Comments about Drake and future

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
First of all hats off to Dr. Tom and his players they played one hell of a game.

Positives: Dodie Dunson by far was the most suprising performance today, he hit the clutch shots when needed and didnt fear to go in the paint. McIntosh looked like he wanted to play today, and he was very agressive. Wesley and Rahshon are going to be one kinda tandem, both are very good and athletic players.

Negatives: Mike Taylor is forcing way too much, i would like to see a split in the rotation with Taylor/McIntosh/and Dunson has played himself into it. Didn't seem like Hubalek and Gray did anything, really got outrebounded. WHERE IS CORY JOHNSON????? How about the DEFENSE?

Overall: ISU got outplayed most of the game and Drake deserved to win. ISU needs to get some new in bound plays cause taht lob crap is not going to work all the time, especially in big 12 play.

Thoughts?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Honestly I know what I'm about to say isn't going to be popular but Rahshon Clark hinders this team more than he helps I believe. He is an awful man to man defender outside of the lane and really isn't much of a shooter. Sure he hits 3's and is streaky but really the guy is a great athlete that makes for a decent ball player. I believe he hustles himself into good situations but just isn't a good fit for this system.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Rashon's ball-handling skills are his downfall. When we had Will and Curtis here to pass him the ball and set him up for easy dunks and layups, he was great. He is decent at rebounding, but otherwise, that's about it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I hope our team tries to do full court press. We play better at high speed than slow speed IMO. If you cannot get the ball inside, the SLOW SPEED is not very effective. To pass the ball around the outside against a zone and then take a three is Mickey Mouse. Clark needs to take shots earlier in the game. When he shoots, I was shocked to see NO rebounders on other side of rim. HuH? We do not challenge much for rebounding. If you have 3 40 inch jumpers, you should be rebounding better.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
The offense was a lot like last year for the first 32 minutes of the game. Throw it around the outside for 25 seconds, then shoot a perimeter jumpshot. Even though our bigs aren't that good, you've still gotta work it in to make the defense move.

URBCLONE

Mar 26, 2006
Urbandale
The offense was a lot like last year for the first 32 minutes of the game. Throw it around the outside for 25 seconds, then shoot a perimeter jumpshot. Even though our bigs aren't that good, you've still gotta work it in to make the defense move.

Exactly right Zdorr. This game reminded me a lot of last year as well. Our defense was terrible today. GM said they gave up something like 18 dunks or layups.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Clark is somewhat limited, but I feel he makes up for it in hustle that leads to rebounding, second chance points, and stepping up when a play is needed. I agree that he is an athlete first and then a BB player. I think he would be an awesome wide receiver in football. Quick, can jump, and has great hands. I would be excited to hear that Gene asks him to suit up next year for the long ball... like a Moss type player.

With that said, he is a huge asset to this team and hopefully can develop his BB skills to make him more complete. Maybe having him play about 10 minutes less would allow him to play with even more energy while he is in, and would allow Dodie, C. Johnson, and even a couple players like Curry a couple more minutes to contribute.

Actually, he could probably do a better job playing our center then our big's do. Good around the basket with rebounding and put backs and tips for second chance points. I'm being sarcastic here, but he probably wouldn't do much worse the our bigs and his athleticism would offer more then our current bigs are offering.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

Our Clones are getting better slowly but surely. A little bit better defense and we win this game by 5 pts.:sad9cd:

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Clark had 13 points with 6 boards and 4 of 9 shooting. That's a pretty good game by my count.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
We started the year playing decent defense but had no offense. Now we are seeing less then stellar defense but better offense. However, neither are great.

Overall I think we are playing better as the competition is getting better. I also think it's not as important to win right now as it is to just get better. BB is a long season and if we finish strong and competitive in the Big 12, things will turn out OK for this team.

I hope the difference between the first 30 minutes and the last 10 is something this team can learn from. If so, then it's worth a loss. I am also hopeful that through our first 8 games, we haven't really been out of any games... we could have beat UNI and Drake, but also lost some others. If we'd had lost that game by 16 points it would have been a step back, but losing the way we did (and almost a win) it isn't really that bad of thing as long as GMac uses it as a learning opportunity.

I think we will see the character build in this team as the season progresses.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
Honestly I know what I'm about to say isn't going to be popular but Rahshon Clark hinders this team more than he helps I believe. He is an awful man to man defender outside of the lane and really isn't much of a shooter. Sure he hits 3's and is streaky but really the guy is a great athlete that makes for a decent ball player. I believe he hustles himself into good situations but just isn't a good fit for this system.
I think people were expecting Rahshon to be more of a slasher attacking the basket but that's not really his game. He doesn't bring much more than above average rebounding plus maybe some leadership. Sure, put-back dunks are sweet, but don't win games.

I also agree on the poor defense comment. He hasn't been playing good man-to-man defense or fighting through screens to follow his man very well this year.

One thing that I think he has done well and we should get back to is getting him the ball on the low block where he has a major advantage and showed some good things in games earlier this season.

JBone84

Nov 30, 2006
Rochester, MN
I had been hoping we were done with Stinson's "I have to do everything myself" mentality.

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I think Clark is an excellent player. He had a good day today. The problem is that we think he should be the best player for ISU, a bit unreasonable I think. He reminds me of Stevie Johnson a bit, but better....

Clark is a role player, I think some people might expect more out of him then what is there...

I agree what most of you said about Taylor. We are fortunate in that we have a lot of season left to get better...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I wouldn't even call him a good offensive player at this point. Too many turnovers, too many poor shots.

He is a player with a lot of potential that just needs to slow down and use his head. If he starts passing intelligently instead of in panic, stops forcing shots we don't need, and feeds on his teammates, he could be great.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron