IPA and Pale Ale Discussion

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I'm going on a work trip, next week, to a part of the country in the Three Floyds distribution area. I plan on bringing home plenty of Zombie Dust.
It's usually tough to come by. Best of luck in your hunting though. Nerds like to cry and moan about how its overrated. I don't care, it's freaking delicious and I'd fill a Camelbak with it and walk around with it all day if I could.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am hopping to find a few of these for saturday.
attachment.php

I just finished a 4 pack, and it's worth it. Good stuff.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Good info. Thanks. The first time I had Zombie Dust, I was visiting Madison, WI and went to a little bottleshop looking for New Glarus stuff to bring home. The guy behind the counter was just insistent that everyone buy a 6pack of Zombie Dust. I mean, he was telling every single person who came to the register to go pick one up. I had never even heard of it before.

It certainly does depend on the area. It's definitely popular here in my area and have seen people line up to get it as soon as it hits the shelves. Most places here don't even have shelf space for it, they'll just stack it on the floor. Other places that are less densely populated may not have that issue. The good thing is with 3 Floyds in general is that their distribution in the area is growing by leaps and bounds. Used to be nothing was left on the shelf by Saturday, now, more of their "regular" selections can be found pretty much any day of the week.

I would suggest trying Space Station Middle Finger, Yum Yum and Permanent Funeral as well if they are available. I don't think they are on the level of ZD, but they are all solid selections and usually more readily available.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bells 2 Hearted is still my go to for solid hoppy beer. It's also Oberon season for those of you who like wheat.

DFH 60 min IPA is really good, but I haven't seen that in a while.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Since the topic is staring me right in the face....perhaps the beer connoisseurs on here can help me understand something. Why is it that I really enjoy a good pale ale, but have never tried a single IPA that I can tolerate the hoppiness of? There literally isn't one IPA I have ever truly like. I can rattle off a number of Pale Ale's that I like and I even a few six packs of them in the fridge.

The names sound so similar. What gives?

You're just not a hop guy. :shrug:

A lot of breweries blur the line between the two, but a Pale should be more balanced and sometimes lower IBU.

HyCyde

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2010
Waukee, IA
I would say that if you can get ahold of Surly Todd the Axe Man then go for that one. I live in New England and trade some great beers to get some of that for a change of pace. I prefer it over Pliny, but that's just a preference thing.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Why can't I get an IPA in India?

Seriously, Indian bartenders and liquor store operators have never even heard of an Indian Pale Ale!

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Why can't I get an IPA in India?

Seriously, Indian bartenders and liquor store operators have never even heard of an Indian Pale Ale!

You can thank the British Military, which has been responsible for two of the finest alcoholic consumables ever invented.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
IPAs - Really love Little Sumpin Sumpin, Stone, Boulevard Single Wide IPA and Boulevard The Calling IPA. Deschutes - Fresh Squeezed IPA, and White IPA are both good. For something a little different - Firestone Wookey Jack - it's a Black Rye IPA. OK, I really just like about all IPAs.

And all throw in a plug for Boulevard 80 -Acre. It's a "Hoppy Wheat Beer." Kind of a mixture of IPA and Wheat Beer.

Love the Lauginitas!

How about a recommendation.... I've always been an Amber guy (more malty perhaps?) - what is a step between a real hoppy IPA and my ambers?

HyCyde

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2010
Waukee, IA
Since the topic is staring me right in the face....perhaps the beer connoisseurs on here can help me understand something. Why is it that I really enjoy a good pale ale, but have never tried a single IPA that I can tolerate the hoppiness of? There literally isn't one IPA I have ever truly like. I can rattle off a number of Pale Ale's that I like and I even a few six packs of them in the fridge.

The names sound so similar. What gives?

I personally hated IPA's until I moved out east and had some from out here. They were just too bitter, but now I'm addicted. Some people just don't like that much hops though. I do really like Todd the Axe Man from Surly. So if you can get you hands on it, give it a try and see what you think.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Love the Lauginitas!

How about a recommendation.... I've always been an Amber guy (more malty perhaps?) - what is a step between a real hoppy IPA and my ambers?

You might be interested in a Double IPA? More of a combo of hoppy and amber. Some are just double hoppy, but they should be more malt balanced as well.

These are your Hopslam's, Surly Abrasive, Oskar Blues GUBNA. If you really like malty and hoppy, Great Divide Hercules is pretty damn good :yes:

Unless you mean you don't want the hop as much as an IPA . . . then stay away from what I said :twitcy:

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
Bells Two Hearted makes my face hole most happy.
Founders All Day IPA for a more easy drinking high volume affair.