CF Diplomacy: Who wants in?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The idea came out of the OT thread about games.

Who wants to play some Diplomacy, the classic game of deals and conquest from the time right before the First World War?

It's free online here:
http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

We can sign up, trade user names, and get ourselves rolling. It's been a while, so I forgot how to set it up, but it's not too complicated for us.

The game, that's the hard part. Everyone starts rougly equal. It's more about strategy and political gamesmanship to conquer the # of supply centers needed to win. Nobody's armies are stronger than anyone else. It's a matter of how you make things work (and often seeing that there weren't many options to put things together).

Reactions: keepngoal

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I'll play but, let's wait a bit and see if we can get some others

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
The map, for anyone looking for a visual.

colordip.gif

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
As the current King of Diplomacy (I won the first game we played on here a few years ago), I'm glad to see this happening again. It was great fun the first time around. In order to keep it fair for you newbies I'll sit this one out so you have a chance to win. It's a wonderful and entertaining game - it's like risk but without the randomness of dice rolling. You get the opportunity to really make friends with the other players.

Here's some tips from This King on how you might become CF's Emperor of Diplomacy

Before the game starts:

1. Familiarize yourself with the game rules and round times before it starts.

2. I suggest setting reminders on your phone/calendar to ensure that you do not forget to put in your orders for the round. Missing a round of orders hurts.

3. Once you get assigned a country, take a few minutes to read up on potential strategies for that country. There is a forum attached to that website that is a good place to start. Having a plan early on or at least having some good options can really help you start off well and be less reliant on the other players. It doesn't take long to learn a few good openings and the likely win-scenarios for your country.

Once the game is going:

1. COMMUNICATE - this game is all about communication. Talk to the other players via the messaging system in game. Talk to everyone early and often. Welcome people to the game and start building relationships / getting a feel for people asap. Even if they are on the opposite side of the board from you, take the time to talk. The best time to start a relationship is when you aren't in conflict and have little to offer each other.

2. Be as honest as possible - this game is a game of relationship building as much as strategy. Sometimes, strategically, the best thing is to tell people exactly what you are going to do. It builds trust and the more lies you tell, the more you have to keep up with. There is also the chance the other players are talking to each other about you just as much as they talk with you.

3. If you are going to stab someone in the back and there is risk of it becoming a stalemate or drawn-out engagement, maintain communication throughout. It might make sense to attack them this round, but you might find yourself needing them a few rounds later if you can't knock them out quickly.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
As the current King of Diplomacy (I won the first game we played on here a few years ago), I'm glad to see this happening again. It was great fun the first time around. In order to keep it fair for you newbies I'll sit this one out so you have a chance to win. It's a wonderful and entertaining game - it's like risk but without the randomness of dice rolling. You get the opportunity to really make friends with the other players.

Here's some tips from This King on how you might become CF's Emperor of Diplomacy

Before the game starts:

1. Familiarize yourself with the game rules and round times before it starts.

2. I suggest setting reminders on your phone/calendar to ensure that you do not forget to put in your orders for the round. Missing a round of orders hurts.

3. Once you get assigned a country, take a few minutes to read up on potential strategies for that country. There is a forum attached to that website that is a good place to start. Having a plan early on or at least having some good options can really help you start off well and be less reliant on the other players. It doesn't take long to learn a few good openings and the likely win-scenarios for your country.

Once the game is going:

1. COMMUNICATE - this game is all about communication. Talk to the other players via the messaging system in game. Talk to everyone early and often. Welcome people to the game and start building relationships / getting a feel for people asap. Even if they are on the opposite side of the board from you, take the time to talk. The best time to start a relationship is when you aren't in conflict and have little to offer each other.

2. Be as honest as possible - this game is a game of relationship building as much as strategy. Sometimes, strategically, the best thing is to tell people exactly what you are going to do. It builds trust and the more lies you tell, the more you have to keep up with. There is also the chance the other players are talking to each other about you just as much as they talk with you.

3. If you are going to stab someone in the back and there is risk of it becoming a stalemate or drawn-out engagement, maintain communication throughout. It might make sense to attack them this round, but you might find yourself needing them a few rounds later if you can't knock them out quickly.
Last time I played, you betrayed me on day 2 ****.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Im in, unless its live... cuz i cant right this second due to work :( I could play basically any time that's not a M/W/F afternoon, though. Or during a home basketball game.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Pride, want to get a second game going?

Here's the info to look for to get in this one:

Game name: Return of Cyclone Fanatics
Password: cwgarlic

I've got it set for things to process every 12 hours, if that works. We can go longer, but it can drag then.