Stillwater

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Anyone ever make the trip before? I am currently in Oklahoma City for work and will be making the drive up for the game tonight. Sitting in Section 214 behind the OSU bench.

Anything I should do while up in Stillwater? Everyone keeps saying Eskimo Joe's but that's about it.

Thanks and Go Cyclones!

Reactions: Cyclonepride

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
For pre-game, the two easiest options are Eskimo Joe's and the Garage. They are almost across the street from each other. The food is better at the Garage, as the beer selection. That said, I've spent many many hours at Joe's before games over the years. It does have a good vibe. My small group is meeting at the Garage this time.

If you want to stay near GIA, those two are easiest. There is another bar across the street from Joe's called Stables (smoking). A bit further south, there's another called Stonewall (smoking).

Hideaway Pizza is my favorite restaurant in that area - it's about 5 blocks south of GIA. It's good, but will probably nutso before the game.

If you want to have a couple of beers a short drive away, try Iron Monk brewery. They've done a surprisingly nice job on it.

Safe travels.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
For pre-game, the two easiest options are Eskimo Joe's and the Garage. They are almost across the street from each other. The food is better at the Garage, as the beer selection. That said, I've spent many many hours at Joe's before games over the years. It does have a good vibe. My small group is meeting at the Garage this time.

If you want to stay near GIA, those two are easiest. There is another bar across the street from Joe's called Stables (smoking). A bit further south, there's another called Stonewall (smoking).

Hideaway Pizza is my favorite restaurant in that area - it's about 5 blocks south of GIA. It's good, but will probably nutso before the game.

If you want to have a couple of beers a short drive away, try Iron Monk brewery. They've done a surprisingly nice job on it.

Safe travels.

Is it the same Garage that they have down in OKC? I went to the one in Midtown/Automobile Alley for the World Series and it was pretty good food.

Love Hideaway Pizza, been to the one in Bartlesville and two of them in OKC. I have so many of those cups.

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Is it the same Garage that they have down in OKC? I went to the one in Midtown/Automobile Alley for the World Series and it was pretty good food.

Love Hideaway Pizza, been to the one in Bartlesville and two of them in OKC. I have so many of those cups.

Yeah, the Garage is the same as those in OKC. I feel a little bad suggesting a chain, but at least it's an Oklahoma chain.

The Stillwater Hideaway is a different beast than the rest of them. The gist was the original owner didn't want to expand, but some employees did. He basically said "have at it" and they took it and ran. They share many menu items, but the pizza is different. I do like the other Hideaways ok, but the original will always be my favorite.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Complete thread derail but have they repaired the road between town and the airport. That was brutal three years ago.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Eskimo Joe's is like their bar version of Hickory Park, you just have to go while in town. Louie's is a also a great place to stop in and eat and have a drink. Iron Monk has some good beers but OK has weird laws so I can't remember if you can actually drink it at the brewery.

If you're ever looking for a random time killer the 19th Hole is worth the stop.

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
I have been last few years. Biggest thing is enjoy that arena..oldest court in the country, seats are super steep so you feel like you are right in top of the court...visit the memorial from the plane crash that killed many players and coaching staff years ago....

Have fun, I couldn't make it this year and am bummed as it may be my favorite B12 non Hilton arena to visit outside Phog....

• Friendly
Reactions: isu2014

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
1. Hold up this poster
maxresdefault.jpg

2. Then hold up this poster
hqdefault.jpg

3. Don't die

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Complete thread derail but have they repaired the road between town and the airport. That was brutal three years ago.

I-35 was torn up between OKC and STW for quite awhile, but it's all clear now.

Eskimo Joe's is like their bar version of Hickory Park, you just have to go while in town. Louie's is a also a great place to stop in and eat and have a drink. Iron Monk has some good beers but OK has weird laws so I can't remember if you can actually drink it at the brewery.

That law was finally changed in the past year...about damn time. You can, GASP, buy growlers/cans/bottles at breweries now.

• Friendly
Reactions: isu2014

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
Took a bus trip down from KC last year it was a lot of fun. Went to Eskimo Joe's and the Garage both were good spots. There was no one there last year in the arena the ISU group was louder the entire game. I would definitely go back in the future.

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Haven't been there, but I've been advised to go early, and walk around the arena. Lots to see there!

andyokstate

Mar 5, 2013
Did you guys have a good time at the game? We went to the Garage for a burger and a few beers. It was busy, but not packed. Joe's looked to be about the same. I wasn't expecting a sellout, but I was expecting a bigger crowd than there was.

ISU played a really good game. Even when OSU was up, it never felt like we were on a level playing field with you. The spreading of the wealth by you guys was impressive - every starter in double figures. The start of the game was brutal between your steals, layups, and our outright turnovers. At the first few minutes, I thought we were going to lose by 20. Happy that we fought back and made a game of it, but we have to figure a way of closing out these games.

And now on to KU. Yay. Not entirely sure when we're going to see our first Big 12 win. @KU, KSU, @TTU, TCU. Hopefully we win the two home games, but the way things going, nothing is a given.

See you around next game. At least we don't have to go to ISU on senior night again like last year - uh, wait, what, dangit...

Good luck...and for the love of all things holy, beat KU on Monday.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Did you guys have a good time at the game? We went to the Garage for a burger and a few beers. It was busy, but not packed. Joe's looked to be about the same. I wasn't expecting a sellout, but I was expecting a bigger crowd than there was.

ISU played a really good game. Even when OSU was up, it never felt like we were on a level playing field with you. The spreading of the wealth by you guys was impressive - every starter in double figures. The start of the game was brutal between your steals, layups, and our outright turnovers. At the first few minutes, I thought we were going to lose by 20. Happy that we fought back and made a game of it, but we have to figure a way of closing out these games.

And now on to KU. Yay. Not entirely sure when we're going to see our first Big 12 win. @KU, KSU, @TTU, TCU. Hopefully we win the two home games, but the way things going, nothing is a given.

See you around next game. At least we don't have to go to ISU on senior night again like last year - uh, wait, what, dangit...

This year could be even more emotional. As much as is was last year with George, Abdel and Jameel...Monte, Naz, Matt, Deonte, plus Holden, Bowie and Stu might carry more punch.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

Despite our recent success, I still consider leaving GIA with a W a big accomplishment. We suffered defeat there for so long. I think Underwood will get things turned around once he starts getting his guys in there. The Big 12 is just a meat grinder this year.

You guys are going to win some that you shouldn't and lose some that you shouldn't, just like us. You gave Maryland and Texas everything they could handle in their house. The Big 12 schedule was really unkind to you to start. You do have a nice three game stretch in February against Texas, TCU and OU, though.