Landscaping help

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Any ideas of what I should put in this type of location? It's on the east side of the house and I'd like something that blocks the A/C unit along with the window wells.

IMG_1469.jpg

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'm looking for a little color since everything around the corner is green. Someone mentioned Spirea Neon flash

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
How about a 6' tall stone Cy? :biggrin:

Hostas or something of the like would look good and grow well. Even my mom can keep those alive :wideeyed: Then the damn deer got to 'em....

Hilz4cy

Jan 22, 2008
West Des Moines
I would go alternating Dwarf burning bushes and varigated dogwoods, put the Burning bushes next to the air-conditioner as they like the stress and will turn the deep red they are known for much earlier. Looks like you have a wide enough space there you could get away with this. IF you go with something like a Spirea or Burberry (has little thorns on it, very pretty deep purple though) it may take a few years to ge the benefit. You could probably put some 2 foot or so Dogwoods and Burning bushes and pass up those few years of waiting for a new bush to mature to reap the benefits. Just a few Ideas.

zumbro clones

Jan 31, 2007
Southern Minnesota
I would go alternating Dwarf burning bushes and varigated dogwoods, put the Burning bushes next to the air-conditioner as they like the stress and will turn the deep red they are known for much earlier. Looks like you have a wide enough space there you could get away with this. IF you go with something like a Spirea or Burberry (has little thorns on it, very pretty deep purple though) it may take a few years to ge the benefit. You could probably put some 2 foot or so Dogwoods and Burning bushes and pass up those few years of waiting for a new bush to mature to reap the benefits. Just a few Ideas.

We have Barberry bushes too. They look great but the thorns can be a pain.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
If you have young kids or plan on doing so I would skip the thorny varieties. There are lots of other options. I would also extend that downspout past the edge of the landscape area or at least to it.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you have young kids or plan on doing so I would skip the thorny varieties. There are lots of other options. I would also extend that downspout past the edge of the landscape area or at least to it.

I don't have children and would like to keep them out of my yard so maybe this is a good idea.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I may have to try a burning bush to the side of the A/C.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. They're good plants and - they turn a nice red in the fall. We have one on either side of our A/C unit and I may plant more in the future in some other spots.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
Earl May has a Boxwood that grows vertically instead of the typical ball.

Green Tower Boxwood

You might also consider an ornamental grass. They have some with some color in them.

I'd also extend the downspout a few more feet away from your house.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I have these boxwoods on the side of the garage. They have gotten a bit bigger since this pic.

IMG_1151.jpg

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
If you want to add some color (and ISU color to boot), check out the Gaillardias. We have some and love 'em. You could easily do some burning bushes and Gaillardias in that space.

GAILLARDIA-Arizona-Sun_LARG.gif

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you want to add some color (and ISU color to boot), check out the Gaillardias. We have some and love 'em. You could easily do some burning bushes and Gaillardias in that space.

GAILLARDIA-Arizona-Sun_LARG.gif

Those look great. Are the perennials?