The More Coaches fired..the better for ISU

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
When a coach is fired, signed athletes are released from their letters of intent. That means schools like Miami, Auburn etc are fertile ground for Iowa State to steal athletes and resign them. This happens all the time with fired coaches..and it means ours are also open for others to pick off. I see Iowa State making inroads quickly and picking up some pieces from others. Hey, opportunity knocks!

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
That shows the genius of Pollard in getting a coach hired fast...ahead of the curve. How many have been canned so far? And what schools? Anyone know.

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
Wow..some fertile ground for ISU
Alabama Mike Shula -- Story
Arizona State Dirk Koetter -- Story
Cincinnati Mark Dantonio -- Story Pat Narduzzi (interim) -- Story
Florida International Don Strock -- Story
Iowa State Dan McCarney -- Story Gene Chizik -- Story
Miami Larry Coker -- Story
Michigan State John L. Smith -- Story Mark Dantonio -- Story
North Carolina John Bunting -- Story Butch Davis -- Story
North Carolina State Chuck Amato -- Story
North Texas Darrell Dickey -- Story
Tulane Chris Scelfo -- Story

CHim

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
I think the school has to release them from their letter of intent. Remember Brands and his wrestlers from out in Virginia?

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I thought the signing period didn't begin until Jan. or Feb.? Technically all of these guys are verbals I think.

That being said, I don't want to steal anybody's recruits and I hope Chizik builds his team the right way.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Your correct Bryce they are all verbals and many like several of ISU's prior verbals will decide to look around. Signing day isn't until February.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
I think the school has to release them from their letter of intent. Remember Brands and his wrestlers from out in Virginia?

I believe there was quite some issues transpired by the way the Brands / Virginia Tech move happened. Since the athletes were already at VT for one year, and the top five recruits from the previous year followed to Iowa. IMO VT did not have to honor the waiver. I believe each wrestler will lose a year of elgibility.

Parents lost a court battle.

St8Grad

Mar 30, 2006
Nashville, TN
I am really anxious to see who Chizik can get before Feb. If he does as well as GMAC did with bball in the short time he had, we'll be sittin good.

But first & foremost... who will he choose for the O & D Coordinators? That's the BIG QUESTION!

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
If the kids have signed they are on the hook unless the school lets them out. The "olympic" sports have been very lenient on this over the years, and some conferences even have "rules" on that sort of thing. The Va Tech issue is that historically the olympic sports have let kids out of their commitment released them to play, and in that case allegedly the kids even asked "what if coach leaves" and allegedly VT said we'll let you out. As non revenue sport coaches feel the pressure to win more and more they are putting more and more restrictions on transfers like VA Tech did. Missouri recently ran into a VB issue I think where a kid was a fourth year senior and wasn't going to play much there and asked for a transfer. Allegedly Missouri limited their approval that would let her play immediately to a very limited number of schools, something like no Big 12's, no Big 10's, not school ranked in the top 25 the year before and no school that had made the NCAA Tourney in the last two years. They hadn't ever done that before. Before kids had been given unconditional releases. (This isn't meant to be facts about the specifics of the Mizzou situation, just my understanding generally)

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I am really anxious to see who Chizik can get before Feb. If he does as well as GMAC did with bball in the short time he had, we'll be sittin good.

But first & foremost... who will he choose for the O & D Coordinators? That's the BIG QUESTION!

I'm thinking Chizik may not hire a D coordinator. That way he would have more $$ to throw at a big name O coordinator.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
I'm thinking Chizik may not hire a D coordinator. That way he would have more $$ to throw at a big name O coordinator.

Not a chance. First of all, with the money he has for assistants, he can easily pay them well having both an OC and a DC. Second, he's going to run a football program like a CEO of a corporation (per Pollard). CEO's dont take on part of the duties on their own. They trust the people they hire and manage them.

Also, don't look for big name coaches. Look for good coaches:

"As I told Jamie and Dr. (Greg) Geoffroy, don't look for the flash, don't try to judge who we bring in by where they came from. Just trust me that I know what I'm looking for, and they're going to be really good football coaches, really good recruiters and really good for (ISU's players).

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Your correct Bryce they are all verbals and many like several of ISU's prior verbals will decide to look around. Signing day isn't until February.

Hey, check out the new kid in town. Steal them if they want to be stolen. The kid and his parents want to see their kids play. Come to ISU and play next year on defense or oline. Verbal is verbal and changes are made. Only signing is real. I did not see too much backing off by Dana Altman over Stinnet. Happens all the time. Look at the current coach of Indiana. 635 illegal calls later, he left Oklahoma.He just got caught.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I believe there was quite some issues transpired by the way the Brands / Virginia Tech move happened. Since the athletes were already at VT for one year, and the top five recruits from the previous year followed to Iowa. IMO VT did not have to honor the waiver. I believe each wrestler will lose a year of elgibility.

Parents lost a court battle.

Maybe some UT boys might transfer?

letsgostate

Nov 4, 2006
I know when Solich was fired at Nebraska, Seth Olson had committed to them and went to Iowa. He told me they had to let recruits go where then want after a coach leaves...probably doesnt matter if we're not to the signing deadline yet. Olson liked Iowa State better, but felt Iowa did better developing Off linemen. Maybe that will change now. I'm for going after any players we can and telling them the positives about isu.

seiowaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2006
Jester Park
If I recall way back in the day. Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison were both signed for Tim Floyd, but when he left for the Bulls they decided to go to Kansas. It'd be nice to pick up a few of those Miami recruits in the same kind of fashion.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
If I recall way back in the day. Kirk Hinrich and Nick Collison were both signed for Tim Floyd, but when he left for the Bulls they decided to go to Kansas. It'd be nice to pick up a few of those Miami recruits in the same kind of fashion.

Yep, that is usually how Roy Smith got his recruits. On the second bounce back then. Saw Tim Floyd signed a top five recruit recently. He has a nice touch on his recruiting pitch. Sly smile and sign on the dotted line. Too bad the pros do not listen to some of the coaches....

seiowaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2006
Jester Park
Yeah, I read that USC's recruiting class this year is ranked second in the nation currently behind K-States. He always could recruit the best of them.