Quit bagging on us for not going to games

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
First off let me start by saying people don't have to go to all the games. I have 2 children who have dance class, and Wrestling 3 nights a week. I am sick of people dogging the crowds at football and basketball games.

I went to every game in football except the last game. I go to all of the big basketball games and watch the rest on TV. It's too hard to get everyone togeather to go to the Drake game. I will go to KU, OU, IA, and some of the other big ones.

I am sick of people saying we suck as fans because of the attendance. Congrats if you are 25 years old and can go to every game. I and many others have to work and have other responsiblities that we have to attend to on occasion. Especially with Christmas comming up and spending money on gifts for my kids. (Even though the fat man Santa get's credit for all the stuff I buy for the kids)

soccercy

Apr 20, 2006
You are one person, and nobody expects every seat in the arena to be perpetually filled, what doesn't work is when the student section doesn't even fill the parquet level. Of course there will be ticket holders every game who have a reason they can't make it. But there were hundreds of empty seats in the parquet level of the student section that were not used for an in-state rival.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
wait so your telling methat you buy all of santa's gifts for him and that the elfs dont make them???i feel like i have been cheated all these years

JokersWild

Mar 29, 2006
wait so your telling methat you buy all of santa's gifts for him and that the elfs dont make them???i feel like i have been cheated all these years

Whoa whoa whoa.. I agree... let's not bring Santa into this... He and his elves have been nothin' but good. (Except that one time. but that's another story)

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Clones11,

Don't read this thread. I did not know you were un aware of who really buys the gifts. Sorry I blew the whole Santa thing for you.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
First off let me start by saying people don't have to go to all the games.
If you have season tickets, sell the tickets to games you can't make. Or give them to someone who can't afford them. What's a better way to get more people to enjoy and support the team?

amyk33

Mar 29, 2006
If you have season tickets, sell the tickets to games you can't make. Or give them to someone who can't afford them. What's a better way to get more people to enjoy and support the team?
You don't even have to sell them...give them away. Give someone the opportunity to go to the game that normally wouldn't. Generate interest in those fans...and get them to want to go to games themselves. That is what I did for the football season ticket I couldn't use--I had a wedding the night of the UNI football game so I gave my ticket away. I just want my seat filled!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You don't even have to sell them...give them away. Give someone the opportunity to go to the game that normally wouldn't. Generate interest in those fans...and get them to want to go to games themselves. That is what I did for the football season ticket I couldn't use--I had a wedding the night of the UNI football game so I gave my ticket away. I just want my seat filled!

Exactly.

Knownothing, you're going off half-cocked here. As an entire fan base, we traditionally don't show up at the games very well.

For the most part, this has been for football. The last few years, it's carried over to basketball too. Our attendance doesn't suck, yet it could be much better too.

I expected more from Cyclone fans for the Drake game Sunday. I can say that and so can other fans. People at the game know our fan support was lack-luster.

Jerry1982

Sep 3, 2006
NE Iowa
Exactly.

Knownothing, you're going off half-cocked here. As an entire fan base, we traditionally don't show up at the games very well.

I don't think that Knownothing is half-cocked. Probably need somebody to wilkepedia that one. He is gonna go to more games than I'll make this year. I think he is a good fan. And yes, I suspect many of us can understand the busy schedule routine. My two kids are in college now (cha-ching ISU) and I'm enjoying a more selective social life than prep sports 6 days a week. Made all the football games except the same one Amy missed (wedding anniversary party) but I just can't make very many BB games, mens or womens. Never have. Believe me, if I was within 30 minutes I'd make all of them.
Flame me for that if you want, but I won't take it personal, which is the best advice I can give Knownothing. Read all the generalities on this board you want but don't make it a personal issue.
The more we win, the better the attendance. This board reaches the choir. It's everybody else who will really make a difference in attendance.

Last edited:

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale

Exactly, you would really be playing Santa if you did that!

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
I don't think that the people on this board are bagging on people who don't have the time or money to attend a bunch of games. It's the people that shell out for season tickets in the first place and then let their seats sit empty while they watch the game at home. I have season tickets with my in-laws this year and they couldn't attend this weekend so gave them to their son. I raked him over the coals for saying he'd take them and not showing up because he was "too tired". At least if you have tickets you should try to find somebody to use them. Nobody (at least not anybody of sound mind) is bashing you for not buying season tickets if you don't have the time or money to go to the games.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I understand what you're saying, knownothing - my husband and I both travel for work, and were unable to make quite a few of the games that we had in our mini-pack last year. There are times when you just can't make it. We tried to give those tickets away, if at all possible. This year, I've been able to make every game - it's all relative.

I think what is the most bothersome is when you see a ton of empty seats down in the big-donor section. They don't give the tickets away, and those prime seats just sit empty. I know as a fan it's a little bit of a downer to look down there, but I can't imagine how the team must feel looking and seeing that the people who are supposed to be the biggest supporters don't bother to go to the games. I think that is one of the main concerns that has been brought up.

tycobb

Apr 20, 2006
i blame the yuppie marketers who worship n market

to the golden circle soccer moms n trophy wifes who i see always leaving or nagging to leave the fb n bb games they show up for. i can imagine how many of them never show up in first place, thats what u get when u only want money and not loyality.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
I expected more from Cyclone fans for the Drake game Sunday. I can say that and so can other fans. People at the game know our fan support was lack-luster.

I agree...I am over three hours away. I bought tickets online and had to take seats in the top row of the middle balcony. So I figured it'd be pretty full. I was amazed at how many empty seats there were all throughout the arena.

One of the people I went with said, "Maybe people are Christmas shopping." Good lord, if Cyclone fans are choosing Christmas shopping over going to a game, we have some issues.

Heck, next time I decide to make the drive over, I'll troll around on this site and pay somebody 10 cents on the dollar to use their season tickets!

j4state

May 21, 2006
Visit site
First off let me start by saying people don't have to go to all the games. I have 2 children who have dance class, and Wrestling 3 nights a week. I am sick of people dogging the crowds at football and basketball games.

I went to every game in football except the last game. I go to all of the big basketball games and watch the rest on TV. It's too hard to get everyone togeather to go to the Drake game. I will go to KU, OU, IA, and some of the other big ones.

I am sick of people saying we suck as fans because of the attendance. Congrats if you are 25 years old and can go to every game. I and many others have to work and have other responsiblities that we have to attend to on occasion. Especially with Christmas comming up and spending money on gifts for my kids. (Even though the fat man Santa get's credit for all the stuff I buy for the kids)

It's called prioritizing. If you wanted to make it work, you would.
Everyone else does it.

I attended a few games this year (namely the Toledo tailgate/football game and the UNI bball game) that probably weren't in my best interests to go but did it anyway. Buck up soldier.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
It's called prioritizing. If you wanted to make it work, you would.
Everyone else does it.

I attended a few games this year (namely the Toledo tailgate/football game and the UNI bball game) that probably weren't in my best interests to go but did it anyway. Buck up soldier.

Ha ha...man, you are going to get destroyed after he sees that. That being said, when I was still in Ames, I'd have lived in a cardboard box behind Tip-Top Lounge before I'd give up going to ISU games.