Here's someone for The Chiz to contact

CysMyGuy

Nov 2, 2006
Southlake TX
Was listening to NFL network on Sat radio on the way to work this AM. They had former Cowboy Jim Jeffcoat on for an interview. He was coaching with the Cowboys, but wasn't retained when The Tuna took over. He is chomping at the bit to get back to coaching. The bonus to this you ask? His son is currently a frosh in Plano. 6'4" and 240 already. Runs a 4.8 40 and a 10.9 100. He started on the varsity as a frosh -- that's TX 5A ball folks. Kid is going to be a stud.

Aug 21, 2006
Des Moines
I hope we don't go the Huggy route and hire people to get a few recruits. If this Jeffcoat dude is qualified, then great. But it shouldn't be to get to his son.

CysMyGuy

Nov 2, 2006
Southlake TX
I hope we don't go the Huggy route and hire people to get a few recruits. If this Jeffcoat dude is qualified, then great. But it shouldn't be to get to his son.

I'm not suggesting we pull a Larry Brown and hire Ed "The Truck Driver" Manning. Jeffcoat was a ProBowl D-Lineman and has coached at the NFL level. More ties to the state of Texas and a name that everyone in Texas knows.

Just throwing out names for fun.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
Here is an interesting fact..."Jeffcoat has played for or coached with all six head coaches in Cowboys history."

http://www.dallascowboys.com/team_coach_jim_jeffcoat.cfm

He isn't with them anymore. Jeffcoat's coaching position was eliminated last year when the Cowboys switched to the 3-4. Jeffcoat has experience and would be a good person to look at as his character was also above reproach both with the Cowboys and the Bills.

In looking at Dallas, its current D-line coach, Kacy Rodgers, would also be an excellent person to look at as a possible D-Coordinator. He has both college and pro experience.

I wonder what ties Chiz may have to Dallas as his bio talks about how much time he spent at Tampa Bay practices when he was at UCF and more importantly, the fact that it was Troy Aikman's private jet that was used to transport him to Des Moines for his introduction on Monday.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
i would take todd dodge from southlake carroll in a heart beat. he has an outstanding son that is a qb and nate newton's boy is also a junior at southlake carroll. dodge runs the spread offense better than mike leach at texas tech. dodge would be one helluva offensive coordinator and one of the best recruiters you could find in texas. his team has lost 1 game in
about 60 wins.also i would vemture to say his coaching techniques would rival or be better than a lot of college teams. the spread offense is the offense that alot of college teams have gone to.i would also look at larry smith headcoach at smithson valley near san antonio.smith is a defensive genius on the defensive side of the ball he would make a good coach for defensive linemen,lbs ,or dbs.southlake caroll and smithson valley are always the teams that progress to the 5a semifinals or to the championship playoffs in the texas 5a division.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
i would take todd dodge from southlake carroll in a heart beat. he has an outstanding son that is a qb and nate newton's boy is also a junior at southlake carroll. dodge runs the spread offense better than mike leach at texas tech. dodge would be one helluva offensive coordinator and one of the best recruiters you could find in texas. his team has lost 1 game in
about 60 wins.also i would vemture to say his coaching techniques would rival or be better than a lot of college teams. the spread offense is the offense that alot of college teams have gone to.i would also look at larry smith headcoach at smithson valley near san antonio.smith is a defensive genius on the defensive side of the ball he would make a good coach for defensive linemen,lbs ,or dbs.southlake caroll and smithson valley are always the teams that progress to the 5a semifinals or to the championship playoffs in the texas 5a division.

While I don't doubt Dodge's abilities to coach, I would hope Chizik would pursue assistants with college coaching experience. Hiring high school coaches to be your coordinators would be a HUGE gamble...

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
While I don't doubt Dodge's abilities to coach, I would hope Chizik would pursue assistants with college coaching experience. Hiring high school coaches to be your coordinators would be a HUGE gamble...

