Engineering?

rahtotheames

Aug 3, 2006
Anybody here do any kinds of engineering? I'm pretty interested in electrical right now and I'm considering it as I enter my last year of high school. I think I've narrowed it down to iowa state and illinois just cause they are close to home and have good engineering programs. Is there really a big difference between the two that would necessitate me paying the extra money?

Anyways just trying to get a feel about electrical engineering or just engineering in general before I make up my mind and dive into it.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
I started in Mechanical Engineering, graduated in Industrial Engineering, and work as a Civil/Construction Engineer. Unless you want to be really specialized in something, you can pretty much do anything you want with an engineering degree. And if you're unsure or start to change your mind, it doesn't hurt too much to switch, especially after your first year because most of the intro classes are the same anyways.

Iowa State is better than Illinois for many reasons, too many to list here. Actually, I know nothing about Illinois' engineering program, but come on... go to ISU!

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Engineers? There might be a few of us on here...

I can't help you much with regards to EE. I'm a CE so that electrical stuff is all witchcraft and sorcery as far as I know. If you don't know for sure what type of engineering you want to go into, don't worry. Most of your first and second years of classes are pretty much the same across most of the disciplines. If you don't want to commit to a program, you can come in (at least at Iowa State) as Engineering Undecided. I came in that way and for me it was the right choice. You go to a bunch of different open houses hosted by the departments and they give you a better feel for what their particular area does.

Good luck with your decision whichever way you choose.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I've had a engineering degree for 5 years now and i STILL haven't got to drive a train:skeptical:

Getting an EE degree (for me) was kind of like ramming my head into a wall for five years then ... wah-lah! the wall fell down - good times.

I switched majors 5 times in my three and a half freshman semesters and got that nasty little letter from the Unversity telling me I'd better get a 2.0 or they're done with me. But persistance is the key, oh and attending class and studying (if you want to get technical).

Also, if you end up going for EE ... tell the ladies at the parties that you're a El Ed major if you inadvertantly tell them you're a "double E". and say things like "yeah, I love kids" trust me, the word "engineer" is the devil. (of course this strategy is totally the opposite once you get out of school - but that's a lesson for another day)

there. that didn't help you at all.:smile:

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
If you are talking about the University of Illinois (in urbana-champaign) - it looks like a good university and I've heard good things about it. After getting my BS and MS in Ag Eng. at ISU, I'll say they have a good engineering program with the normal gripes that any college student has. Stay away from some of the smaller engineering degrees - much harder to find a job afterwards. EE, ChE, ME, ComE, and CE should all be good bets.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I looked at both as well. In the end I found no reason to pay extra to go out of state. either is going to get you where you want to go probably. I'm an electrical engineer, well not really. I have a degree in electrical engineering, but I went to law school and am a lawyer and a vice president of HR. (it's a long story). Any type of engineering will serve you well in whatever you want to do except maybe industrial engineering which is just fake engineering. j/k.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
FWIW I had a roommate that went to Illinois for a year and then switched to Iowa State. He was from Illinois so he must've wanted to change badly enough to pay out of state tuition at ISU.

Go to ISU!

oskyclone

Apr 13, 2006
Altoona
Also, if you end up going for EE ... tell the ladies at the parties that you're a El Ed major if you inadvertantly tell them you're a "double E". and say things like "yeah, I love kids" trust me, the word "engineer" is the devil. (of course this strategy is totally the opposite once you get out of school - but that's a lesson for another day)

there. that didn't help you at all.:smile:

THis is what I do when I meet some "smart" engineer...I am double E...then they are impressed and ask me some question about some stupid class i should have taken.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Any type of engineering will serve you well in whatever you want to do except maybe industrial engineering which is just fake engineering. j/k.

IE stands for "Imaginary Engineering" right ?:biggrin:

of course you can't spell "geek" without double E!

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Anybody here do any kinds of engineering? I'm pretty interested in electrical right now and I'm considering it as I enter my last year of high school. I think I've narrowed it down to iowa state and illinois just cause they are close to home and have good engineering programs. Is there really a big difference between the two that would necessitate me paying the extra money?

Anyways just trying to get a feel about electrical engineering or just engineering in general before I make up my mind and dive into it.

I graduated from ISU with my EE degree and know some people that went to Illinois. There is a little bit more competition to get into the program at Illinois than at Iowa State as they turn people away (but that is mostly in-staters). Being out of state may be a different story for all I know. ISU's EE program is better known for certain disciplines than Illinois', but overall if you told an employer that you had an engineering degree from Illinois, it would be held in higher regards than one from ISU as it is more prestigious nationally. Regionally, it probably doesn't matter. All things considered, go to ISU. You won't regret it.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
I'm attending ISU this fall and am having trouble deciding between Aerospace and Civil. Any info anyone could give me who's gone through these majors?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I'm a structural engineer. I work at an office doing building and structure design. I got my degree in Civil/Construction. Civil/Construction can go literally 100s of ways. I even had people from businesses tell me they'd take an engineer anyday.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I'll be a sophomore in computer engineering at ISU. it's hard but rewarding when you do well. My brother was an Electrical Engineering major and he had no problem finding a job

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Engineers? There might be a few of us on here...

I can't help you much with regards to EE. I'm a CE so that electrical stuff is all witchcraft and sorcery as far as I know.

The crazy part is that in Electromagnetics (EE 346?) you find out it IS all witchcraft and sorcery!

EE 501: that **** is dangerous, hire out any work involving touching anything to the guy that went to a 2-year tech school.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
got that nasty little letter from the Unversity telling me I'd better get a 2.0 or they're done with me.
hey i got that letter too! hung it on the wall above my desk for my last 3 years. its amazing how motivating it is.

but for sure go to ISU man, the programs are similar enough that its not worth paying out of state tuition. plus, after being in the working world, it has become evident that any engineering degree is a good degree, despite the institution.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
hey i got that letter too! hung it on the wall above my desk for my last 3 years. its amazing how motivating it is.

but for sure go to ISU man, the programs are similar enough that its not worth paying out of state tuition. plus, after being in the working world, it has become evident that any engineering degree is a good degree, despite the institution.

Just don't have all your classes with Dinger.....

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I believe that according to the rankings, ISU has better EE, CompE and perhaps Aero and ChemE, while Illinois has a better regarded ME program. When it's all said and done, there are a lot of highly respected engineers from both institutions all over the country. Does Illinois have a NucE program? That has kinda died out across the country, and now nuclear power is about to come into a rennaisance - you could probably make a ton of money if you wanted to go into NucE, but I imagine it is one of the most difficult programs at any of the universities that offer it. Purdue and Michigan also have good engineering programs, and I've heard that Wisconsin's program is gaining stature. Okie State has probably the top Petroleum Engineering program in the country, if not the world.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I'm attending ISU this fall and am having trouble deciding between Aerospace and Civil. Any info anyone could give me who's gone through these majors?

Civil:
  • you will have a larger percentage of females in your class than Aerospace (and Elec and Computer)
  • you will probably intern at the DOT likely using a little clicker to count cars at some point and wondering aloud to yourself how they can pay you $13.50 an hour to do so.
  • you will graduate and get to be the guy with the "yellow hat" on the road crew
Aero:
  • more women than EE or CprE ... but that's not saying much
  • you will consider taking flight lessons at some point - you will try to talk yourself into thinking the $70 per flight hour is an "investment"
  • upon graduate you will try to get an interview at Boeing - all Aero E's work at Boeing. (not really, but this thought will flash through your head as you panic for a time after they deny you)

Last edited: