Yet another mediacom internet thread...

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I just got Mediacom internet today, and it's not letting me have more than one computer connected at a time. I have a switch, and it worked flawlessly in the dorm I was in, but now I can only get one connection at a time.

So I did a little digging around and saw in another thread that they only let you have one computer online at a time.

I am planning on buying a wireless router, will this solve my problem? Then I can hook the router to the modem, have wireless connection to my computer, then run a hard wire to my xbox. Is this accurate?

Basically, I want to be on cyclonefanatic and play xbox live at the same time. Any help/tips? I don't want to pay medicom any more money for more access. I am willing to spend money on a wireless router though. Any suggestions on a good wireless router?

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
I think my parents have Mediacom internet, and I've used their wireless when I visit.

It should work, unless they're paying for more than one computer. That's lame.

cyclonez7

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
My internet from Mediacom was out for the last 3 days. I don't even live near the flooded areas. Mediacom internet isn't that good.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I dont know why it would matter how many comps you have hooked up. As long as you have a router you should have no problems. Some companies do make you register your router but other than that you should have no problems.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Is wireless an option? I think I read somewhere where you can get something through directv. There also are some other dishes you can put on your house to get it. Cell companies have different things too. Not sure how any of this really works.

Cyclone90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 29, 2007
I have a 4 port wireless router w/Mediacom and everything works fine. I'm certainly no IT guy, but I'd dump the switch and get a router. I believe Mediacom only sees the IP on the router, hence it thinks you only have one connection. The router actually assigns the IP# to each device. Mediacom sees all the IPs if you're using a switch.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When we had Medicom a while back, we had the cable modem connected to a wireless router. That was wired to the PC and then connected to our laptop wirelessly. No problems.

In fact, the Mrs. and I would be online at the same time. Would e-mail back and forth across the room - fight over who was going to control the remote that night.

:biglaugh:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
When we had Medicom a while back, we had the cable modem connected to a wireless router. That was wired to the PC and then connected to our laptop wirelessly. No problems.

In fact, the Mrs. and I would be online at the same time. Would e-mail back and forth across the room - fight over who was going to control the remote that night.

:biglaugh:

You did win that fight, I hope. I guess fighting that way you dont get yelled at.

Cyberclone

Aug 6, 2006
What else do you recommend? I don't have a phone landline so I feel like I am stuck with Mediacom.

they probably assigned you one static ip, by getting a wireless router, it will assign dhcp address to your other computers, should be no problem, but since I don't have mediacom internet, I can't say for sure.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I have a 4 port wireless router w/Mediacom and everything works fine. I'm certainly no IT guy, but I'd dump the switch and get a router. I believe Mediacom only sees the IP on the router, hence it thinks you only have one connection. The router actually assigns the IP# to each device. Mediacom sees all the IPs if you're using a switch.

This is correct.. at least about the IP stuff. With a switch, your ISP has to assign an IP address to each computer, whereas with a router, the ISP only has to assign the router an IP address (normally). Then the router splits that one connection to your ISP between whatever computers are connected to it.

So, loosely speaking, with a router, Mediacom only sees one "computer", as opposed to a switch. And if you want wireless, you just get a wireless router. Works the same.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
My roommates and I got mediacom to replace the ghetto ICS connection we had in our apartment during the fall. If I remember correctly I had to clone the MAC address from my computer (the one we used to setup the account with their ******** software) to our wireless router. My linksys wireless router actually had a clone MAC option in the router firmware. That may solve your problem.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
1. Put a wireless 4 port router in. Mediacom will register that device and the router will use network address translation to give out address to your home computers. You then have a switch and wireless with a $50 purchase.

2. Not sure why everyone gets so ticked at Mediacom about services. I have over 50 DSL lines installed across the state and I have just as much problems with those 1.5Mb lines. It really probably depends on where you live. I live in a newer subdivision and I get 10Mb Service, Unlimted phone, Nationwide LD, all features, an HD DVR box with HBO, Starz, Encore for $165. That is not bad if you break that down. The only time I have lost internet is when my house lost power. It still might have been fine if I had a UPS.
Its also been my experience that ISP's take a lot of unneeded heat from a moron end user that has spyware, viruses etc. stopping their pc from working properly. They also may need to reboot the dang router.

3. As far as direct tv wireless. They do offer connection over satelite. Its very expensive. If you wanted 3Mb downloads then you would need to fork over $200 /month. I am pretty sure 700Kb is the entry plan and its $60 month. We have a few doctors using it because they live out in the country in a valley or something. If you are mad about Mediacom going out then I wouldn't even think about that. Plus the latency for some VPN connections don't really get a long.

Just my experience.

Last edited:

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
My roommates and I have used Mediacom internet with a router for the past 3 years without a problem. I never even knew you were only supposed to have one computer hooked up to it at a time until someone on CF said something like that.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
thanks for your input. Looks like I will be purchasing a wireless router tomorrow. I really appreciate all of the help!

Help Support Us

Become a patron