NORML shirts

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
570ec555eaa3a.image.png

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
is it allowed because ISU sponsors the group? who determines which groups are sponsored? I can't imagine anyone can use trademarks on shirts whenever they want. What's the back-story?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
is it allowed because ISU sponsors the group? who determines which groups are sponsored? I can't imagine anyone can use trademarks on shirts whenever they want. What's the back-story?

Looks like the University approved the design back in 2010:

In October 2010, a shirt design that read NORML on the front with the ISU mascot Cy as the O and the phrase "Freedom is NORML at ISU" on the back with a marijuana leaf above NORML was submitted. The shirt was approved and met the standards of the ISU trademark office at the time.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_b3682566-0180-11e4-a60f-0019bb2963f4.html

But that is in regards to this shirt:
52e6efc6ef44a.image.jpg

So now I don't know which design was/wasn't approved.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

From the article

Even though the university approved the group’s original design that incorporated the mascot and a marijuana leaf, Leath and the others blocked it claiming it violated the school’s trademark policy after getting pressure from conservative lawmakers and an appointee of Republican Gov. Terry Branstad who saw a story about the group’s planned T-shirt in a Des Moines Register article.

I'm kind of surprised it was initially approved but it looks like their argument was that the process of ISU changing their minds was against the usual process.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron