Defund the Daily...

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Not even talking about what they produce I think there are valid points when talking about Daily funding. How many people actually read a paper version. I think moving towards a paper version once a week would be beneficial. Not sure how much that would save.

I know the only thing of value I actually pick up is the basketball preview.

NetflixAndClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
Speaking as a former member of the daily I don't know the Ag writers or anything but I do remember the daily having some members that almost acted like SJW and believed they were God's gift to the news world. I won't say what article it was but once we had a news editor write a news/sports story but she covered more of the news instead of the sports side of the story.

Later the Ames tribune wrote in the same story but focused on the sports side a bit more. Well ESPN came in and linked their article to the Ames tribune instead of the Daily and our editor blow up all pissed off because she was hoping to put that story in her portfolio to show companies ESPN wrote about her article once.

She pretty much called all sports the stupidest thing in the world and called everyone that covered sports dull and not real reporters.

In truth she should've just asked the beat writers in sports for help but she felt like she was above us.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Don't "journalists" love to piss people off? Kind of like Stanford band when they got the Hawk overreaction? Daily staff probably sees this as victory.

Do they still have sweet coupons in it? That alone would pay the $3.89 fee.

Reactions: Angie

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I think the kid took up a good fight against a shoddy publication. The opinion piece was published with ridiculously uninformed bias against the hog industry. Yet the Daily, part of an ag school, went ahead and pushed it without so much as offering a counterpoint.

Reactions: HARMCYN

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not even talking about what they produce I think there are valid points when talking about Daily funding. How many people actually read a paper version. I think moving towards a paper version once a week would be beneficial. Not sure how much that would save.

I know the only thing of value I actually pick up is the basketball preview.

I think a lot of people read the paper version of the Daily. It's something easy to grab while waiting for class. In almost every other medium, printed newspaper is rapidly dying.

I believe that the Daily is funded in large part because it helps give experience to journalism students, correct? Is there a plan by the Ag program for them to additionally fund the journalism department to supplement that otherwise?

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think a lot of people read the paper version of the Daily. It's something easy to grab while waiting for class. In almost every other medium, printed newspaper is rapidly dying.

I believe that the Daily is funded in large part because it helps give experience to journalism students, correct? Is there a plan by the Ag program for them to additionally fund the journalism department to supplement that otherwise?
I never see anyone reading it in paper version. I read it fairly regularly on my phone though. I do think it is a good thing to help the journalism department but do we need to print it out every day?

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

Very, very rarely do I see kids reading the paper version. I don't doubt that the online version gets some hits, though, I've done that myself many times.

The Daily does give experience, and I think that may also be part of Ag's problem with it: it's not very good journalism, nor very good experience, to push articles that don't equally represent both sides of a story. Why fund it if it's being led in the wrong direction, anyway?

Not that I support that conclusion, but I can understand where it's coming from.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Something that always frustrated me when I was a journalism student was that all of these other colleges had their own publications/communications teams to focus their content to their students. While that totally makes sense (know your audience) it just seemed to isolate those programs from the greater university and makes issues like this much more prevalent. The journalism program wasn't really much better and a majority of stories were originally based off of press releases taken off the ISU web site. The students would then follow up with that particular professor/program for a more detailed article that would be published in the Daily.

If it were up to me, the university would leverage the journalism students to work on those departmental-focused publications as well as campus-wide communications. It would give the journalism students a real-world experience developing content for a medium that isn't just a newspaper - I would be interested to see how many students actually write for a newspaper after graduation, yet we all were required at one point to submit articles for the daily.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I never see anyone reading it in paper version. I read it fairly regularly on my phone though. I do think it is a good thing to help the journalism department but do we need to print it out every day?

Very, very rarely do I see kids reading the paper version. I don't doubt that the online version gets some hits, though, I've done that myself many times.

The Daily does give experience, and I think that may also be part of Ag's problem with it: it's not very good journalism, nor very good experience, to push articles that don't equally represent both sides of a story. Why fund it if it's being led in the wrong direction, anyway?

Not that I support that conclusion, but I can understand where it's coming from.

At this point in time, I'm only ever near the journalism dept when visiting, so it sounds like my sample population is likely skewed!

I do agree that the end goal is fair, unbiased journalism. I don't think that is the Ag's problem with it, though. I think that it is painting their particular practices in a bad light. I don't think they would likely have this big of a deal or a petition if the Daily were skewering the business college.

I get it, nobody likes to have their entire chosen career painted as awful and corrupt. I'm sure the Daily writers feel like they're making hard-hitting exposes, however. It's a struggle of, "Whose career path is ultimately going to be held as more important here?" Do you stop the Ag exposes at the potential loss of experience in journalistic digging and research, or do you allow them to continue at the expense of a black eye to the Ag dept?

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
Don't "journalists" love to piss people off? Kind of like Stanford band when they got the Hawk overreaction? Daily staff probably sees this as victory.

Do they still have sweet coupons in it? That alone would pay the $3.89 fee.

Not all journalists like to piss people off or at least I don't. I actually take it more personally when one person is saying something bad even if 20 others are saying good things.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
$3.89 doesn't sound like much, but it's $3.89 more than I would like to pay for the Daily.

What's crazy is how no one ever takes the damn thing anyway. Stop printing so much.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

WhatchaGonnaDo

Jun 28, 2011
Always have to laugh when people get frazzled about an opinion article.

It's an opinion, not a fact.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron