All Iowa/Iowa State team

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
At the risk of being ridiculed is anyone interested in discussing the game? One of my favorite activities on game week is to look at the different areas and see where the advantage lies. Obviously I know more about the Hawks so be gentle on me.

QB. Maybe close before this week, but have to go with CJ. The statistics are close but Beathard is a winner.
RB. I'd go with Warren as number one, but Iowa has more proven depth. The homer in me says push.
WR. Obviously Lazard number one. If we are taking three you have to include Vandeberg. Daley is probably the third WR.
TE. Kittle didn't show much against Miami but has great talent. Can't say much on ISU here
OL. Rating as a unit, you have to give Iowa the edge. Certainly at both guards and center. From an Iowa perspective the tackles are serviceable but just that. I don't think there is anyone at ISU who would start at Iowa, at least until Campos is healthy.
DL. Tucker has to start. Jaleel Johnson has to start. If he's healthy Hesse is very productive.
LB. Josey Jewel and Ben Nieman for sure. Bo Bowers is the current Iowa whipping boy but I'm not sure anyone on ISU is better.
DB. The best debate is here. Desmond King starts. Cotton-Moyà starts. I don't know enough to say more than that.

I would give the kicking game edge to the ISU kickers, if for no other reason experience. King does a great job in the kicking game.

What do you think?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
At the risk of being ridiculed is anyone interested in discussing the game? One of my favorite activities on game week is to look at the different areas and see where the advantage lies. Obviously I know more about the Hawks so be gentle on me.

QB. Maybe close before this week, but have to go with CJ. The statistics are close but Beathard is a winner.
RB. I'd go with Warren as number one, but Iowa has more proven depth. The homer in me says push.
WR. Obviously Lazard number one. If we are taking three you have to include Vandeberg. Daley is probably the third WR.
TE. Kittle didn't show much against Miami but has great talent. Can't say much on ISU here
OL. Rating as a unit, you have to give Iowa the edge. Certainly at both guards and center. From an Iowa perspective the tackles are serviceable but just that. I don't think there is anyone at ISU who would start at Iowa, at least until Campos is healthy.
DL. Tucker has to start. Jaleel Johnson has to start. If he's healthy Hesse is very productive.
LB. Josey Jewel and Ben Nieman for sure. Bo Bowers is the current Iowa whipping boy but I'm not sure anyone on ISU is better.
DB. The best debate is here. Desmond King starts. Cotton-Moyà starts. I don't know enough to say more than that.

I would give the kicking game edge to the ISU kickers, if for no other reason experience. King does a great job in the kicking game.

What do you think?

Where do you get the idea that the QB position was close before this week? Beathard is a lot better.

I'm not so sure Warren starts at Iowa either? I think he could, but it's closer than a lot of ISU fans would think.

I think starting corners of Desmond King and Brian Peavy would be awfully salty. Tucker would start too IMO.

Reactions: CyFanInChiLand

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Most here will call me a homer (and I probably am), but I would rather have Wadley than Warren. When factoring in the depth Iowa has at RB, that position tilts in Iowa's favor, too.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Most here will call me a homer (and I probably am), but I would rather have Wadley than Warren. When factoring in the depth Iowa has at RB, that position tilts in Iowa's favor, too.

Wadley is a junior and has 803 career rushing yards. Warren had 1339 rushing yards his freshman year. Warren is definitely the best RB in the state and it's not debatable.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO and cyIclSoneU

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010

Haven't seen Warren this year, but he looked pretty salty last year. I don't think Wadley has done as much. Maybe that's because Iowa has used more running backs than ISU has.

AltHawk

Sep 2, 2012
Wadley is a junior and has 803 career rushing yards. Warren had 1339 rushing yards his freshman year. Warren is definitely the best RB in the state and it's not debatable.

Not too difficult to rack up a ton of yardage when you're the only FBS caliber back on your team and you play in the defense optional Big Twelve. Warren obviously has a better resume but Wadley is more talented.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not too difficult to rack up a ton of yardage when you're the only FBS caliber back on your team and you play in the defense optional Big Twelve. Warren obviously has a better resume but Wadley is more talented.

Iowa State had a worse OL and played a much tougher schedule last year than Iowa. If you think Iowa has a RB more talented than Warren you are absolutely clueless or you're trolling

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Iowa State had a worse OL and played a much tougher schedule last year than Iowa. If you think Iowa has a RB more talented than Warren you are absolutely clueless or you're trolling

I agree that Warren is probably tops out of those three but not by much. Big part of talent is hanging on the the ball. Warren has been directly responsible for two big ISU losses because he's fumbled the ball in crunch time.

• Agree
Reactions: The_Gent

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010

Not to hijack the thread, but, Iowa faced better defenses than ISU. Granted, Warren has shown more, but both Iowa's backs are very talented. Warren is number 1, but the two Iowa backs are right behind him. All in all, I would rather have the one/two punch of Iowa than the one proven back of ISU. Hence the push in the original post.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I agree that Warren is probably tops out of those three but not by much. Big part of talent is hanging on the the ball. Warren has been directly responsible for two big ISU losses because he's fumbled the ball in crunch time.

How many more career fumbles does Warren have than Wadley?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
No idea. But if the game's on the line, not real sure I'd want the ball in Warren's hands.

I'd rather have it in his hands than Wadley's. I'd be surprised if Wadley doesn't have more career fumbles than Warren but I could be wrong. Daniels is a decent RB but if Wadley was even close to as good as Warren he'd be the main guy

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Not to hijack the thread, but, Iowa faced better defenses than ISU. Granted, Warren has shown more, but both Iowa's backs are very talented. Warren is number 1, but the two Iowa backs are right behind him. All in all, I would rather have the one/two punch of Iowa than the one proven back of ISU. Hence the push in the original post.

No they didn't