Fighting Camera Tickets?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
So I got a "ticket" in the mail from the city of Cedar Rapids (only there for work...hate Cedar Rapids) for $75. Had several people tell me not to pay it and that they can't make somebody pay the fine since they can't prove you are the actual driver.

Curious if anyone else has any experience fighting these tickets or simply not paying them?

As a side note: I don't speed. In the picture I'm crossing the center line, and obviously passing someone to then get in the slow lane. They have me at 67 in a 55. So really the ticket is pretty shady since I'm more than likely speeding up a little to pass someone to let traffic through...anyway..

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So I got a "ticket" in the mail from the city of Cedar Rapids (only there for work...hate Cedar Rapids) for $75. Had several people tell me not to pay it and that they can't make somebody pay the fine since they can't prove you are the actual driver.

Curious if anyone else has any experience fighting these tickets or simply not paying them?

As a side note: I don't speed. In the picture I'm crossing the center line, and obviously passing someone to then get in the slow lane. They have me at 67 in a 55. So really the ticket is pretty shady since I'm more than likely speeding up a little to pass someone to let traffic through...anyway..

Wait. You don't speed, but were going 67 in a 55? Even when passing someone that speed limit is enforceable.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World

So claims everyone who has ever gotten a speeding ticket.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Pay the ticket, you were at least 12 over the limit. It's your own fault if you ignored the "photo enforced" signs.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Your best bet is to challenge the validity of the cameras. The Iowa DOT has ordered CR to move them, but it is still hung up in courts. Chance of this being successful, 0.1%

• Agree
Reactions: Clone2Dbone

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
just shred them. I have got a number of them over the years in CR, i have never had a problem renewing my license or plates. I just bought a new home, they didn't show up on my credit report.

If everyone would stop paying them, they would take the cameras down.

• Useful
Reactions: Cycsk

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
I believe the "guessimation" actually going around is it doesn't go on your driving record (thus not effecting your insurance) since they can not prove it is actually you. But camera tickets get charged to the owner of the vehicle (per license plates) since the vehicle itself is what spurred the violation.

That and anytime someone gives you advice about not paying a ticket or fine because "you don't really need to" usually will result in a few likes and earned medals to your response in one of Angie's Friday OT's titled "worse advice you've ever received" threads.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If you have one ticket, you'll be fine. Speed camera tickets are civil, not criminal, and won't affect your license. They used to affect your credit rating, but they do not anymore.

What will happen is the city of Cedar Rapids will turn you over to a collection agency. The agency will attempt to contact you and get you to pay in a very annoying fashion for a period of time. If you don't pay, it'll be over. Cedar Rapids could theoretically sue you for the money, but the
Mayor has already said they won't do that over $75.

So either you pay and it's done or you don't and you'll basically be harassed by a collections agency for a while. That's your decision.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
To clarify. Yes, you're allowed to legally exceed the posted speed limit on a 2-lane roadway to safely move back into the correct direction of flow traffic lane. I don't believe you're legally allowed to exceed the speed limit on 4-lane limited access roadways to overtake.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or law enforcement officer nor have I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I speed in places where I think I'm less likely to get caught, but if I get a ticket I'd just pay it.
See there is a big difference between being legitimately caught speeding and the speed cameras. I don't know if there are multiple in that stretch or what not but the one in Cedar Rapids is especially bad as the DOT has told them to move it.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Some of you need to get off your ******* high horse. Don't for one second tell me there hasn't been a time where you've lost track of your speed and notice you were a bit over than you should have been. Should the OP have realized that it would not be the best decision to pass in a zone regulated by speed cameras? Yes. But christ its a mistake.

As for the question, I've had a friend get at least 5 of these and not pay one. He has yet to have any problems renewing registration or it affecting his credit negatively. Again not the smartest thing to do, but if its just one I think you'd be okay to dismiss it.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Some of you need to get off your ******* high horse. Don't for one second tell me there hasn't been a time where you've lost track of your speed and notice you were a bit over than you should have been. Should the OP have realized that it would not be the best decision to pass in a zone regulated by speed cameras? Yes. But christ its a mistake.

As for the question, I've had a friend get at least 5 of these and not pay one. He has yet to have any problems renewing registration or it affecting his credit negatively. Again not the smartest thing to do, but if its just one I think you'd be okay to dismiss it.

IMO the posts that you consider "high horse" are in response to an OP that takes no personal responsibility for his actions. He doesn't speed and was just trying to get out of the way... going 12 over in a 55. If he had owned up to speeding and making a mistake before asking the question then I assume the responses would be different here.