Defund the Daily...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Very, very rarely do I see kids reading the paper version. I don't doubt that the online version gets some hits, though, I've done that myself many times.

The Daily does give experience, and I think that may also be part of Ag's problem with it: it's not very good journalism, nor very good experience, to push articles that don't equally represent both sides of a story. Why fund it if it's being led in the wrong direction, anyway?

Not that I support that conclusion, but I can understand where it's coming from.

So they wrote an article that has a heavily left leaning slant?
Sounds like these students will be perfect candidates to be hired by many of the so-called newspapers today.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Apparently a lot of Ag students are fed up with the Dailys coverage of Animals and their "rights", and don't want to be forced to pay for the paper at $3.89? a semester...
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-petitions-defund-student-newspaper/91118226/

Back when I was a student, the ONLY reason I got the Daily was the crossword puzzle which did NOT appear on a daily basis. And the kid I got the Daily from wore a little beret and Payne Stewart pants. And there were horses.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Sounds like these students will be perfect candidates to be hired by many of the so-called newspapers today.

It was an editorial. So-called newspapers have them as well. The big failure IMO is that they did not provide the opposing viewpoint. The claim is they didn't see the CALS student's response, but I'm pretty willing to call ******** on that

• Creative
Reactions: dcxme1183

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Not all journalists like to piss people off or at least I don't. I actually take it more personally when one person is saying something bad even if 20 others are saying good things.

I wish the central Iowa broadcast sports journalists shared your viewpoint, but I have just abandoned watching the local news.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
At this point in time, I'm only ever near the journalism dept when visiting, so it sounds like my sample population is likely skewed!

I do agree that the end goal is fair, unbiased journalism. I don't think that is the Ag's problem with it, though. I think that it is painting their particular practices in a bad light. I don't think they would likely have this big of a deal or a petition if the Daily were skewering the business college.

I get it, nobody likes to have their entire chosen career painted as awful and corrupt. I'm sure the Daily writers feel like they're making hard-hitting exposes, however. It's a struggle of, "Whose career path is ultimately going to be held as more important here?" Do you stop the Ag exposes at the potential loss of experience in journalistic digging and research, or do you allow them to continue at the expense of a black eye to the Ag dept?
You'd think that ISU wouldn't want to paint their own departments in a bad light at all, though. That does strike me as odd -- "Let's try to make own our colleagues look bad for possibly dishonest reasons!" Journalism, Business, and Ag all have one thing in common: they're all departments of the same university.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah yeah yeah "liberal media agenda" blah, we've heard it all before. Spare me. While I agree that journalism at a high level seems to be decreasing in quality over time, both sides of the isle are equally and severely guilty of it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You'd think that ISU wouldn't want to paint their own departments in a bad light at all, though. That does strike me as odd -- "Let's try to make own our colleagues look bad for possibly dishonest reasons!" Journalism, Business, and Ag all have one thing in common: they're all departments of the same university.

From a business point-of-view, I think you're right. "Honest" journalism takes pride in not being affected by its ownership, though - so I can see that being like walking on the edge of a sword.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Looks as if the complaint isn't about the Daily publishing opinion pieces that are anti-ag, it is that the Daily won't publish/ignores/"doesn't see" opinion pieces that are written in response that are "pro-ag" or from the other view point. The Daily is picking and choosing which pieces to publish based on their agenda.

brentblum

Administrator
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2007
Somewhat related, I once wrote a column in the Daily in 2005 titled, "How to hate the Hawkeyes." It featured the brilliant line, "Hawkeye running backs blow....ACLs."...I somewhat regret that column, but it did lead to Hawk fans finding my cell phone and email address on the student directory. They made several prank calls and sent me some interesting NSFW pictures. That was fun and a good learning experience.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I'm still salty about the squinties post getting just sayin' taken out
Ahh, yes my one claim to fame. I was almost certainly featured in a Just Sayin piece for playing Pokemon in Geology 100. Someone wrote something about growing up and getting a girlfriend. Hilarious part was that my now wife sat beside me in that Geo 100 class we took as seniors. Oh college, never change!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Aren't students in college to learn? Seems like these Ag students are learning how the real media treats people in the real Ag world.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah yeah yeah "liberal media agenda" blah, we've heard it all before. Spare me. While I agree that journalism at a high level seems to be decreasing in quality over time, both sides of the isle are equally and severely guilty of it.
I think c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s. is right. There is a ton of left leaning media that does little to mask their predilection to the left. As far as the right goes, it is really a huge stretch to call what goes on there as journalism.