Who's going to take the fall at EIU?

musicboy

Apr 10, 2006
Someone is surely going to lose his or her job over this disaster at EIU. Who will that be?

KF
Sally Mason
Gary Barta

or some poor associate athletic director who is close to retirement?

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
My prediction -- Fred Mimms will be the fall-guy -- He will resign (not be fired) -- noone else will lose their job. I hope I'm wrong. I've read the letter and if that is an accurate portrayal of the story UI President Sally Mason needs to go and/or Gary Barta.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
As I've stated in another thread, the female employee who is the coordinator for athletics, and whose name escapes me, is the natural choice. She is mentioned in nearly every article, but none explains why she is.

She is as good as gone. Though look for her to be rehired, as a consultant, at four times the salary for "taking one for the team".

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And, as I've stated on the Kirk Ferentz thread, the U of I has a big problem on its hands in the form of BOR President David Miles. He is a very, very smart man, and will ask the hard questions. He will not put up with incompetence at best, and obstruction at worst. Mason, Barta, and Ferentz should all fear for their jobs if David Miles is indeed "shocked" about how this has played out, as he says that he is.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm guess they won't touch KF unless he has another losing season. Remember that ugly comment that Pat Hardy made on C & C regarding if Iowa football program was winning then most of this will go away.

Barta and Sally will find ways to hide behind the policies in place.

It will be interesting to say the least. I have a feeling no one will get fired though.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
They all stay. Guarantee it. I have a sick feeling that a massive injustice is going to happen here, and everyone will know what a sham it really is. It will be OJ-esque, at least in the sense that the obviously guilty will go unpunished...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I don't see how Kirk will lose his job. He can hide behind the policy and claim he was doing what the university instructed him to do. I'm sure he was not the one in charge of providing the BOR the information requested so he couldn't get into trouble there.

Barta could be in a little trouble, but he just got there and he can claim the policy was from before his time and he has not had the chance to review everything.

The president also just got there and can also claim this as the previous administration's problem.

I think everyone important will be spared and there will be a committee to review university policies and proceedures. I do, however, feel that if this gets as ugly as speculated Kirk will be encouraged to find a new job to get all of this behind the university.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
And, as I've stated on the Kirk Ferentz thread, the U of I has a big problem on its hands in the form of BOR President David Miles. He is a very, very smart man, and will ask the hard questions. He will not put up with incompetence at best, and obstruction at worst. Mason, Barta, and Ferentz should all fear for their jobs if David Miles is indeed "shocked" about how this has played out, as he says that he is.

I very much hope that this is the case. We need to have questions answered and all that are found to be in the wrong need to face the consequences of their actions.

However, from what I see here I'm going to have to vote for some assistant AD close to retirement taking the fall here. EIU seems to be circling the wagons and hiding behind policy and trying to make this thing disappear quietly. It seems that for this thing to be played out to the end the media needs to get more engaged. This may finally be starting to happen, but up until now this story has hardly registered. The warrents were finally released but they were back page to the flooding. Now with RAGBRAI going on it seems tha the Rag has no interest in pushing this to the front as they should. Even today, several days after the letter surfaced, I had to dig on their website to find an article on it. Had I not been looking for it, I never would have known it was there.

I hope I am wrong about this, I really hope that someone will step up and see that this is investigated to the end, but at this point I still have a lot of worries that people are going to get off the hook for this one way or another.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They all stay. Guarantee it. I have a sick feeling that a massive injustice is going to happen here, and everyone will know what a sham it really is. It will be OJ-esque, at least in the sense that the obviously guilty will go unpunished...

I have been tempted to make the OJ connection at many points on this issue but I have resisted so far. But I agree completely, it has that feeling of the powerful but obviously guilty buying their way out of punishment for the crime. The thing is, OJ could go off and try to hide on the golf course. It's pretty hard for the University to keep a low profile...

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I very much hope that this is the case. We need to have questions answered and all that are found to be in the wrong need to face the consequences of their actions.

However, from what I see here I'm going to have to vote for some assistant AD close to retirement taking the fall here. EIU seems to be circling the wagons and hiding behind policy and trying to make this thing disappear quietly. It seems that for this thing to be played out to the end the media needs to get more engaged. This may finally be starting to happen, but up until now this story has hardly registered. The warrents were finally released but they were back page to the flooding. Now with RAGBRAI going on it seems tha the Rag has no interest in pushing this to the front as they should. Even today, several days after the letter surfaced, I had to dig on their website to find an article on it. Had I not been looking for it, I never would have known it was there.

I hope I am wrong about this, I really hope that someone will step up and see that this is investigated to the end, but at this point I still have a lot of worries that people are going to get off the hook for this one way or another.

We will see, aeroclone. I hope you are wrong, too.
However, that sound you hear is the "deep breath" that Sally Mason is taking when her administrative assistant announces, "David Miles is on line 2."

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
No one will take the fall, the regents will say it is a policy problem, they will form a committee, and then bury it.

Reactions: Phaedrus

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I don't necessarily know why Ferentz should escape any of the finger pointing. It is his team and his recruits that have been arrested how many times in the last year and as recent as this past weekend. Obviously the control, or lack thereof, of the team is under his watch and he brought the trash in. It is bad enough that the rapists feel comfortable enough with what will not happen to them that they freely harass the victim because they feel like they are above the system. They're his responsibility...

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk

I have been tempted to make the OJ connection at many points on this issue but I have resisted so far. But I agree completely, it has that feeling of the powerful but obviously guilty buying their way out of punishment for the crime. The thing is, OJ could go off and try to hide on the golf course. It's pretty hard for the University to keep a low profile...

Guys I know what you are trying to compare... How high profile people get off on this and no punishment.

Lets keep it at that... OJ killed two people. They are no longer around.

University of Iowa covered up a rape. The person is still alive, but yes it does affect her life.

Why don't we call a spade a spade and just say this is exactly like the Pierre Pierce incident. The football players will take the fall because they committed the crime. Just like Pierre did.

The University will get the black eye cause they covered up and didn't learn their lesson the first time it happened with PP.

Edit: I think people inside the university need to start answering some questions, and like I said earlier I feel no one will get punished. In my opinion, though, everyone involved need their jobs looked at.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No one will take the fall, the regents will say it is a policy problem, they will form a committee, and then bury it.

If they do that they can basically kiss their position goodbye. This is an election year and if this thing is still going on in November someone will make a political statement from this. The BOR is the easiest group for politicians to attack and they will.

MontyBurns

Jan 27, 2008
This might accelerate things but it's just a matter of time before Ferentz is gone anyway. There are no schools that can justify paying over $3 million per year to a .500 football coach for very long.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't see anyone being fired, unless the UI President is ticked off enough but even she appears to be at fault. I don't see anyone resigning.

If this thing goes to trial, nothing can really be bured so who knows.

Like Miller said, I could see Ferentz stepping down if there is another poor football season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron