Music Mondays - Influential Albums

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Since I enjoyed last weeks Music Monday, and I think others did too, I'm going to try and make this a weekly occurrence.

This week we are looking at the albums that have been most influential to us. Feel free to post as many as you want.

I'll start it off with an album that the majority of CFers have probably never heard of, but it's an extremely influential album to me. I've talked about this band before and I know there are a few fiercely loyal fans on here as well.

The story begins in the early 90s. I was about 14 and I was really starting to find my own groove with music. But I still dove into the biggest library of music available to me... my older brothers CD collection. I owe a lot to my brother. He's 8 years older than me, so he provided a different perspective than the pop music on the radio. There's a lot of bands I wouldn't have heard of at a young age if it hadn't have been for my bro.

This album is chief among those gems pulled from his CD pile. I actually ignored it for a while after he bought it. I didn't know the band and the album art seemed odd at first.

After a while I decided to give it a shot and haven't looked back

311 - MUSIC

WARNING: Adult Lyrics and themes

Still one of my all time favorite albums. A combination of hard rock, hip-hop, and reggae, it opened my eyes to a lot of different styles. Some 311 fans prefer their later, more polished albums, but I always come back to MUSIC. The raw style of their first major label album is perfect to me. My favorite tracks are Welcome, Freak Out, Do You Right, and Fat Chance.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This one shouldn't be much of a surprise. Surfer Rosa by the Pixies set the stage for a lot of the music we heard in the 90's. Can't say enough about the album. It's tough to beat from an influence standpoint.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This one shouldn't be much of a surprise. Surfer Rosa by the Pixies set the stage for a lot of the music we heard in the 90's. Can't say enough about the album. It's tough to beat from an influence standpoint.

Loud. Soft. Loud.

Winner winner. Love the Pixies. Also my favorite album of theirs. I didn't get into them until later on, but still very appreciative.

StratCY

Apr 22, 2011
Austin, TX
Since I enjoyed last weeks Music Monday, and I think others did too, I'm going to try and make this a weekly occurrence.

This week we are looking at the albums that have been most influential to us. Feel free to post as many as you want.

I'll start it off with an album that the majority of CFers have probably never heard of, but it's an extremely influential album to me. I've talked about this band before and I know there are a few fiercely loyal fans on here as well.

The story begins in the early 90s. I was about 12 and I was really starting to find my own groove with music. But I still dove into the biggest library of music available to me... my older brothers CD collection. I owe a lot to my brother. He's 8 years older than me, so he provided a different perspective than the pop music on the radio. There's a lot of bands I wouldn't have heard of at a young age if it hadn't have been for my bro.

This album is chief among those gems pulled from his CD pile. I actually ignored it for a while after he bought it. I didn't know the band and the album art seemed odd at first.

After a while I decided to give it a shot and haven't looked back

WARNING: Adult Lyrics and themes

Still one of my all time favorite albums. A combination of hard rock, hip-hop, and reggae, it opened my eyes to a lot of different styles. Some 311 fans prefer their later, more polished albums, but I always come back to MUSIC. The raw style of their first major label album is perfect to me. My favorite tracks are Welcome, Freak Out, Do You Right, and Fat Chance.

LOVE me some 311. Music might be my favorite album of theirs, Grassroots being a close second.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Load by Metallica. My cousin gave me a copy in 1999 when I was 6 years old and it springboarded me into the metal/heavy grunge headbanging guitar solo-loving weirdo that I am today

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Load by Metallica. My cousin gave me a copy in 1999 when I was 6 years old and it springboarded me into the metal/heavy grunge headbanging guitar solo-loving weirdo that I am today

I remember when that came out, and how reviled it was by Metallica fans. It was absolutely hated.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Interesting. I wouldn't expect any Metallica fans to hail Load as their favorite. But I guess it all just depends on who you are and when you are exposed to it.

Now I'm just picturing a 6 year old listening to "Aint My B!tch".

I'm not a huge Metallica fan, but I'd go with ...And Justice for All, as my favorite.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Loved this album. LP was probably my favorite band throughout my high school years. Still think this is their best album. Loved the combo of rock and rap.

I remember going to see LP in Cedar Rapids when I was in college. Great live show. Hybrid Theory and Meteora were both fire from start to finish. I listened to my copies of those albums over and over for quite a while.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Cross Canadian Ragweed's self titled album grabbed my by the throat and sucked me down the Red Dirt/Texas Country/Alt-Country hole. Just a great record that had what is probably my favorite song of all time on it:

Reactions: 0u812 and cyhiphopp

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
One of my first CD's was 311-311. I still go back and listen to it from time to time.

Another one is this one. I have a strong hate for pop country music. ( Its all douche country to me.. Sorry Chris) But this album turned me on to Texas Country/Red Dirt Country/Americana Singer Songwriter Ryan Bingham.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
One of my first CD's was 311-311. I still go back and listen to it from time to time.

Another one is this one. I have a strong hate for pop country music. ( Its all douche country to me.. Sorry Chris) But this album turned me on to Texas Country/Red Dirt Country/Americana Singer Songwriter Ryan Bingham.

The Blue Album (311-311) is great. It was much more commercially successful and had a lot of good songs on it. All of a sudden a bunch of people at my high school knew who's concert t-shirt I was wearing.

Reactions: cyhawkdmb

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Absolutely true.

Some others -

The Velvet Underground & Nico - basically every rock album
The Stooges (or Funhouse or Raw Power) - basically every punk rock/hardcore album
Black Sabbath - basically every metal album
David Bowie's Low - basically every 80's new wave album

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley

This is Ryan Bingham's best album. Great music.

Reactions: 0u812 and cyhawkdmb

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Cross Canadian Ragweed's self titled album grabbed my by the throat and sucked me down the Red Dirt/Texas Country/Alt-Country hole. Just a great record that had what is probably my favorite song of all time on it:

I was going to ask if this was an improvement over all that pop country stuff you hate so much. ;)

Good song. It gets back to that classic story telling style of country music. I'm not a huge country fan but this kind of stuff I can get behind.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812 and Bret44

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
'Kid A' by Radiohead was a mindbender, and I know it's not all that beloved by many fans but I've always liked it and think it speaks to the band's penchant for saying what the **** and making whatever music they want.

As a child of the 80s I grew up listening to The Smiths, The Replacements, REM, etc. Then I fell for Pavement in the 90s. But I'm not always open minded with new music. That said, when I heard 'Oracular Spectacular' by MGMT the first time I was pretty blown away.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Another release during that seemingly golden period of the early 90s. This is one of the first bands and albums I latched on to all by myself. My older brother didn't have a hand in this one, but I loved it none the less.

Every time I hear the opening bars of the opening song Cherub Rock, I am transported back to my teenage years, listening to music way too loud on my stereo in my room.

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
'Kid A' by Radiohead was a mindbender, and I know it's not all that beloved by many fans but I've always liked it and think it speaks to the band's penchant for saying what the **** and making whatever music they want.

As a child of the 80s I grew up listening to The Smiths, The Replacements, REM, etc. Then I fell for Pavement in the 90s. But I'm not always open minded with new music. That said, when I heard 'Oracular Spectacular' by MGMT the first time I was pretty blown away.

Kid A is one of my favorite Radiohead albums. For some of the same reasons. They really started stretching their boundaries on Kid A and have reinvented themselves several times on albums since then.

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast, 1982. I was heading into my sophomore year of high school and it was the greatest sound I had ever heard. I've listened to Maiden nearly every day since then and will see them for the 17th time this June.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron