CJL

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I know she signed a new 7 year contract in 2013? Cook signed a 5 year 575,000 a year per at Nebraska that will keep him there until he potentially retires after 2021. Is there any chance we lose her? IL would have to pay her more than the 200,000 a year they paid Hambly.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
  • CJL is not Hoiberg. Let's get that out of the way.
  • To be frank, CJL has not yet had the type of success that would make her highly desirable to Nebby or some of the other elite programs. I would actually say her stock has dropped from where it was in 2009-2012.
  • Now, is the above due to her own abilities, lack of support from the school, lackluster recruiting success/player development? Some of those things would make her more likely to leave than others. It's very possible that she has hit her ceiling at ISU.
  • Didn't realize IL was coach-hunting. That one is scary because IL doesn't have the same expectations as a fan base that Nebby does but still has a strong record and can attract top players. And IL is a hell of a good place to recruit in.
  • IL has more than its share of funding difficulties right now so I'd be uncertain that they could throw the money at her that they'd need.........and the long-term availability of that money. Plus I wouldn't want to live in Champaign, but that's me.
  • If I were IL or another coachless program, I'd be eyeing up Kansas for a poach.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: wxman1 and StClone

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Yes, she leaves and we hire someone that destroys the program. Happy now OP?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
  • CJL is not Hoiberg. Let's get that out of the way.
  • To be frank, CJL has not yet had the type of success that would make her highly desirable to Nebby or some of the other elite programs. I would actually say her stock has dropped from where it was in 2009-2012.
  • Now, is the above due to her own abilities, lack of support from the school, lackluster recruiting success/player development? Some of those things would make her more likely to leave than others. It's very possible that she has hit her ceiling at ISU.
  • Didn't realize IL was coach-hunting. That one is scary because IL doesn't have the same expectations as a fan base that Nebby does but still has a strong record and can attract top players. And IL is a hell of a good place to recruit in.
  • IL has more than its share of funding difficulties right now so I'd be uncertain that they could throw the money at her that they'd need.........and the long-term availability of that money. Plus I wouldn't want to live in Champaign, but that's me.
  • If I were IL or another coachless program, I'd be eyeing up Kansas for a poach.
This seems likely due to the recent rise of that program. I was hoping CJL would take ISU a little higher before she moved on, which I always thought was in the cards at some point.

To me it seems odd that Illinois struggles in as many sports as they do. What is inherently wrong with that AD that they have such difficulty building winners with the advantages that seem obvious to everyone? They should be a better version of Iowa in all sports IMO, but it doesn't seem to happen that way.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
This seems likely due to the recent rise of that program. I was hoping CJL would take ISU a little higher before she moved on, which I always thought was in the cards at some point.

To me it seems odd that Illinois struggles in as many sports as they do. What is inherently wrong with that AD that they have such difficulty building winners with the advantages that seem obvious to everyone? They should be a better version of Iowa in all sports IMO, but it doesn't seem to happen that way.

Living in Illinois for the past 14 years, all I can say is they have had horrible leadership down there for most of that time. Also, while being in Illinois should be an advantage, they are also competing in a very competitive market, don't get me wrong IL alums love their school, but support outside of alums isn't really there. In football ND is the team that gets the most outsiders in the area. It doesn't help that UI is never consistent. Also they fancy themselves to be above everyone at the school, I have had more than one parent tell me when they went there for a visit with their kid the vibe was you are lucky to be on our campus, not we are lucky to have you visiting us. They don't really open themselves up to outside support. Which is to bad because they should own this state, but don't. And the athletic department suffers because of it. Just my observations of being here for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Living in Illinois for the past 14 years, all I can say is they have had horrible leadership down there for most of that time. Also, while being in Illinois should be an advantage, they are also competing in a very competitive market, don't get me wrong IL alums love their school, but support outside of alums isn't really there. In football ND is the team that gets the most outsiders in the area. It doesn't help that UI is never consistent. Also they fancy themselves to be above everyone at the school, I have had more than one parent tell me when they went there for a visit with their kid the vibe was you are lucky to be on our campus, not we are lucky to have you visiting us. They don't really open themselves up to outside support. Which is to bad because they should own this state, but don't. And the athletic department suffers because of it. Just my observations of being here for a while.
That last part makes sense with the word from most Hawk fans I know. Their success getting kids from Illinois seems largely due to the fact that they actually want them in IC, unlike their home state schools who seem like the couldn't care less about it.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I hope this years freshman class helps put ISU on an upward trajectory.

Avery Rhodes: MB, Waco, Texas
Rhodes, No. 91 in the PrepVolleyball Class of 2017 rankings

Piper Mauck: S, Des Moines, Iowa
Mauck, who will enroll at Iowa State at the start of the Spring 2017 semester, ranks No. 24 in the PrepVolleyball Class of 2017 rankings is tied for the third-highest ranked recruit in program history.

Meegan Hart: MB, St. Charles, Illinois
Hart, the No. 85 recruit in the Class of 2017 per PrepVolleyball, is a four-year letterwinner at Rosary High School in Aurora, Illinois

Izzy Enna: DS/L, Kansas City, Missouri
Unranked but Club team KC power is pre season 4th Nationally for 2017-

4. “A O” KC Power (Kansas)
The Facts: Nine return for KC Power 18, which finished T-5 in 17 Open a year ago. Setter Madison Lilley is probably the best senior setter in the 18s division. She will dish to tall middles Callie Schwarzenbach and Naomi Hickman and a diverse and capable group of pin hitters that includes Megan Cooney, Megan Kuper, Genna Berg and Lauren Stubbs. Izzy Enna takes charge of the back row along with high intensity newcomer Emily Day. This is a group, coached by Michael Dauernheim, that should, with good health, contend for a national title.

OF COURSE....

AUSTIN, Texas – No. 7 Texas Volleyball has signed what many agree is the nation's top recruiting class, featuring the nation's No. 1 recruit (PrepVolleyball), Lexi Sun, No. 2 Brionne Butler, No. 6 Ashley Shook and Olivia Zelon.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I hope this years freshman class helps put ISU on an upward trajectory

Avery Rhodes: MB, Waco, Texas Rhodes, No. 91 in the PrepVolleyball Class of 2017 rankings
Piper Mauck: S, Des Moines, Iowa No. 24
Meegan Hart: MB, St. Charles, Illinois No. 85
Izzy Enna: DS/L, Kansas City, Missouri Unranked

Coach Christy seems to have had some good classes recently but there sure were an increase of transfers (typical nowadays?). For 2019 we get one of the top 25 players (from what I have read) MB 6'2 Kenzie Mantz from Belle Plaine. If you have access to prepvolleyball.com.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa

Coach Christy seems to have had some good classes recently but there sure were an increase of transfers (typical nowadays?). For 2019 we get one of the top 25 players (from what I have read) MB 6'2 Kenzie Mantz from Belle Plaine. If you have access to prepvolleyball.com.[/QUOTE]
Mantz is very good she plays at the same club as my daughter. We get tp watch her quite a bit but I didn't know her ranking.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
As Cowgirl mentioned, I'd imagine we'd have more of these CJL rumors if we'd had more success the last four years.
Illinois is a great job - volleyball arena of its own seating 4500, great recruiting base, in a tremendous VB conference with tons of matches on the Big Ten Network...
JP and CJL have a close relationship, and JP treats her like he treats his track coaches - she gets almost anything she wants. Doubt that unless it's Neb or Wisconsin calling, she would risk working for a new boss that wasn't like JP.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wish she would ask for a volleyball-only facility.

That's the only thing missing that I wish we could do. Minnesota remodeled their old hockey arena Mariucci Arena (part of the ancient Williams Arena Bldg) into the Sports Pavilion where their team plays. They also have gymnastics and other sports there including some wrestling meets. It's not as fancy as what Nebraska did but something like the Huskers remodel would be out of reach financially I am guessing. When I am there it always make me wonder if our Old Armory could be retrofitted like the Pavilion.

facilities-pavilion-980.jpg

This whole thread makes we wonder what might have been if we had won that fifth set here in Mlps that one year and advanced to the Final Four.

• Agree
Reactions: cowgirl836

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
That's the only thing missing that I wish we could do. Minnesota remodeled their old hockey arena Mariucci Arena (part of the ancient Williams Arena Bldg) into the Sports Pavilion where their team plays. They also have gymnastics and other sports there including some wrestling meets. It's not as fancy as what Nebraska did but something like the Huskers remodel would be out of reach financially I am guessing. When I am there it always make me wonder if our Old Armory could be retrofitted like the Pavilion.

This whole thread makes we wonder what might have been if we had won that fifth set here in Mlps that one year and advanced to the Final Four.
When I win Powerball, my donation will finance this project.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Yeah, I like Minnesota's. Also Wisconsin's remodeled field house. Texas, K-State and Mizzou too. CJL always talks about these "great facilities" when her team plays there. Just wonder how big a deal it is to her. Maybe she thinks Hilton is just great.
I hear on this site that the old Armory would not be possible - the athletic department could not in any way get possession of it. It would also take millions of $$$ to renovate - but wow, think of the fans pounding their feet on those metal bleachers...

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, I like Minnesota's. Also Wisconsin's remodeled field house. Texas, K-State and Mizzou too. CJL always talks about these "great facilities" when her team plays there. Just wonder how big a deal it is to her. Maybe she thinks Hilton is just great.
I hear on this site that the old Armory would not be possible - the athletic department could not in any way get possession of it. It would also take millions of $$$ to renovate - but wow, think of the fans pounding their feet on those metal bleachers...
I think there are too many students and ROTC folk occupied at the armory that would need a new home. Building a stand-alone facility would seem to be easier.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think there are too many students and ROTC folk occupied at the armory that would need a new home. Building a stand-alone facility would seem to be easier.
I assume that a smaller gym for wrestling, VB, and gymnastics is on some sort of AD "wish list," I just don't know how feasible it is. Most schools have retrofitted/renovated/remodeled their old basketball field house for these sports - which apparently we can't do.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I assume that a smaller gym for wrestling, VB, and gymnastics is on some sort of AD "wish list," I just don't know how feasible it is. Most schools have retrofitted/renovated/remodeled their old basketball field house for these sports - which apparently we can't do.

Where are these teams practicing now?

Is the location of the Armory a good spot for an athletics venue now, given how campus development has gone? From an athletics standpoint, it is kind by itself on the NW side of campus.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
There is ZERO, I mean ZERO parking near the Armory for anyone but faculty.

Besides, the Armory has been the domain of the Design college since 1990 (25 years). I know, I was in the very 1st architecture class of students that got to use it when it was all new and built. :)

The Big 10 schools and Texas, have the money to do these things.

I think a new facility near the towers area or the Suckup would be the best option.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron