tix but if you want to give it a shot here you go:

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Some swings from probably the Cubs Top 2 prospects (Jiminez #68 & Happ #86):

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I'm not a Cubs fan, but am heading down to Arizona to watch a couple games in the middle of next month.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
There's probably one position player spot up for grabs, most likely between La Stella and Szczur. Szczur is out of options so if he loses out, that's the end of the road for him as a Cub. On the pitching side, there's probably two spots up for grabs and a lot of competition not just for the 25 man spots but also for the Iowa starting rotation which is a big change from last year where the Cubs ran out of AAA starters.

I have a likely twenty-five player roster here. Who is in if Szczur or La Stella is out?

Montero
Contreras
Rizzo
Bryant
Zobrist
Baez
Russell
La Stella
Szczur
Jay
Almora
Schwarber
Heyward
Arrieta
Lackey
Lester
Hendricks
Montgomery
Anderson
Grimm
Strop
Rondon
Davis
Uehara
Edwards

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I doubt we see much of Schwarber behind the plate unless there is an injury. I think the mostly likely way he gets behind the plate is let's say Montero starts and late in the game they pull Schwarber from LF in a switch and remove Montero and stick Schwarber behind the plate to save Contreras on his day of rest or to pinch hit later. Maybe he talks Maddon into a few spot starts but I doubt they get too carried away with the notion of Schwarber getting regular time behind the plate not only because they have a guy now that should start 4 out of 5 days through the rotation (with Montero likely getting Arrieta's starts) and has the best arm of the 3 in Contreras but they know they have to be careful with him and I don't see them trying to find a way to play him nearly every day. I think with Baez pushing Zobrist out of 2B on most days you are going to see Schwarber probably get less starts than most think unless both Almora and Jay get pushed out of regular CF duty.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I have a likely twenty-five player roster here. Who is in if Szczur or La Stella is out?

Montero
Contreras
Rizzo
Bryant
Zobrist
Baez
Russell
La Stella
Szczur
Jay
Almora
Schwarber
Heyward
Arrieta
Lackey
Lester
Hendricks
Montgomery
Anderson
Grimm
Strop
Rondon
Davis
Uehara
Edwards

Another pitcher, Joe likes having 13 pitchers.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneinWDSM

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
Hhhmmm...could work well but wonder if he will get enough legit RBI opportunities?

What's the old cliche? You only hit leadoff once per game?

I think it's more about Maddon wanting to get him more plate appearances over the course of a season. I'm sure there's a stat about how often your 1-4 guys get AB's vs your 5-9 guys, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

Montero
Contreras
Rizzo
Bryant
Zobrist
Baez
Russell
La Stella
Szczur
Jay
Almora
Schwarber
Heyward
Arrieta
Lackey
Lester
Hendricks
Montgomery
Anderson
Grimm
Strop
Rondon
Davis
Uehara
Edwards

Smith is a Rule 5 so he is likely.
LaStella has options guessing the organization may want to check his commitment.