Greg Davis Retires

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Why haven't they announced that Brian Ferentz is the new OC yet?

I suppose they will interview a few guys before promoting Brian in order to make it look better.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If it was so easy, why didn't other teams do it then??

Did anyone else in the conference play such a lenient schedule?

I commended, and still do, Iowa for that 2015 season. They can't do much about the conference bringing in two schools that have no business being there while other schools (Purdue) aren't good at the same time.

Good stuff but it wasn't until the Rose Bowl until we found out what they weren't...the B1G championship game didn't show much since Alabama's playoff game vs. MSU was basically a live practice.

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

YeahBuddy

Jul 11, 2016

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
Did anyone else in the conference play such a lenient schedule?

I commended, and still do, Iowa for that 2015 season. They can't do much about the conference bringing in two schools that have no business being there while other schools (Purdue) aren't good at the same time.

Good stuff but it wasn't until the Rose Bowl until we found out what they weren't...the B1G championship game didn't show much since Alabama's playoff game vs. MSU was basically a live practice.
Look at Wisconsins schedule

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Most Iowa fans don't want to change the offensive system, they just want to get rid of Greg Davis's garbage horizontal passing attack. I don't know a single Iowa fan (although I'm sure there are some) who wants or expects to bring in some spread offense guru. Most just want to return to the system Iowa had under Ken O'Keefe, one that actually throws the ball downfield, utilizes the middle of the field, and uses play action to get the TE involved. Greg Davis's scheme did none of those things.

You mean the system they ran out of town?

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Someone say they are looking for a OC?

220px-MarkMangino.jpg

God he was a fat disgusting bastard

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

The same Wisconsin who opened their season with Alabama?

I know there's going to be some retort about Northwestern beating Stanford and how that somehow justifies Iowa....that was the definition of an anomaly.

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
The same Wisconsin who opened their season with Alabama?

I know there's going to be some retort about Northwestern beating Stanford and how that somehow justifies Iowa....that was the definition of an anomaly.
Did you just stop looking after the first game?? Iowa was the only other tough game they had.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If it was so easy, why didn't other teams do it then??

Did I say it was easy? I just said they didn't play a lot of tough teams last year, which is true.

There aren't a lot of P5 teams that had that kind of schedule last year.

I imagine it was actually difficult to show up every week, even against mediocre competition and I've given Iowa credit for doing that. They showed against Stanford that they weren't anything special though.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Which year?

Last year when Wisconsin started the season with the cream puff ALABAMA?

Or this year when they played LSU, Michigan State, Michigan, and tOSU?

Last year the Wisconsin QB FELL DOWN taking the snap at the goal line. He got stepped on, fell down, and fumbled the ball instead of handing it off for a potential touchdown. That's the kind of gift Wisconsin gave the Iowa Hawkeyes last year.

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
Funniest comment I saw, "Greg Davis retires, leaves behind a four page playbook"

CF_Cyclone

Mar 31, 2006
Cedar Falls, IA
Hawk fans would be wise to temper their expectations for a new offense. It will still be dictated by Kirk, and it will still mostly be stretch runs and play action. I do agree they could benefit from using the middle of the field more often. I'll miss GD.

Agree. They want to blame Davis for their offensive woes, and O'Keefe before that. One thing remains the same with both offenses, Captain Kirk. He wants to primarily run the ball, and control the game that way. The problem is with the offense he likes to run, it will continue to be difficult to attract top notch wide receivers to their program. If you are a WR would you want to go there where your top job is to block, or to one of the many programs running the spread offense. Kirk does a great job of coaching up the areas that can be coached, but you can't coach speed.