Greg Davis Retires

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
Basically what I said on our board. Having just a below-average offense would do wonders for Iowa as opposed to where they were with Greg.

Hope Greg enjoys a great retirement, he always seemed to be a really good guy, just never worked out.

Considering he was the coordinator for the only team in Iowa history to go 12-0 I think it worked better than you claim.

• Agree
Reactions: isugcs

AmesHawk

Apr 20, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Considering he was the coordinator for the only team in Iowa history to go 12-0 I think it worked better than you claim.
You're right, he was here for that historic/epic/monumental season last year, but the offense (which was still his best at Iowa I think) was below-average at best (75th in scoring). Had a pretty good defense that won most of those games (15th in scoring).

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Hawk fans would be wise to temper their expectations for a new offense. It will still be dictated by Kirk, and it will still mostly be stretch runs and play action. I do agree they could benefit from using the middle of the field more often. I'll miss GD.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Why do Iowa fans think Brian Ferentz will be a good pick at OC. Its not like he has a lot of experience outside of Iowa. Sure he spent some time in New England, but that is all for his experience. A lot of Iowa background with a little NFL experience in a system that when taken elsewhere hasn't really worked great.

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
Why do Iowa fans think Brian Ferentz will be a good pick at OC. Its not like he has a lot of experience outside of Iowa. Sure he spent some time in New England, but that is all for his experience. A lot of Iowa background with a little NFL experience in a system that when taken elsewhere hasn't really worked great.
His resume is better than Manning's was a year ago, yet fans were excited about him before the season, and after a slow start did a solid job as OC.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
His resume is better than Manning's was a year ago, yet fans were excited about him before the season, and after a slow start did a solid job as OC.

OK, but the difference is Manning ran CMC's system. Iowa fans want Iowa to get away from the KF system. Hiring a coach that has been in that system for all of his college career, and the coaches son, they may not be many changes to that system. That system was flat out bad this year and last it wasn't great even though Iowa was 12-2.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
OK, but the difference is Manning ran CMC's system. Iowa fans want Iowa to get away from the KF system. Hiring a coach that has been in that system for all of his college career, and the coaches son, they may not be many changes to that system. That system was flat out bad this year and last it wasn't great even though Iowa was 12-2.

Most Iowa fans don't want to change the offensive system, they just want to get rid of Greg Davis's garbage horizontal passing attack. I don't know a single Iowa fan (although I'm sure there are some) who wants or expects to bring in some spread offense guru. Most just want to return to the system Iowa had under Ken O'Keefe, one that actually throws the ball downfield, utilizes the middle of the field, and uses play action to get the TE involved. Greg Davis's scheme did none of those things.

Reactions: hawxrox09

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Most Iowa fans don't want to change the offensive system, they just want to get rid of Greg Davis's garbage horizontal passing attack. I don't know a single Iowa fan (although I'm sure there are some) who wants or expects to bring in some spread offense guru. Most just want to return to the system Iowa had under Ken O'Keefe, one that actually throws the ball downfield, utilizes the middle of the field, and uses play action to get the TE involved. Greg Davis's scheme did none of those things.

Its all Kirk's system. Just a different guy calling the plays.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Someone say they are looking for a OC?

220px-MarkMangino.jpg

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Its all Kirk's system. Just a different guy calling the plays.

I can understand why an outsider might think this, but any intelligent Iowa fan would tell you that couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, Ferentz is only going to bring in somebody who is going to run a pro-style system that relies on a zone blocking running scheme. But there are massive differences between the "passing attack" Greg Davis tried to implement and the one KOK had in place.

• Agree
Reactions: hawxrox09

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
I can understand why an outsider might think this, but any intelligent Iowa fan would tell you that couldn't be further from the truth. Of course, Ferentz is only going to bring in somebody who is going to run a pro-style system that relies on a zone blocking running scheme. But there are massive differences between the "passing attack" Greg Davis tried to implement and the one KOK had in place.
Didn't a lot of the Iowa fans want KOK gone when he was there too?

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

The difference was KOK had good WRs his good QB could throw down field to. When you don't have good WR and/or a QB that can make the deep throws it makes it hard to throw don't field.