Houston Nutt at Arkansas hired a high school guy as his OC this season and it's worked out great for them! I don't care who Chizik hires so long as they're good coaches and good people!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Cowboys fan here and I always loved Jeffcoat - the player and the coach.

IMO, he'd be a good catch for his experience and abilities.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Keep in mind the youth which are very successful coaches inthe ranks at USC. Creative, energetic and willing to take risks. ISU has had their full of conservative.

Nedrick

Mar 21, 2006
Carroll, IA
www.jdesignllc.com
Houston Nutt at Arkansas hired a high school guy as his OC this season and it's worked out great for them! I don't care who Chizik hires so long as they're good coaches and good people!

I did see that on another post. Like Chizik said, he wants to make sure the assts. he hires will be good long-term. I doubt he's not going to jeopardize his own job by gambling on high school coaches. But I agree with what you said about hiring good coaches/people... Like we did with JP, we need to trust that Chizik (who has a lot more experience coaching that any of us) will make sound hiring decisions.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
some high school coaches have made damn good head coaches. look at art briles and what he has done at houston.he was a former high school coach. dodge could go direct from south lake carroll to a major college job- he may get that opportunity at north texas stateat denton-they are looking at dodge for the head coaching slot.some these texas high school coaches would make good college assistants. look at many of the texas high schools and you will find that they have coaching staffs of 8 to 12 coaches.your big schools in texas have fairly large coaching staffs.
it is rumored that missouri will be after todd dodge as a hire on pinkelwurst's staff just to get his boy to come to missouri to play quarterback after his boy finishes his senior year. dodge's boy is only 5-11,but his kid
can read defense and can throw the football.has good arm strengthand can throw the ball 70 yards. also has that winning swagger and confidence and has not lost a game in his career thru jr high.jr varsity and
so far at the high schoool level. southlake carroll also has a decent running back that is nate newton's son. chris ash finally contacted young newton. i hope chizik keeps ash on for recruiting. i thought ash had some pretty good athletes lined up for the coming year. newton is a 2008 recruit and he is one of the best blockers i have ever seen in the high school ranks and he is a very good running back-well over a 1000 yards this year and i
think was close to a 1000 his soph year.
-30-

CysMyGuy

Nov 2, 2006
Southlake TX
To put this in perspective for some here, Southlake Carroll High School had better facilities than ISU until the completion of the new indoor facility. The Dragons have had an indoor facility for about 8 years. In fact, the Dallas Cowboys rented it on occasion until completion of their own. If you have seen the recent Under Armour "Click Clack" commercials that are filmed on a football field -- that is the Carroll field. Football is year-round in Texas and kids from all over the state pay to come to Todd Dodge's camp. There isn't a team in Iowa or Nebraska that Southlake couldn't hang 50 on. I know we see a good brand of football in Des Moines and Omaha, but let me tell you gang - Texas 5A is like nothing you've ever seen. State finals in December - off-season workouts start in January. It's something to behold.

Plus - Woodie, you might be selling Tre' Newton short -- I'm not so sure he couldn't start for ISU right now. Speed - hands - football IQ. He's a player. There are a couple WR that are juniors this year that we should be looking at as well.

isuarch80

Sep 25, 2006
Dallas, TX
CysMy & Woodie, you guys are both dead on... which is why I think we're all so enthusiastic about Chizik, because even if he didn't get these great TX coaches to come to ISU to be assts, he has the image/profile at these big 5A schools that will get him in the door automatically. The Longhorns/Aggies/Red Raiders all get HUGE exposure and all of those kids will know that Chizik is in the Big XII and can get the ones not going to the Texas schools to come to ISU and show what they're capable of.

SLCarroll's field and amenities are wonderful, and the quality of players is never short...being a sports architect, living in Texas and seeing the stadiums that go up and the buildings they provide is both a huge shock and a site to be seen. I love some of the Friday nights i go home in the fall and hear the crowd 5 miles away...you don't get that anywhere else.

Help Support Us

Become a patron