Bandit Burrito in Johnston...

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Has anyone else been here? The place is amazing. It's owned/managed by a guy who used to run Flying Burrito, and basically he took the Flying Burrito model, put it in a nicer restaurant, add even more options (8 different tortillas, 6 kinds of meat i think, a lot of salsas, etc). It's a ton of food for under $6, and its right at the intersection of Merle Hay and Johnston Dr., right off 30/80. Anyone in DSM who misses Flying Burrito, and can't stand having to go to Panchero's/Chipotle/Qdoba knowing they are paying more for a product that is undoubtedly inferior to Flying should really check this place it out.

Reactions: ianoconnor

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I've never understood the infatuation with Flying Burrito and the subsequent pounding Pancheros, Chipotle, etc take around here. It's possible some of us pay more for Pancheros because we like it more.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've never understood the infatuation with Flying Burrito and the subsequent pounding Pancheros, Chipotle, etc take around here. It's possible some of us pay more for Pancheros because we like it more.

Never quite understood it either. I've have both Qboda and Pancheros here in Davenport. If I had to choose between the two I'd choose Pancheros everytime.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Panchero's equals big time Hawkeye fans.

You nailed it. I make my food purchase choices because of my sports affiliations and I'm a closet hawkeye fan.

I've had Flying Burrito before and both my wife and I honestly didn't like it.

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
You nailed it. I make my food purchase choices because of my sports affiliations and I'm a closet hawkeye fan.

I've had Flying Burrito before and both my wife and I honestly didn't like it.
I wasn't saying you specifically, just the reason why people don't like the company.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Panchero's equals big time Hawkeye fans.

And this is where I say GET A LIFE...

If I had a life-threatening medical condition and had to be rushed to a hospital, am I going to be turning down UI Hospital because the place is populated with UI grads and student interns? Me thinks not.

Reactions: BigSkyCy2

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
And this is where I say GET A LIFE...

If I had a life-threatening medical condition and had to be rushed to a hospital, am I going to be turning down UI Hospital because the place is populated with UI grads and student interns? Me thinks not.
Again, answering a question as to the reason people try to avoid it. Good comparison on burritos and life threatening injuries though.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Kum and Go is a huge Hawk supporter. I have a card with them that gets me $.05 off every gallon, so I try to get my gas there. Guess I must be a closet hawk as well.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Again, answering a question as to the reason people try to avoid it. Good comparison on burritos and life threatening injuries though.

I don't see where there ISN'T a comparison. You implied all businesses that are run by Hawkeye fans/grads should be avoided at all costs. Going by your implication that means that UI doctors are just as bad, if not worse, than the owners of Pancheros simply because they went to UI. Further, I guess you won't be getting any medical treatment in the state whatsoever, then, because I'm pretty sure most of them got their doctorates at UI...

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames

Take if from someone that has lived in San Diego for 5 years... You have no idea what you're talking about. Flying burrito is certainly the closest thing I've found in Iowa that even comes close to a "burrito".

Last edited:

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I liked the bandit in Johnston. Very good food for a great price. The garlic corn salsa was great.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
They started in Iowa City, correct. But the wife of the founder was my T.A. for JLMC 101 at Iowa State. Besides, it's better. :yes:

TA for JLMC 101? How could one possibly need a TA for JLMC 101? It's a friggin' history/theory/intro course. Have things really regressed that far? Back when I took it 7 years ago it was taught by Mack - and that's it.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
TA for JLMC 101? Have things really regressed that far? Back when I took it 7 years ago it was taught by Mack - and that's it.

Regressed? I assume if there is a TA for a 101 class it means that interest in Justice League or whatever JLMC may be has grown substantially and there are enough sections now that Barbara or other professors cannot handle all of 'em. I'd take that as a good sign.

Disclaimer: I know that JLMC is not Justice League Mutation Credentials, I assume its Journalism/Mass Communication :wink:

cc4td28

Apr 16, 2006
Warren, OH
I went there last week. I really liked it. Those minced jalapenos are awesome, and I liked the tortilla choices. The chicken was a little plain, needed some more spice. I'm really hooked on Chipotle right now, and since it is much closer to me it'll get most of my business.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I went there last week. I really liked it. Those minced jalapenos are awesome, and I liked the tortilla choices. The chicken was a little plain, needed some more spice. I'm really hooked on Chipotle right now, and since it is much closer to me it'll get most of my business.

Hope you don't come down with a case of e coli... :eek:

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
They had a great selection of side stuff you can put on there but I was very unimpressed with the meat and it made my wife feel like crap the rest of the night.