Okoboji family recommendations?

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...2-Reviews-O_Farrell_Sisters-Okoboji_Iowa.html
Go here for breakfast at least once. Delicious.
We almost lucked into buying a mobile home directly on the water last year, last second kinda thing that our friends brought to our attention, but was sold underneath us. Would've been super cheap compared to actual homes there and was a nice one. Oh well.

My parents have a trailer up on West in Millers Bay (21st year of ownership for us) with lake access and a slip on the water. Okoboji Yacht Club, best kept secret in 'Boji IMO. Cheaper way to enjoy Okoboji (Trailers go for around 70k but have to rent the land each year). If your looking for a place, I would check this spot out.

MSPClone210

Jul 8, 2013
Minneapolis
Nutty Bar stand is also a okoboji staple.. kids go crazy for it.

Central Emporium has all your local shopping (candy store for the kids)

Taco House for sure

Parasailing - Right in Arnolds Park (can also rent boats, paddle boards, and wave runners here)

If you dont rent a boat - Queen ride or Barefoot Boat tour @ Okoboji Boat Works

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Thank you all. Is it wrong that the three main things I'm looking forward to now are doughnuts, tacos, and nutty bars?
We won't have a boat and I probably won't rent one this time around. Looks like we will have plenty to keep us busy. We are going right before the official season kicks off so prices are still a little low as not everything is open yet but I'm hoping the crowds won't be quite as huge yet.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Thank you all. Is it wrong that the three main things I'm looking forward to now are doughnuts, tacos, and nutty bars?
We won't have a boat and I probably won't rent one this time around. Looks like we will have plenty to keep us busy. We are going right before the official season kicks off so prices are still a little low as not everything is open yet but I'm hoping the crowds won't be quite as huge yet.

Nothing wrong with those 3 at all. In fact, those are the 3 staples of every single one of my Boji trips. If I get nothing else, I'm a happy man. I'll actually be there this weekend. As for the lines, I haven't been there this early in a while, so I'm not sure when crowds really ramp up. Regardless, even if there is lines at these places, they aren't horrible. Maybe wait 15 minutes at most or something.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
My parents have a trailer up on West in Millers Bay (21st year of ownership for us) with lake access and a slip on the water. Okoboji Yacht Club, best kept secret in 'Boji IMO. Cheaper way to enjoy Okoboji (Trailers go for around 70k but have to rent the land each year). If your looking for a place, I would check this spot out.
Thanks. I'll check it out. Seems places sell before they're even listed up there.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
Thanks. I'll check it out. Seems places sell before they're even listed up there.

With these trailers, most are for sale by owner and often aren't listed by a realtor(might try craigslist or just making a trip up there and look around). When I was a kid we were out looking for places (not really seriously looking), got lost, and ended up finding this area and a little For Sale sign in the window. Couldn't pass it up and have enjoyed it every year since.

Long story short, its a great place to go and visit with family.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012

If you like it enough to go back, especially with your kids at a younger age, I would recommend booking through Fillenwarth Beach. They are right at Arnolds Park, on the lake, and provide A LOT of kid friendly events. They'll take you out and teach water skiing, sail boats, nightly boat rides around the lake, you can use their paddle boats, canoes, they have other cruises as well.

They may be a little pricier, but when you consider your room has a full kitchen (so you dont have to eat out all the time) in it and the amenities and entertainment they provide, you will see why their name has popped up several times through out this and why they are so popular. Excellent family atmosphere.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
If you like it enough to go back, especially with your kids at a younger age, I would recommend booking through Fillenwarth Beach. They are right at Arnolds Park, on the lake, and provide A LOT of kid friendly events. They'll take you out and teach water skiing, sail boats, nightly boat rides around the lake, you can use their paddle boats, canoes, they have other cruises as well.

They may be a little pricier, but when you consider your room has a full kitchen (so you dont have to eat out all the time) in it and the amenities and entertainment they provide, you will see why their name has popped up several times through out this and why they are so popular. Excellent family atmosphere.

Thanks. We booked at Trigg's this time. I booked late and their wasn't much left open but figured this trip we could look around and see if there were any other places we would rather stay in the future.