Auditor: Iowa State University director diverted, pocketed $324,816

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I'm not sure your point. I was sympathetic because the news made it sound like it involved disagreement on what his job required and he could do privately. This seems to show he also was doing other stuff such as overpaying vacation and stuff.

Before you feel too much sympathy for him, remember that he stole more than a quarter million dollars from the taxpayers of Iowa through intentional obfuscation of what he was doing.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
And this might not be the best policy to have in place-

The audit found the university and the center involved in this case “do not attempt to verify the information provided by the employees is complete or accurate. They, instead, rely on an employee’s ethics to properly disclose all potential conflicts.
Maybe not but I imagine it would take a very significant amount of time and money to try to investigate every employee for potential conflicts they're not disclosing. In this case the University screwed up because they noticed the potential for conflict and it appears that they didn't follow up with it.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Before you feel too much sympathy for him, remember that he stole more than a quarter million dollars from the taxpayers of Iowa through intentional obfuscation of what he was doing.
On the news this morning I felt sympathetic because they made it seem like it was an issue of was he doing the same job as a private company. Seems like he is just a bad person though

That's what I said. The news made feel sympathetic but they didn't tell the whole story. Seeing he most likely was purposefully doing this I don't.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
The staff at CALT appeared to have been aware of what he was doing when it came to padding travel expenses and using CALT materials in the presentations he gave for the benefit of his personal business. Surprised they didn't whistle-blow

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
This is a pretty extreme case, but I hear a lot of stories of attempts by faculty to ram through personal expenses that range from legal but highly inefficient use of tax dollars to straight up fraud. Part of the problem is that when things like this are caught internally by ISU auditors or departments, they push back and it ends there. If someone even attempts to get reimbursement from a personal expense they are committing fraud and should be busted.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
And this might not be the best policy to have in place-

The audit found the university and the center involved in this case “do not attempt to verify the information provided by the employees is complete or accurate. They, instead, rely on an employee’s ethics to properly disclose all potential conflicts.

Pretty bold move to go with the "smile if you're lying" approach I use with my kids...

Reactions: ECIRT.KCAJ and CRCy

CRCy

Sep 13, 2016
Maybe not but I imagine it would take a very significant amount of time and money to try to investigate every employee for potential conflicts they're not disclosing. In this case the University screwed up because they noticed the potential for conflict and it appears that they didn't follow up with it.

HE DISCLOSED IT!!!!

Not to mention that is the accountant, his boss, and the university's job to make sure that taxpayer's $ is lining the pockets of someone taking advantage of their position. At the very least there seemed to be plenty of red flags that should have been investigated immediately. Like maybe why was he spending so much on these "conferences" at expensive resorts that had very few attendees?

Sorry but they don't get a pass when the guy clearly was making some pretty obvious mistakes with the number of people that seemed to know about it.

H

HGPuck

I've worked closely with a couple people that know Roger well on a professional basis. I was told 4 or 5 years ago that he had a strained relationship with the University and that he had moved part of the center out to the research park and that the center was self funding (through revenue from seminars) its office space and some or all of its staff. I was at one of the seminars in central Iowa around that time period to make contract with someone attending and the seminar was very well attended.

I have no first hand knowledge of what the situation was like specifically, but feel confident in saying it was complex and that there are a wide range of outcomes from this that would not surprise me as it continues to be investigated.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
HE DISCLOSED IT!!!!

Not to mention that is the accountant, his boss, and the university's job to make sure that taxpayer's $ is lining the pockets of someone taking advantage of their position. At the very least there seemed to be plenty of red flags that should have been investigated immediately. Like maybe why was he spending so much on these "conferences" at expensive resorts that had very few attendees?

Sorry but they don't get a pass when the guy clearly was making some pretty obvious mistakes with the number of people that seemed to know about it.
The report said his disclosure was vague enough that there was some question as to whether his private business and his job at ISU were involved in the same business. ISU was supposed to follow up on it and they never did.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron