Thanksgiving 2016 Beer Thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Have you been saving anything special? New beer that you like?

I plan on opening the following this weekend

Summit #23 Unchained Dark Infusion
TG Hopsmack DIPA-The best DIPA I've had this year

Then on Friday I plan on going up to Minneapolis and visiting

Town Hall and The Republic (Hotel is less than a block away)

Want to check out a new-to-me brewery. Any opinions would be helpful.

Fair State
Sisyphus
HammerHeart

Reactions: Clonebydesign

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
My brother is a big beer fan like I am so I had to get some big guns for our Friday Thanksgiving. We prolly won't get through them all, but I figured we'd start Friday for the Clone bball game. What we got:

2 Treehouse Julius
2 Treehouse Alter Ego
2 Treehouse Single Shot
2 Trillium Double Dry Hopped Sleeper Street
2 Alchemist Heady Topper
2 Alchemist Focal Banger
And then a Bruery Chocolate Rain as a night capper

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Have you been saving anything special? New beer that you like?

I plan on opening the following this weekend

Summit #23 Unchained Dark Infusion
TG Hopsmack DIPA-The best DIPA I've had this year

Then on Friday I plan on going up to Minneapolis and visiting

Town Hall and The Republic (Hotel is less than a block away)

Want to check out a new-to-me brewery. Any opinions would be helpful.

Fair State
Sisyphus
HammerHeart
The one HammerHeart beer I have had was good and I have heard good things. Never been though

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
My dad is bringing some Dragon's Milk over, I've never tried it but he says its good. Any thoughts from you beer enthusiasts?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Coming home from 3 weeks in Europe. This is going to be Yuuuugee!

Not sure of the order ...

Odell Myrcenary IPA
Verboten Mountain Man Barrel Aged
Oskar Blues TenFiddy Barrel Aged
Left Hand Rye on the Prize

That should get me to breakfast....

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Nothing too special this year. I have a Sierra Nevada variety pack, 8 Goose IPA's and one Deschutes Hop Slice left over.

BIL is coming to stay with us. Last time we were together we tried a Sour beer. Who decided that was a good choice? Yuck!

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Nothing too special this year. I have a Sierra Nevada variety pack, 8 Goose IPA's and one Deschutes Hop Slice left over.

BIL is coming to stay with us. Last time we were together we tried a Sour beer. Who decided that was a good choice? Yuck!

About the only good thing I can say about that is the labeling is accurate. That stuff is heinous.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I'm fully on the sour beer train. Have two 750ml bottles of Boulevard Smokestack series of Love Child No. 6 and Funkier Pumpkin. Regular Funky Pumpkin is one of my new favs so excited to try this 8.5% version.

Reactions: dmclone

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Headed up to the DSM area this afternoon. Have time for a quick growler fill up. Driving by Knoxville, thinking of going with some No Coast in one growler.

What should be my second stop?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Headed up to the DSM area this afternoon. Have time for a quick growler fill up. Driving by Knoxville, thinking of going with some No Coast in one growler.

Growler fill from 515. Opens at 2pm.

Reactions: Bret44

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

We'll be getting into some TG Mornin' Delight, Sosus, Twisted Galaxy, a bunch of Pipeworks (including the Double Creature Feature collab with TG) and some kind of pumpkin imperial stout that the wife ended up with and I just can't remember for the life of me what brewery was behind it.

Reactions: Bret44 and dmclone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My dad is bringing some Dragon's Milk over, I've never tried it but he says its good. Any thoughts from you beer enthusiasts?

Dragon's Milk is outstanding. Almost as good as BCBS if you're into that type of thing. But you don't have to wait in line for days and/or pay $20 per bottle to get it.

Reactions: dmclone

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

We'll be getting into some TG Mornin' Delight, Sosus, Twisted Galaxy, a bunch of Pipeworks (including the Double Creature Feature collab with TG) and some kind of pumpkin imperial stout that the wife ended up with and I just can't remember for the life of me what brewery was behind it.

I had Sosus last night and it was pretty darn good. But I've had it before. New to me is Hopsmack, which I will drink tonight or tomorrow :)

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
A couple more that I've recently had.

Stone Xocoveza-Excellent

Madhouse El Jefe-A little spice

Surly Abrasive is not as good as I remember it. I prefer Todd the Axeman. Both are too expensive.

TG Biter DIPA-Probably the worst beer I've had from them since Dorthy

Born Yesterday-This and TG Hopsmack are probably my two favorites this year

Death by Coconut-Excellent

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012

Jealous! Love that beer!

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I got on kind of an Oktoberfest kick so I just picked up some Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen and some Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest. Probably break a few of those out along with a couple Paulaner Oktoberfest-Marzens I have leftover and the some Stella which I always have around.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I had Sosus last night and it was pretty darn good. But I've had it before. New to me is Hopsmack, which I will drink tonight or tomorrow :)

Hopsmack has been awesome this year. It's been awesome ever since it was resurrected.

Biter wasn't good at all. Not a flawed beer, but just really meh.

The ironic part is back when both of those were a staple at TG (2012ish), I vastly preferred Biter. New Biter is very different than I remember, as is Hopsmack. One is better, one is worse. I guess I'll call it a wash.