Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Since I've already started threads for 2 of the "Big 3" comic book movie/tv universes out there (DC Extended Universe/WB, Marvel Cinematic Universe/Marvel/Disney), I figured it was only fitting that I start a thread for the third one, which is the Fox X-Men (Marvel) Movie/TV Universe. Therefore, I'd encourage this to be the place to post any opinions/rankings/news/reviews... etc. of anything Fox X-Men Movie/tv Universe related.

Short History (skip if you don't care): Long story short, back when Marvel was bankrupt in the late 90s, in order to generate some cash, they sold off movie/tv rights to many of their beloved characters to different movie studios including Fox, Sony, Universal... etc, while keeping back some of the characters rights to themselves. With that said, since then, Fox owns and has kept all the rights to the X-Men characters, Wolverine, Deadpool, Fantastic Four... etc, and made a shared universe between many of them, particularly those revolving around the X-Men (excludes Fantastic 4). Marvel then later went on to use all their characters they still owned to create their own Cinematic Universe call the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Therefore, YES, there are technically TWO different Marvel movie/tv universes that are COMPLETELY separate. Marvel/Disney themselves own and control one of them completely, and really have very little to do with the other (Fox).

Now that you've got a quick history lesson, here is a quick list of all the current movies that are part of the universe and considered canon:

X-Men (2000)
X2: X-Men United (2003)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
The Wolverine (2013)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
Deadpool (2016)

Moving on, here are the big upcoming movies that are announced and set to come out within this universe:

X-Men: Apocolypse (May 27, 2016)
Gambit (2017)
Untitled Wolverine Film (TBA)
Untitled Deadpool Sequel (TBA)
Hellfire TV Series (TBA)

Lastly, to kick things off, we are only 3 months away right now from the release of the new X-Men: Apocalypse movie, so here is a link to that full-length trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvnHv42T-A

Thoughts? Opinions? Deadpool reviews? Lets get it rolling.

Last edited:

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I have a bad feeling about the next xmen. I will see it and liked the last 2 but just a bad feeling. Hope I'm wrong.
Deadpool was great

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I liked the original X-men because I was a fan of the cartoon growing up and it was new. X2 and Last Stand weren't bad, but I have a feeling if I went back and re-watched it, I'd probably critique them harder.

I haven't seen any of the standalone Wolverine movies other than a few moments were I catch 10-15 minutes when flipping through channels. Nothing ever impressed me about them to hold my attention. Wolverine always got too much attention for my liking. Magneto just makes him his ***** whenever he wants.

First Class and DOFP - I wanted to get into them, but I felt so inundated with X-men by the time they came out that I honestly never gave them much of a shot. The bits I've seen have been better than I thought, but I still haven't watched either of them all the way through.

Deadpool was great for me. My favorite of the listed movies.

I am not overly excited about any of the upcoming releases. Apocolypse looks like it will be a CG-fest. I sorta want a Deadpool sequel, but it would be really easy for it to become a parody of itself if not done well. I may check out Gambit, just because I'm curious to see how dark of a character they make him out to be. In the old cartoons, he was always kind of a *****.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
Now that you've got a quick history lesson, here is a quick list of all the current movies that are part of the universe and considered canon:

X-Men (2000)
X2: X-Men United (2003)
X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)
X-Men: First Class (2011)
The Wolverine (2013)
X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)
Deadpool (2016)

That was a long time ago so I might not be remembering correctly, but wasn't ryan reynolds in wolverine? I feel like the plots of those two movies don't exactly mesh up

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
That was a long time ago so I might not be remembering correctly, but wasn't ryan reynolds in wolverine? I feel like the plots of those two movies don't exactly mesh up

Yeah they made fun of this in Deadpool. They had the figurine of what he looked like in that movie. No idea how they fit together if at all.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
you're right, they just threw that version out.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah they made fun of this in Deadpool. They had the figurine of what he looked like in that movie. No idea how they fit together if at all.

They don't fit together. Fox basically admits that mistakes were made with Xmen Origins Wolverine. None of that is canon really. It's basically as standalone.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I like some of the X-Men movies and some are just meh. It doesn't really feel like a shared universe.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Timelines mean nothing to deadpool because he knows that he is in a comic/movie. Attaching him to any universe is silly because he breaks all the rules.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Yes, you are absolutely correct, and his character was Deadpool in both. Lets just say that Fox has been a little loosey goosey when it comes to their timelines and what is/isn't canon, MUCH more than the MCU has. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the biggest example since it is widely considered the crappiest movie of them all and Fox did not like what they did with multiple things, particularly the character of Deadpool. Therefore, their solution was pretty much to forget Deadpool ever happened in that movie and just redo it. There are multiple other examples and characters as well that don't make sense. Another example would be two different Emma Frosts (First Class and Origins: Wolverine).

Another thing that makes timelines and canons even more confusing too is the fact that all timelines are essentially reset due to the actions in Days of Futures past. Therefore, while the stories are still canon for all the movies prior, they essentially no longer happen that way, so everything is starting from scratch again pretty much. I know its is confusing, but that is what you deal with when you add time travel to stuff. The TV series the Flash deals with this a bunch too.

Last edited:

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
you're right, they just threw that version out.

They didn't just throw it out completely as there is just too many other important things that tie into the other films (X2, Last Stand, The Wolverine) from that movie to throw it out completely. However, its more that anything that doesn't make sense, particularly Deadpool, Fox is just pretending it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Diggame

Sep 7, 2009
STL
What is going to be interesting is how the X men franchise will go forward especially the R rated Dead pool. I honestly think they are gonna have to split up their universe kind of like Marvel did with the Netflix series. Deadpool and maybe X force is going to have to be there own thing. You can't bring all of what Deadpool in into that PG-13 Xmen arena

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I am pumped af about Apocalypse. The X-Men movies have badly needed to involve an antagonist other than Magneto, and they have such a colorful rogues gallery that has largely gone to waste. Apocalypse is a very cinematic villain so I'm hopeful they do him justice.

Plus, it's exciting to finally see a couple of my favorite characters on screen in Psylocke and Archangel.

Although, I was really hoping they'd give us the blue/pink Archangel of the early 90s. Shame.

5334990525_da23da0f93.jpg

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
What is going to be interesting is how the X men franchise will go forward especially the R rated Dead pool. I honestly think they are gonna have to split up their universe kind of like Marvel did with the Netflix series. Deadpool and maybe X force is going to have to be there own thing. You can't bring all of what Deadpool in into that PG-13 Xmen arena

I wouldn't say you can't do both, it will just be interesting how they do. As for the MCU, while Daredevil and Jessica Jones are obviously "R" rated, they are still a part of the MCU just as much as anything else is. They just are being broadcast through Netflix rather than network television since it is a better platform to do something like that.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I think Apocolypse is going to be a fitting conclusion to the X-men universe. I think this movie is going to be "sneaky" good, as Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron from Star Wars) is playing Apocolypse and I'm really excited to see how he portrays that character. I really like the direction that FOX took when they rebooted the X-men timeline beginning with First Class and the historical fiction component of those two movies made them feel more grounded than the first trilogy.

I haven't seen Deadpool yet, but the fact that is doing so well makes Deadpool 2 a safe bet. Now the question is do other movies follow the R-formula? Rumor is that the final Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie will be based on the "Old Man Logan" story, which there is NO WAY they could film (just read the plot synopsis). I think maybe an Older Wolverine makes sense and turn over the claws to X-23

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I am pumped af about Apocalypse. The X-Men movies have badly needed to involve an antagonist other than Magneto, and they have such a colorful rogues gallery that has largely gone to waste. Apocalypse is a very cinematic villain so I'm hopeful they do him justice.

Plus, it's exciting to finally see a couple of my favorite characters on screen in Psylocke and Archangel.

Although, I was really hoping they'd give us the blue/pink Archangel of the early 90s. Shame.

5334990525_da23da0f93.jpg

I'm pretty excited like you. However, it is worth noting that Angel and Psylocke both already appeared in X-Men: The Last Stand. However, Psylocke just had a very minimal part and was portrayed by a different actress, not Olivia Munn.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Yes, you are absolutely correct, and his character was Deadpool in both. Lets just say that Fox has been a little loosey goosey when it comes to their timelines and what is/isn't canon, MUCH more than the MCU has. X-Men Origins: Wolverine is the biggest example since it is widely considered the crappiest movie of them all and Fox did not like what they did with multiple things, particularly the character of Deadpool. Therefore, their solution was pretty much to forget Deadpool ever happened in that movie and just redo it. There are multiple other examples and characters as well that don't make sense. Another example would be two different Emma Frosts (First Class and Origins: Wolverine).

Another thing that makes timelines and canons even more confusing too is the fact that all timelines are essentially reset due to the actions in Days of Futures past. Therefore, while the stories are still canon for all the movies prior, they essentially no longer happen that way, so everything is starting from scratch again pretty much. I know its is confusing, but that is what you deal with when you add time travel to stuff. The TV series the Flash deals with this a bunch too.

aka they knew it would be hard to have x-men movies without cyclops or jean grey, plus the whole "professor x moves his mind into another body when Jean destroys him, yet is still somehow Patrick Stewart and still in a wheel chair" conundrum, it's probably best for them to just start fresh.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think Apocolypse is going to be a fitting conclusion to the X-men universe. I think this movie is going to be "sneaky" good, as Oscar Isaac (Poe Dameron from Star Wars) is playing Apocolypse and I'm really excited to see how he portrays that character. I really like the direction that FOX took when they rebooted the X-men timeline beginning with First Class and the historical fiction component of those two movies made them feel more grounded than the first trilogy.

I haven't seen Deadpool yet, but the fact that is doing so well makes Deadpool 2 a safe bet. Now the question is do other movies follow the R-formula? Rumor is that the final Hugh Jackman Wolverine movie will be based on the "Old Man Logan" story, which there is NO WAY they could film (just read the plot synopsis). I think maybe an Older Wolverine makes sense and turn over the claws to X-23

There is definitely a lot of talk and rumor out there that the next Wolverine movie will be "R" rated for sure, which I'm cool with since it fits the character and the story. However, the "R" rated success of Deadpool kind of scares me going forward simply for fear of it turning into a copycat fad. All said and done, I'm for as many comic book movies as possible as long as they are good, true and fitting to the character/story, and are creative/innovative, regardless of the rating. Deadpool is popular right now because it is innovative and different, just like James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy was its own innovative and new at the time. The fact of the matter is that rating/tone fits Deadpool but NOT every or even many other characters, so please don't make them that way just to try and ride the wave. That is how you get a ton of crappy copycat movies. James Gunn commends Deadpool, but talks about this exact same thing in great detail in a recent interview. Therefore, focus more on making a good movie and less on making another "R" rated Deadpool like movie, and you are alright by me.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

sure you can, but probably only in small doses.

Wolverine is like James Bond, you don't retire the character, you retire the guy playing it. Whoever does it next will have a hard time though, Jackman has done it for so long that many people around my age will have a hard time seeing someone else in that role.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
aka they knew it would be hard to have x-men movies without cyclops or jean grey, plus the whole "professor x moves his mind into another body when Jean destroys him, yet is still somehow Patrick Stewart and still in a wheel chair" conundrum, it's probably best for them to just start fresh.

Definitely true, but even more so is the reality that the X-Men movies started in 2000, 16 YEARS AGO!!!!, so all their original stars are aging and out of their prime for the characters. Therefore, they had to do something different to keep producing movies in the same universe for many years to come. An no, Fox has ZERO plans on handing back over these characters to Marvel to throw into the MCU. Unless they completely screw things up in the future like they did with Fantastic 4, Fox makes wwaaayyy too much money on the X-Men for them ever to hand things back over. On the flip side, while it has already been rumored to different extents, I'd be surprised if Marvel doesn't strike a deal soon with Fox to get the Fantastic 4 characters back. At this point, those characters are completely ruined to the point where bringing them into the MCU likely is the only possible way for them to be successful again.