Volleyball NCAA tournament

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Iowa State plays 1st and 2nd round games (December 1, @7:30) in Columbia, with Missouri being the host school as a 15 seed. ISU plays Purdue, which was one of just two teams to beat Kansas this year (winning, 3-1). Missouri plays Northern Illinois.

The site format changed this year. Apparently, after the first weekend, the regional sites will be hosted by the highest remaining seed in each region. If all seeded teams in a region are eliminated before that point, I have no idea what happens (makes me wonder if they even thought about it).

Not sure how Kansas State got to host 1st and 2nd round games this year. Their RPI last week was 18, and they finished behind Iowa State. Also, TCU got in at 14-12, 7-9. Iowa was looking to make their first tournament in eons, but had to go up against #1, #3, and #14 for their final three matches, losing by a combined score of 9-2. They finished 19-13, 9-11 and get to watch the tournament from home.

Here's a link to the field of 64:

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/volleyball-women/d1

• Informative
Reactions: yCy and NWICY

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I've never liked the volleyball seeding. always something not quite right. Texas and Kansas in same bracket pretty much assures only 1 big 12 team in final 4 unless ISU or KSU goes off.

• Agree
Reactions: yCy

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I've never liked the volleyball seeding. always something not quite right. Texas and Kansas in same bracket pretty much assures only 1 big 12 team in final 4 unless ISU or KSU goes off.
Yeah, that was pretty bush league and definitely avoidable.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/volleyball-women/d1/ncaa-womens-volleyball-rpi

Here are the final RPI rankings. ISU is at #27, KSU at #18, TCU at #20, KU at #5 and UT at #4.

I would give more weight to conference round robin standings than RPI which would result in KU being seeded higher than UT and ISU higher than KSU.

I don't have a problem with KU and UT being in the same regional bracket based on national seeds but KU should have been seeded higher than UT with the region home court advantage.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
KU probably should have had the 4 seed. If I were Minny, I'd be pissed as **** at my regional. Hawaii or USC? That's rough.

Wisky has a solid path. I'm definitely rooting for Carlini and crew.

I think Purdue will be a tough game for us. We have similar records, but Purdue was in the conference of death so "battle-tested" is putting it lightly. Seriously, the BIG has the top three seeds!

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
It is great that ISU made the tournament again. With the early slow start, the odds were looking slim until those great matches later in the season. Way to go gals.

Reactions: harimad
H

HGPuck

I'm fairly happy with our draw. Purdue will be a tough match, but it feels fair for two teams that were likely right in the middle of the group of at-large teams in the field. And you can't complain about potentially playing the 15 seed in the second round at a site that is a bus ride away. Beyond that I mainly wanted to avoid being in Nebraska's regional which we did.

I think our match with Purdue could be one of the better first round match-ups. They are better than their record indicates because of the difficulty of playing the Big 10 schedule this year and we are playing much better now than our record for the season would indicate.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
IIRC the key to victory will be getting Buster a gift coupon to buy some more lights he can install with his dad. We are undefeated when he does that and does not attend in person. Just sayin'.
:)

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Having watched a lot of MN and NU this year whoever can beat them is going to be one heck of a volleyball team.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Having watched a lot of MN and NU this year whoever can beat them is going to be one heck of a volleyball team.

I'd say MN is hot right now after that comeback win against Nebby.

Sarah Whilhite is a freak, as is Kadie Rolfzen.

Seeing MN blocking shutting down Foecke and making her look amateur was eye opening.

Purdue coach was not thrilled about getting ISU. "It is difficult to understand seeding, or placement of teams in NCAAVB field. The Missouri field is very good. Don't even know our own seed. Iowa State is Red-Hot. Here we go."

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
We couldn't ask for anything better than playing at the site of the 15th seed; that being said, whoever wins between ISU and Purdue is in for a battle against the Tigers. Mizzou has one of the best home crowds in all of college VB, and the Hearnes Center is a great home court advantage.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
Seeing MN blocking shutting down Foecke and making her look amateur was eye opening.

I agree that takes some doing! In fact I did not think it was even possible to be honest.

Big Mac showed up at one of our younger girls practices one day the girls coudn't believe it.

Mizzou crowd will be crazy but first things first- Go clones!

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
IIRC the key to victory will be getting Buster a gift coupon to buy some more lights he can install with his dad. We are undefeated when he does that and does not attend in person. Just sayin'.
:)
I will accept pretty much any home-improvement type stuff if this is what it will take for a win(s)! I won't be picky about it in this situation. (Just include the receipt in case you have bad taste... :p)

Reactions: BoxsterCy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Once again it's ridiculous that ISU doesn't have their own radio broadcast team for a program of this stature and following. We're #10 in the country in attendance.
Even Purdue has their own radio announcers following them to Columbia.
Even UNI has their volleyball matches on radio. Their announcers are in Lawrence.
It's pathetic.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Once again it's ridiculous that ISU doesn't have their own radio broadcast team for a program of this stature and following. We're #10 in the country in attendance.
Even Purdue has their own radio announcers following them to Columbia.
Even UNI has their volleyball matches on radio. Their announcers are in Lawrence.
It's pathetic.

I agree. Not to slight Women's Bball, but I'd much rather follow women's volleyball than women's basketball. My wife is from Nebraska and once you see the coverage they get over there of women's volleyball, it makes what we have look like a joke.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
The irony is that many of those announcers who "call" volleyball for D1 teams, are REALLY REALLY biased and bad, kind of like Rich F. on steroids. It is kind of a pet peeve of mine how so many Midwest announcers cannot tell black players from one another, or from previous black players that graduated for that matter.

I'm in the car today at 4:30 and would love to have an audio stream of the match. ESPN3 just for the audio "might" work, but it unreliable.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Once again it's ridiculous that ISU doesn't have their own radio broadcast team for a program of this stature and following.

Take it up with Learfield/Cyclone Sports Properties. They make the media decisions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron