In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
If I were a Hawk fan, I wouldn't be too happy about this. But I'm not, so I'm happy about it.

This means that absolutely nothing will change with their offense. Ultra conservative, boring, and predictable.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
If things on offense are going to change for Iowa they will be far more likely to under Brian. Greg Davis was a yes man hire. Kirk isn't going to fire his own son. Plus with Brian being 30 years younger than Davis it means he will likely be less conservative and more plugged into what players these days want. Finally, Brian no doubt has a goal of being a head coach so coming in and continuing the same offense isn't going to get him that job.

Under O'Keefe Iowa's total offense on average was around the mid 50's and under Davis it was around the low 90's on average. Just getting back to O'Keefe levels is good enough for me as I know there most likely won't be drastic changes made.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If I were a Hawk fan, I wouldn't be too happy about this. But I'm not, so I'm happy about it.

This means that absolutely nothing will change with their offense. Ultra conservative, boring, and predictable.

My favorite part of ISU's offense last year was when it was 'boring', i.e. just getting what it needed instead of trying to into a track meet.

And I'd say Iowa's teams that could run the ball were far from predictable which is what makes it trickier to defend against. I may be thinking more of before Davis as I haven't watched Iowa a whole lot the last 3-4 years.

JD4560

Nov 12, 2015
Huge get for the Hawks, big things are coming to Iowa City. Hearing rumblings that it might be an Air Raid type system. Think of an improved, more up-tempo Texas Tech.
Iowa would be an epic failure at that. They don't have anywhere close to the personal to do

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Putting the name aside, if we hired somebody with his experience from another P5 team, I think most people on this board would be livid.

Gotta believe the hok boards have to filled with a lot of WTF posts.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Wasn't that pretty much the case with your current offensive coordinator when he came with Campbell from Toledo? Honest question because off the top of my head I'm not sure.

Yeah, and most people weren't happy about it. The original hire I think most people were fine with.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not sure how much will change. They will still run a lot and win around 8 games.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

Review3.jpg

Reactions: cyhiphopp

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Word is Brian has a great football mind like his dad, but has a different vision for the offense ... and Kirk's on board with letting him tinker with it.

Iowa fans wanted fresh, young blood running the offense, and they got it.

Will be interesting to see what happens if things don't go well. Especially since most believe Brian will take over as HC when Kirk retires.