Our seniors will be missed, but our future looks very bright

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
I am going to miss our seniors, who put up great efforts for this team. Ciara earned the coach's respect, and often played the fill rotation. Suzanne transferred in just at the time we needed help at setter. And I am sure none of you will forget Morgan subbing in over the years and pounding down some great kills. They were wonderful players and will certainly be missed.

But our future looks really bright with the likes of Schaben, Conaway, Lazard, West and Hillegas coming back next year. Plus we have some great recruits coming in as well and some younger players that will likely earn greater playing time.. Coach continues to do a great job in my mind and the team ended the season on a positive note with the OU loss, even if the start of the season was a bit sketchy. I hope they are rewarded with another trip to the dance again this year.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I hope they are rewarded with another trip to the dance again this year.

Finishing 10-2 should get them dancing. The matches included those quality sets against Texas and Kansas. The way they were playing early I would not have bet on that finish. The way they are playing now they could have a good NCAA tournament.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
That has to be the biggest in season improvement of any ISU sports team that I can recall. I'd love to see a nice tournament run, but I'm especially excited to see what this team does in the next couple of years.

• Agree
Reactions: BenEClone

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Did anyone else notice that Sami Hillmer and Branen Berta were not at the game last night? Anyone know what that is about?

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Definitely an unexpected finish, considering how the conference season began. Not thrilled with the prospects of where we will be sent for NCAA 1st and 2nd round games (most likely one of three: Lincoln, Minneapolis, or Madison), but they certainly have the ability to pull a surprise regardless of where they are sent. I wouldn't mind seeing them snag a couple more wins this year. :)

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Really great job coaching by Christie after a pretty rough start.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Definitely an unexpected finish, considering how the conference season began. Not thrilled with the prospects of where we will be sent for NCAA 1st and 2nd round games (most likely one of three: Lincoln, Minneapolis, or Madison), but they certainly have the ability to pull a surprise regardless of where they are sent. I wouldn't mind seeing them snag a couple more wins this year. :)

be surprised if they came back to Madison, that's where they went last year. Great for me, but they'll probably go to one of the other two.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
Did anyone else notice that Sami Hillmer and Branen Berta were not at the game last night? Anyone know what that is about?

At the end of the match, we realized Berta wasn't there. You're right, neither was Hillmer. We saw Berta sitting behind the baseline during the senior ceremony. A few players greeted her with hugs afterward. It's possible neither made the trip to Baylor either.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
As hard as it was to imagine continuing the NCAA tourney streak early in the season, it would be hard to imagine being left out now. Congrats to all for getting things going. An impressive finish and hopefully more to come.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
If you're not one of the top 16 seeds who host the first two rounds, it's tough - if you win your first match, you're facing a top 16 team on their court in the next round.
Our early losses have us paying the price of not hosting.
Missouri will be a seeded team and will host - they're good, but I'd rather go there than Minny or Neb...

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Selection show is 8 p.m. so will know soon enough.

Curious so looked up locations in the last 10 years for us and we have only left the midwest twice in ten years. Been to Madison and Mpls three times each including twice in a row for each.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Selection show is 8 p.m. so will know soon enough.

Curious so looked up locations in the last 10 years for us and we have only left the midwest twice in ten years. Been to Madison and Mpls three times each including twice in a row for each.

Well maybe I'll get lucky again. or you'll get to see them play!

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
looks like we'll be going to Minny. Other 3 regionals out and we aren't in those.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Ended up in Mizzou's bracket at Columbia. Purdue first round. Tough first round game but playing in Columbia beats the heck out of going to Minny, Madision or Lincoln.

CJL has to be disappointed KSU got a Top 16 seed over ISU who finished ahead of them in the B12 round robin.

KSU was 19 in the RPI as of 11/21 and ISU was 30. Based on seeding, ISU was considered to be the #18 team although the Committee will bracket based on geography as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Ended up in Mizzou's bracket at Columbia. Purdue first round. Tough first round game but playing in Columbia beats the heck out of going to Minny, Madision or Lincoln.

CJL has to be disappointed KSU got a Top 16 seed over ISU who finished ahead of them in the B12 round robin.

KSU was 19 in the RPI as of 11/21 and ISU was 30. Based on seeding, ISU was considered to be the #18 team although the Committee will bracket based on geography as well.
I think K-State deserved their 16 seed - maybe should have been a little higher IMO. They beat Hawaii at Hawaii - that gets my attention. Also beat Georgia Tech and Creighton.
On the other hand, we performed horribly in the non-con.

• Agree
Reactions: BenEClone

ISU40

Jan 8, 2012
Ames
Watched coaches comments after the game. Sami was sick and appeared tonight at the NCAA show. CJL said Berta is taking personal time off.

• Creative
Reactions: ISUalways