RECRUITING: Info on visitors for this weekend

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
The dead period is set to come to an end tonight at midnight and the Iowa State coaching staff will be hard at work on the trail once again. That work will continue this weekend when they have a handful of guys in for official visits. Here's the names I've been able to gather so far:

*** Kenny Robinson - The West Virginia commit is listed as a linebacker on 247, but it sounds like he could be a linebacker or play somewhere in the secondary. The 6-foot-2, 200 pound three-star is rated as the No. 56 athlete in the class by 247Composite.

OJ Tucker - Tucker is the No. 85 cornerback in the class by 247Composite and also holds offers from Nebraska, Maryland, UCF, Kentucky, North Carolina and a handful of other schools. The 6-foot-1, 190-pound three-star is from Ocala, Fla.

*** Zamari Maxwell - Maxwell is a 6-foot-1, 175-pound cornerback from Largo, Fla. The three-star is rated as the No. 98 CB in the class by 247Composite. He also holds offers from Iowa, Kentucky, UCF, Illinois and more than 20 others.

*** Shawn Shamburger - Currently a commit to Tennessee, Shamburger is a three-star and the No. 103 cornerback in the class by 247Composite. The 5-foot-11, 188-pound Georgia-native's offer list also includes Ole Miss, Auburn, Purdue and a handful of others.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
Nice list Jared!

A couple things stand out to me here:

1. We are desperate for some DB's. With Wiltz, Tribune, Jones all graduating there is the opportunity for some freshmen to come in and play right away.
2. Size. Shawnburger is the smallest DB on this list at 5'11. During the Rhoads era, I think Cliff Stokes was the only true corner back recruit that was taller than 5'11. We had plenty of 5'11 guys, and I think that is plenty tall for a CB, I just find it interesting. This staff obviously values length at that position.
3. Offers. We are battling some big boys late in the game and I love it.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Jared- any idea on Vance's eligibility? Or is that just a sign him and wait thing?

This is a pretty good list this late in the game. Hope we can get a couple of them- I think we're in good shape with Maxwell. I read a quote from him that he and Iowa parted ways. Not sure why, but they've been listed as his favorites for a while. Decent offer lists for all of these guys.

• Informative
Reactions: cyfan21

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Jared- any idea on Vance's eligibility? Or is that just a sign him and wait thing?

This is a pretty good list this late in the game. Hope we can get a couple of them- I think we're in good shape with Maxwell. I read a quote from him that he and Iowa parted ways. Not sure why, but they've been listed as his favorites for a while. Decent offer lists for all of these guys.

From what I've been told, Iowa State is confident Vance will be okay to get here on time. I'll do some more checking but that's the last thing I heard.

Reactions: isutrevman

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

Iowa already filled up on DB's.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

From an article on Hawkeyenation it sounds like when Phil Parker visited Zamari Maxwell, Maxwell flat out told him he wasn't sure that he could move away from Florida. I think that pretty much ended Iowa's recruitment of him after that.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
From an article on Hawkeyenation it sounds like when Phil Parker visited Zamari Maxwell, Maxwell flat out told him he wasn't sure that he could move away from Florida. I think that pretty much ended Iowa's recruitment of him after that.
Weird that he'd consider ISU then. Does he know where Ames is?

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Aside from Robinson possibly being a LB, any other LB'S the staff is still pursuing? I thought I read Shanon Reid and Andrew Ward would still take visits after their commitments, maybe I'm wrong or their plans changed.

Pretty solid group of corners they are after, I would think we get one. The cherry on top for me would be getting another 1-2 OL commits. We have to improve that area for future and long-term success.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Aside from Robinson possibly being a LB, any other LB'S the staff is still pursuing? I thought I read Shanon Reid and Andrew Ward would still take visits after their commitments, maybe I'm wrong or their plans changed.

Pretty solid group of corners they are after, I would think we get one. The cherry on top for me would be getting another 1-2 OL commits. We have to improve that area for future and long-term success.
Reid visited already 11/18. Ward supposedly still taking his visit 1/27.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
Reid visited already 11/18. Ward supposedly still taking his visit 1/27.

Thanks. I would guess Reid is a longshot. But if we still have Ward visit I could see Campbell & Co getting a commit.

Isn't the staff still talking with a couple high school DT's too? The next few weekends will obviously be very telling who they bring in. Too bad we don't have any bball games.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Weird that he'd consider ISU then. Does he know where Ames is?

I read some things where it isn't really him that has a problem with him leaving but it is his mom that doesn't want him to leave and therefore he doesn't know if he can leave. I like his film though, seems like he would be a good get.

AdamJGray

Administrator
Mar 9, 2011
So is the goal to have 75 secondary players on scholarship?

We are pretty short at the moment on corners. Peavy is the only one with experience returning. In the Big 12, and how we play defense, you are going to see us recruiting a lot of DB's.

• Agree
Reactions: ripvdub

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We are pretty short at the moment on corners. Peavy is the only one with experience returning. In the Big 12, and how we play defense, you are going to see us recruiting a lot of DB's.

I'd add Payne to that, as we essentially playing like a slot CB manned up on the slot receiver much of last year. But your point is spot-on - we are light on CB experience right now, after graduating 3 SRs. I also don't know if there is much confidence in some of the young DBs that CPR recruited - sounded like Azunna was next in line last season as a true freshman. There is a reason we were after JC CB December grads; we struck out, but sounds like were after grad transfers now.

I think Bowens is a safety. Need at least 1 more HS CB in the class to go with Young.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Nice list Jared!

1. We are desperate for some DB's. With Wiltz, Tribune, Jones all graduating there is the opportunity for some freshmen to come in and play right away.
2. Size. Shawnburger is the smallest DB on this list at 5'11. During the Rhoads era, I think Cliff Stokes was the only true corner back recruit that was taller than 5'11. We had plenty of 5'11 guys, and I think that is plenty tall for a CB, I just find it interesting. This staff obviously values length at that position.

Tribune barely played last year and Jones wasn't a true DB at all..Wiltz is a loss no doubt but certainly replaceable..have Peavy and Payne returning both of which are good..All indications are that Azunna would have seen field last year. I'm not saying we dont need DB's cause yea we do but its not dire for 2017. Prob need 7 DBs that can play come game day and we have 4 now. Braxton Lewis is another. But i see what you are saying..it is likely we see a couple True Frosh at least hit the depth chart in 2017..

CyFy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2014
Huxley
After watching the film on the CBs I would actually flip their ranking orders. The size is nice with OJ and Zamari, but shawns quickness looks to be better. Some of it would depend if he is actually 5'11". Shawn and Onyemaobi are at the top of my DB want list. Add in keonte Jones and this would be a heck of a DB class

I agree we still really need at least 2 lineman.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
After watching the film on the CBs I would actually flip their ranking orders. The size is nice with OJ and Zamari, but shawns quickness looks to be better. Some of it would depend if he is actually 5'11". Shawn and Onyemaobi are at the top of my DB want list. Add in keonte Jones and this would be a heck of a DB class

I agree we still really need at least 2 lineman.

Totally agree. Shamburger is the best of those three. The other two are good...they have good height, but lack speed a little. Shamburger is shorter, but a better CB. If they can get him and Onyemaobi, CB recruiting was a major success this year. I love Datrone Young's film.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Nice list Jared!

Disagree with this, I think that we are super deep here, even with all the Senior experience leaving. I believe this is a target area that CMC has been up front in saying he is never going to turn away a quality DB commit.... Just his philosophy and not 'desperation'.....

Reactions: CyFy