Fighting Camera Tickets?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
ITT: Personal emotions driving vaguely-related opinions about traffic law enforcement strategies.

CarlHungus

Feb 19, 2012
Ankeny
Yeah, that mobile unit parked along University pisses me off. I drive through Windsor Heights most days and I'm always surprised at how many people are doing 35 easy. I don't know the stats but that thing has to be an ATM on wheels for WH.

This is why I avoid radar heights

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ironic that within a year of removing the cameras they had a serious accident at 142nd and Hickman. they had one there prior to the cameras but none during the time they were active. I know this as I lived away from the intersection for the time period before and during the cameras being there. But we all know that these cameras do nothing to slow people down or not run red lights correct!
Clive's biggest problem is the stop lights are not programmed properly. I live in Grimes and take 128th St to get to work some days if I want to avoid the engineering nightmare that Hwy 141 is with all the stop lights on a 4 lane "highway." Anyways the biggest problem with the intersections along Hickman is that the stop lights aren't timed properly so when traffic is backed up on the north/south streets when the light turns yellow everyone guns it to get through the light because they have already waited about 4 or more lights just to get to the intersection and they don't want to wait again. I timed the light on 128th and Hickman several times during rush hour, if there are vehicles in both left lanes then when the Hickman traffic stops there are left turn only greens for both directions and once both directions get full greens it only stays green for 15 seconds before turning yellow.

I emailed Clive about this over a year ago and they said the DOT was doing a study and was going to reprogram the lights to make the North/South lights timed better according to the amount of traffic passing through them and I have yet to see any changes happen.That's the problem with some of these dangerous intersections is that they do not adjust the stoplights to react to the traffic or they are poorly engineered and creating more turn lanes or line of sight would decrease the number of accidents.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Speed cameras have no situational awareness.

A vast majority of drivers have not one iota of situational awareness, which is a bigger problem than a measly $75 (if anyone's wondering what 'measly' is, think of the amount of money people spend on things like iPhones, etc, so they can take a selfie or update their FB status while driving).

*At speeds over 60 MPH you travel roughly a football field's length in 3-4 seconds, which is the amount of time it takes to stop a car in most situations, which is also outside the visual field of a spot like the interstate through Cedar Rapids, which means you can't stop the car in the distance you can see if you needed to quickly if you're going something like 65 in that area. *People often mock things like these facts, but they do exist.

Don't get me wrong-- it's great for the gas stations to make money off of people burning fuel, and great for Darwin candidates who unfortunately don't take themselves out of the equation nearly enough, but other peoples' safety is a concern now and then.

Last I checked, if you don't want to deal with the hassle of a speeding ticket, read the numbers on the big white signs, find them on the speedometer, and line things up. It's astounding how hard that is for people to figure out, but also not terribly surprising either.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
This is how government works these days. Especially in Chicago. Corruption for the win.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/p...orruption-awarding-chicago-s-red-light-camera

These were NEVER about safety, always about the money.

As the CEO of Redflex Traffic Systems Inc., KAREN FINLEY would funnel cash and other financial benefits to the city official, JOHN BILLS, and his friend, MARTIN O’MALLEY, in exchange for improper assistance in awarding city red-light camera contracts to Redflex

It's especially egregious and more dangerous as in many instances they have Shortened the Yellow light times.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
This is how government works these days. Especially in Chicago. Corruption for the win.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ndil/p...orruption-awarding-chicago-s-red-light-camera

These were NEVER about safety, always about the money.

As the CEO of Redflex Traffic Systems Inc., KAREN FINLEY would funnel cash and other financial benefits to the city official, JOHN BILLS, and his friend, MARTIN O’MALLEY, in exchange for improper assistance in awarding city red-light camera contracts to Redflex

It's especially egregious and more dangerous as in many instances they have Shortened the Yellow light times.

These should be illegal in the state of Iowa within 6 months if we can take the word of the new legislators.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Hopefully they follow through and should be an area that is mostly non-partisan. Brad Zaun was pretty emphatic about it and I hope they get it done.

Traffic cameras will be back and will be commonplace in a couple of decades. As driver aggression and related accidents continue to increase, rising insurance rates will force municipalities to deal with the traffic problems, and financial pressures will not permit using human officers to do it. So...for now, enjoy your "victory" I guess...

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hopefully they follow through and should be an area that is mostly non-partisan. Brad Zaun was pretty emphatic about it and I hope they get it done.

I thought i remember there being a good amount of support in both parties for cameras being banned, but gronstal blocking it on the senate side.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Traffic cameras will be back and will be commonplace in a couple of decades. As driver aggression and related accidents continue to increase, rising insurance rates will force municipalities to deal with the traffic problems, and financial pressures will not permit using human officers to do it. So...enjoy your "victory" I guess...

But that all gets blown away by the coming self-driving car revolution.

Cities will have to find a new way to fleece out of towners when cars automatically follow all laws.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Just going to say this - if speed limits are enforced without exception than speed minimums should be enforced without exception.

You know what this means, even in traffic jams you must go the minimum. To not ticket in that situation means the city is ignoring one side of the law while enforcing the other. There is no difference between minimum and maximum and selective enforcement should be banned. If speed minimums are a problem then get rid of them or design the highway differently.

I am being serious.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Just going to say this - if speed limits are enforced without exception than speed minimums should be enforced without exception.

You know what this means, even in traffic jams you must go the minimum. To not ticket in that situation means the city is ignoring one side of the law while enforcing the other. There is no difference between minimum and maximum and selective enforcement should be banned. If speed minimums are a problem then get rid of them or design the highway differently.

I am being serious.

Pretty much every minimum speed limit law that I have seen has a provision to drive below the minimum limit for safety and other reasons.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I am being serious.
Are you being serious?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Just got one of these, ironically from Cedar Rapids, for a rental car we used a month ago. The rental car company has already paid it and charged my credit card (interesting that they kept my card information for a month). However, when I looked into it, the citation was for two days after I returned the car. So, we have Cedar Rapids making arbitrary fines with a camera. And we have the rental car company making arbitrary charges in error. Big Brother is already here.

• Useful
Reactions: CYdTracked

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Traffic cameras will be back and will be commonplace in a couple of decades. As driver aggression and related accidents continue to increase, rising insurance rates will force municipalities to deal with the traffic problems, and financial pressures will not permit using human officers to do it. So...for now, enjoy your "victory" I guess...

Oh please we won't even have "drivers" in a couple decades. Unless you count computers and they won't be driving too fast to raise money for these incompetent cities.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Just got one of these, ironically from Cedar Rapids, for a rental car we used a month ago. The rental car company has already paid it and charged my credit card (interesting that they kept my card information for a month). However, when I looked into it, the citation was for two days after I returned the car. So, we have Cedar Rapids making arbitrary fines with a camera. And we have the rental car company making arbitrary charges in error. Big Brother is already here.

Wow, I would be super pissed at that rental company. Dispute the transaction with your credit card if it is less than 30 days.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Wow, I would be super pissed at that rental company. Dispute the transaction with your credit card if it is less than 30 days.

The rental company seems to be taking care of it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron