Popeye's Chicken in Cedar Rapids... keepin it real. (NSFW)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
When someone else is making your food, you're always accepting some risk.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Well ****.... we at there last night for the first time ever .... and ever at a Popeyes.... it'll be our last, and to be honest that was before this thread. it scored a 4/10 for me.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
The one on Blairsferry is not that great either.

We think most of the food is pretty good for fast food but I stopped there one night to pick up dinner and had to wait 20 minutes after ordering. No reason why just "pull forward and we will bring it out" when I was the only one in line and no one that I could tell inside. We have not been back.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Who videos a drive-thru order?

Someone with an agenda?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
can someone explain what this shows?

That they drop food on the floor and still serve it. Ya know health code violation stuff.

Who videos a drive-thru order?

Someone with an agenda?

The way I interpreted it was that they pulled up to order but they were either closed or the drive thru guy was not paying attention and had a hot mic. They listened for a minute heard what was being said and taped the rest.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
Didn't they just finish that location couple weeks ago?

Don't have many expectations for fast food or fast food workers, but would think they should know 1) they were broadcasting to the drive-thru and 2) that they had a car there.
I think my fast food kicks will still get fixed at Freddys. Nothing better than a crappy chesseburger and a shake.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
No plans to watch this vid for same reasons I purposefully don’t pay attention to what is going on back in the kitchen at any fast food restaurant I go into.

If I’m ever serious about quitting fast food for good, then I’ll start paying attention. It will be good motivation, I’m sure.

That said, periodic picket lines by workers demanding to be paid $15/hr for these jobs are only hastening the development of more automation in the industry. Once a robot is making and serving up my chicken, the only concern I’ll have then is the unhealthy food I’m eating due to the food itself…and not due to what those preparing it might or might not being doing to it.

#ignorance is bliss. #fastfoodcheap4reason

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
That's literally a brand new Popeye's that just opened in the last few weeks. They are sure starting out strong.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
There are plenty of good secretaries and similar jobs making 11 or 12/hour. You're telling me they wouldn't consider switching for a 36% raise?

You don't understand how "minimum wage" works, do you? As far as I know, none of these proposed laws say " higher wages ONLY for fast food workers". The other jobs will see their wages rise to match ff wages, and the ff jobs will still have lower status than the other jobs...with the added fact that more ff workers will be replaced by automation.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
OTOH, $15 might get competent workers in there who aren't idiots.

Not if $15/hr is the baseline salary. Then the problem only grows because they can move from job to job without having to worry about what they're getting paid.