Bourbon

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the beer thread or off topic, so just went with beer.

Bourbon is my drink of choice. I usually just drink ten high for cheap bourbon; when I want better bourbon I buy Jack or Makers but I want to try other ones. What are some other ones I should try that is in the Jack and Makers price range?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I wasn't sure if I should put this in the beer thread or off topic, so just went with beer.

Bourbon is my drink of choice. I usually just drink ten high for cheap bourbon; when I want better bourbon I buy Jack or Makers but I want to try other ones. What are some other ones I should try that is in the Jack and Makers price range?

CedarRidgeIowaBourbonWhiskey900_1024x1024.jpg

I'll put this up against most any other bourbons out there in the $30-$50 range. It's an eastern Iowa product (Swisher), and is really, really good.

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Lost Prophet - I am saving mine for retirement - soon

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Cedar Ridge is good stuff. If you want some high proof and really smooth bourbon Bookers is as much as 130 proof depending on the batch. It's not cheap stuff, probably cost you $50-60 a bottle but if you are a bourbon fan it is one you should have.

Booker%E2%80%99s-Bourbon1.jpg

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
For a good bourbon, reasonably priced, I go with Buffalo Trace. Run you in the $20 - $25 range, depending where you get it and any specials, but a really good sipper neat or on the rocks.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I have not. Is it available around central IA?

Honestly not sure. I've had it when I was in Chicago and Lexington. I know I haven't seen it at my HyVee, but I'd think a well stocked liquor store would carry it. Good stuff. Very smooth. The finish is a little light imo, not as full bodied as Cedar Ridge but really good.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Picked up a bottle of Johnny drum last time I was in Kentucky. I didn't do any research but I was very happy with my choice. Great price, great taste. Not sure if it's sold in Iowa though.

cycoticfan

Dec 14, 2008
Johnston IA
where do I begin? I have about 60 different bourbons. Four roses, old granddad, Elijah craig, rebel yell, rowans creek, noah's mill. And then there are barrel proofs, bonded, bourbon finished in wine, sherry, and port barrels. My advice is to taste different offerings at the bars that offer variety, decide if you like wheated or high rye bourbons, explore and then decide what you like. Check the larger Hy Vee store, independent liquor stores (central city in DSM). In fact ask Tom at Central City for a taste. They have several different bottles to taste, both scotch and bourbon. There are also some good whiskey/bourbon groups on Facebook with very knowledgeable and opinionated members that can help

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
It really just depends on your personal preference. As you can see, there are a ton of different preferences just on the suggestions so far. Start buying random bottles and figure out what you like.

For cheap bourbon I go with Evan Williams. I prefer it to Beam, Jack, etc.

For a little bit more I enjoy Evan Williams Single Barrel, Woodford, Bulleit and Tin Cup.

CloneFan03

Mar 18, 2008
Cedar Falls, IA
Russel's Reserve is my go to fo a $30 bottle.

I also like Beam Devil's Cut, Bulleit, WL Weller Special Reserve (hard to find in Iowa) and Woodford Reserve for the same price range

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Can't go wrong with Wild Turkey. Recently tried Tin Cup, which was great. Both make a really good old fashioned.

Help Support Us

Become a patron