Babysitters for Brian

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Wow, Kirk is paying O'Keefe over $500K as QB coach which is more than Brian makes I believe. Then he hires North Dakota State Offensive Coordinator as O-Line coach. I guess he feels Brian needs plenty of people to watch over him. Maybe this promotion was a bit too early?

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Not really concerned, just amused. Kind of looking forward to the O'Keefe style coming back.

By the way, I don't necessarily see youth as a qualification, but, since you do I'd guess our staff is still younger than yours. Starting with one of the youngest Power 5 coaches in the country.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Wow, Kirk is paying O'Keefe over $500K as QB coach which is more than Brian makes I believe. Then he hires North Dakota State Offensive Coordinator as O-Line coach. I guess he feels Brian needs plenty of people to watch over him. Maybe this promotion was a bit too early?

Yeah, but I hear Brian is getting a sweet deal in his contract on some subsidized housing.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
I understand, I would be concerned too if I was an ISU fan.

Your biggest rivals coaching staff just got much better and much younger in a months time.
You got younger by hiring w hiring a 63 yr old man? At least they hired a guy from NIU so they have a contact to steal some more NIU commits again next year.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
You got younger by hiring w hiring a 63 yr old man? At least they hired a guy from NIU so they have a contact to steal some more NIU commits again next year.

Yes, along with the 2 other assistants who both are in their mid-30's I believe.

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Time for full Ferentz family nepotism employment. Mary is most qualified to babysit Brian.
What is this, like the fifth time you've used this one?

original.gif

He hasn't given Mary a job yet has he?
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/greg-davis-retires.225098/page-3#post-5511839

Still surprised Mary Ferentz didn't just get the job.
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/ui-aaup-sanctions.218599/#post-5268422

All this bickering, I am not even sure which Freerentz family member is Iowa's offensive line coach. Mary?
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/juan-harris.195648/page-12#post-5266881

Are all of the kids employed by football? Maybe she'll get the AD spot if Barta ever goes. (Please keep Barta).
http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/sally-mason-stepping-down-at-iowa.198647/page-6#post-4777619

I gave up after that one.

Last edited:

JD4560

Nov 12, 2015
They should of hired the NDSU guy for offensive coordinator. That way they might have a consistent and unpredictable offense. But hey why would Captain Kirk wanna change.

Reactions: Brandon

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
This NDSU guy will become the OC when BF becomes the HC upon KF's retirement. Guessing that was part of the sales pitch to bring him in. Doubt KF would hire this guy knowing he very well could leave Iowa for another OC job at a MAC school in 3 years. Messes with the staff consistency he wants.

Since 2012 KF has been designing BF's path to being the next OC coach, he brought in BF and Greg Davis (a guy out of work and limited years left in his career) that year. With Brian well on his path to being in line to being the next HC, he has moved on to creating the future staff around BF. Most of the recent hires have been young guys. Guys with lots of years left in coaching that would be around for awhile as BF starts his tenure as HC to make it a smooth transition. KF, dad of the century.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The ISU obsession with Iowa football continues.

I guess its more exciting than talking about going 3-9 again this fall.

You must not read Hawkeye message boards. There are people very obsessed with all things ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I understand, I would be concerned too if I was an ISU fan.

Your biggest rivals coaching staff just got much better and much younger in a months time.

Easy to see how you understand, I mean you went through the same thing a year ago.

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016
This NDSU guy will become the OC when BF becomes the HC upon KF's retirement. Guessing that was part of the sales pitch to bring him in. Doubt KF would hire this guy knowing he very well could leave Iowa for another OC job at a MAC school in 3 years. Messes with the staff consistency he wants.

Since 2012 KF has been designing BF's path to being the next OC coach, he brought in BF and Greg Davis (a guy out of work and limited years left in his career) that year. With Brian well on his path to being in line to being the next HC, he has moved on to creating the future staff around BF. Most of the recent hires have been young guys. Guys with lots of years left in coaching that would be around for awhile as BF starts his tenure as HC to make it a smooth transition. KF, 2 time national coach of the year.

FIFY