Brackins info

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
For those of you who are looking for info on the future like I was today after the Drake loss...

Some commentary on Brackins from a tournament. Some good, some bad.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1477

We really need some bodies that can get it done in the post. I'm not sure if Brackins sounds like he's "it" or not. I hope so!

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Yeah, I think brackins might like to do what our current post players do a lot of and thats "not play down low". The guy has a lot of talent, but I don't think we should think our low post problems are solved when he gets here.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Yeah, I'm not sure we need another guy over 6'7 standing on the perimeter launching threes.

It's funny how we keep signing toothpicks to play forward and center for us when it seems even the UNIs of the world can find somebody with some beef to move people around in the paint.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Yeah, I'm not sure we need another guy over 6'7 standing on the perimeter launching threes.

It's funny how we keep signing toothpicks to play forward and center for us when it seems even the UNIs of the world can find somebody with some beef to move people around in the paint.

Excellent post. This is exactly our basketball problem right now. We may have height, but we need size to bully teams down low in the paint. It is interesting to see how many teams we have played that have big men, who may not be that good just dominate us inside. Think of how much better we would be if we just had one 6'8" guy that weighed 240. :baffled5wh:

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Appears Diarra, the 7 footer, is not committed to anywhere yet. To bad we didn't have a scholarship left to offer so that we have a true center in our future.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Our only hope for the near future for a "true" center-like player would be Alex Thompson, is that correct? That is, unless Brackins puts on some weight and expresses a desire to play down low...

zoutte

May 8, 2006
There are guys who are skinny that can still play strong (ie. Brad Sellers). I don't know if I've ever seen someone become a 'stronger player' in a short period of time. Either you play that way or you don't. Rancik did about as good of job of becoming strong as anyone at ISU and that took a few years under Larry. Taggart was most definitely never going to get there. CJ has the potential but is young and short for the post. Bottom line-we're gonna have to live with being out-manned in the paint. Use our feet better for position and block people out as far away from the hoop as possible...and cross our fingers. Oden on the horizon!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If we consistently shot 35-40% threes it would be one thing. Only Mike and Dodie appear to fit that bill at times. With no inside game, the defense can then play the perimeter. Maybe McD current offense will not work with this hodge podge group of newbies. He may want to alter his thinking for this year.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I'm hoping that Alex can help out at center, but he is listed as a power forward. Seems we are loaded with power forwards. Hopefully he's using the extra year to bulk up and is taking notice that if he wants to bang low, he's a shoe-in for a starting position.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
I'm hoping that Alex can help out at center, but he is listed as a power forward. Seems we are loaded with power forwards. Hopefully he's using the extra year to bulk up and is taking notice that if he wants to bang low, he's a shoe-in for a starting position.

Center, at least in college, is an overrated position. Very few teams have a true NBA style center. Most are in the mold of power forwards. As long as we have a guy 6-8 or taller with some bulk, long arms, and the ability to block some shots and rebound, I don't care what his body makes him.

Hell, one year we started Fizer (6-7), Stevie Johnson (6-4), Kantrail Horton, Mike Nurse, and Jamaal Tinsley. It didn't matter, we still out-rebounded just about everybody.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Center, at least in college, is an overrated position. Very few teams have a true NBA style center. Most are in the mold of power forwards. As long as we have a guy 6-8 or taller with some bulk, long arms, and the ability to block some shots and rebound, I don't care what his body makes him.

True this. Not too many tall kids come out of HS or a Prep having bulk. It takes time at the training table and the weight room to develop that physique. Anyone remember what Shaq looked like at LSU? strong player, but very skinny.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Hell, one year we started Fizer (6-7), Stevie Johnson (6-4), Kantrail Horton, Mike Nurse, and Jamaal Tinsley. It didn't matter, we still out-rebounded just about everybody.

And I think Stevie might have been on his tip toes to get 6'4"...stood next to him in Lawrence outside the locker room after they beat KU at The Phog for the first time in 17 years...he didn't seem 6 inches taller than me.

Fizer had the butt, shoulders, and strength to distance people from him...he played like 6'9" on the offensive end.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
And I think Stevie might have been on his tip toes to get 6'4"...stood next to him in Lawrence outside the locker room after they beat KU at The Phog for the first time in 17 years...he didn't seem 6 inches taller than me.

Fizer had the butt, shoulders, and strength to distance people from him...he played like 6'9" on the offensive end.

Exactly. You don't have to be 7 foot to contribute inside.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Marsden looks as though he added some bulk...what happened to Jiri with no added bulk..

HoopKnowledge

Nov 1, 2006
Some idiot with an internet connection now has the ability to evaluate prospects such as Brackins, and you take his words as gospel? LOL. Dude, trust McDermott and his staff.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Did anyone even read this article?

Brackins was an absolute nightmare for opposing power forwards to guard, as he can beat big men off the dribble from the perimeter, while also being a threat to score at will on the low blocks. While he is not a very physical player by any stretch of the matter, the Iowa State commit is nowhere near as soft as many have labeled him. He had no problem going down to the low post and scoring via jump hooks or smooth turnaround jumpers.

Not able to score in the post huh? What part of "score at will on the low blocks" don't you get? He's about 6-9/6-10ish and from the pictures I've seen he looks like he already has more bulk than most of our big guys.

I think the guy that could really do some damage with some added weight is Wesley Johnson. He has a nice frame to fill out and even if he could get to about 220 it would do a lot for his inside game with as athletic and lanky as he is.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron