Lumpy's vs. Lost and Found

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Which was better?

• Lumpy's

Votes: 71 66.4%
  • Lost and Found

Votes: 36 33.6%

• Total voters

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Beamers/Foul Play was a good combo (upstairs/downstairs) west of the Kum & Go back in the day (late 80s-). Our hangout was Thumbs Up where the Subway now sits. Lots of 2 for 1 GTs on Thursdays. When it closed some people brought a bong into the basement. The 80s were fun.

We had great times at the Lost & Found. Its longevity should give it some add'l votes. Lumpy's came on board just as the riots happened. If I'm not mistaken the owner had a 100 keg party the cops tried to stop.. bad decision Ames PD.

The Ames PD to me is responsible for the messes at VEISHEA. As a RAGBRAIer, I bet the Iowa State Patrol would do a better job of handling a big crowd. Breaking up parties and creating a mass of p!ssed of drunks was a recipe....

Not many alumni options to attend now aside from fball/bball games but those are not the same. The whole deal got railroaded by our current Prez. I like his support for our teams but not "his" decision for our school wide celebration. I heard we may have a pie festival or something like that, smh.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lumpy's. For the millionth time, how is this a debate?

I mean L&F was a cool spot, but it had infrequent hours and could be real hit or miss. Lumpy's was always entertaining.

The filth was part of the appeal. If your response to Lumpy's was "it was disgusting" and you mean it pejoratively, you don't get it, and quite simply it wasn't the bar for you.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
On of my favorite outings at Lumpy's was when the back room, which had a floor a couple inches lower than the main floor, had an inch of water in it that came from a leak in People's above. 99% of bars would have closed, they just put police tape across the entrance to the back room and kept on pouring.

Reactions: skibumspe

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Lumpy's. For the millionth time, how is this a debate?

I mean L&F was a cool spot, but it had infrequent hours and could be real hit or miss. Lumpy's was always entertaining.

The filth was part of the appeal. If your response to Lumpy's was "it was disgusting" and you mean it pejoratively, you don't get it, and quite simply it wasn't the bar for you.

Luckily I didn't get what the rest of you got from it. :laugh:

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Lumpy's Friday nights. Quarter draws, perfect place to play century club to get the night started.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
We just preferred to **** under the tables on the floor, nobody ever knew or cared

True, although I can comfirm at least one occasion where one of our buddies got busted peeing on the back wall and was made told to "make love to the wall, pervert" by the bouncer. That was very entertaining for the rest of our group.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
For those you never went to Lumpys, the name is very descriptive of it. Not by the Webster's definition per se, but just kinda 'fit.' :twitcy:

Lost and found doesn't ring a bell with me. I was 21 at ISU in 2003-2005 times.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I picked L&F. When I was in school, they were two totally different bars. Lost and Found was more of a chill bar (before they ruined it and Cy's IMO) while Lumpy's was the dive bar of all dive bars. That place was a crap hole and no one had a problem with it. Tough call...I loved them both.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
I remember early 90's L&F had "look like a lady night." (Iowa had outlawed lady's night or something). Several guys from the rugby team showed up in mini skirts and no underwear to take advantage of the cheap/free drinks. It went downhill from there.

Reactions: pulse

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
For those you never went to Lumpys, the name is very descriptive of it. Not by the Webster's definition per se, but just kinda 'fit.' :twitcy:

Lost and found doesn't ring a bell with me. I was 21 at ISU in 2003-2005 times.

The upstairs of Cy's Roost. It had weird hours back then.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Anywhere for two fers Tuesday.
$2 Captains at Diamond Dave's on Wed.
Thursdays at the Fox II Lounge for 3 pitchers for $6, or Thumbs for 75c gin and tonics.
Fridays Mickeys FAC, Lumpys.
Saturday was always a crap shoot.

CEO

Nov 27, 2009
Des Moines
True, although I can comfirm at least one occasion where one of our buddies got busted peeing on the back wall and was made told to "make love to the wall, pervert" by the bouncer. That was very entertaining for the rest of our group.

That Joust machine was never the same....