Weekend summary...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dannynoonan

May 5, 2015
I heard Allen will be committing today. Hopefully I don't jinx it. :)
some tweets from the staff last night and this morning make it seem like good news today...you never know but let's hope allen chooses the clones.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
Rumor is chase pine is visiting this weekend
I thought he already had his OV. Seems like an unlikely rumor, but if true, it would be an unofficial visit which would indicate he is seriously considering ISU.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
I comlpletely agree. 10 years ago did any of us think that ISU would be able to recruit using facilities and consistent football sell outs.

JP has done some good things and some not so good things. What's incredible is the ISU fans who continued to fill the Jack despite one of the worst decades in Clone football history (with I believe only one winning season) and coming off 2 and 3 win seasons. The great ISU fan support is how we were able to land good coaching prospects like CSP and CMC.

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
JP has done some good things and some not so good things. What's incredible is the ISU fans who continued to fill the Jack despite one of the worst decades in Clone football history. . . . The great ISU fan support is how we were able to land good coaching prospects like CSP and CMC.
Maybe I'm the only one here who sees JP's contribution differently than do you. When JP arrived, we were short on facilities and thin on fan attendance (remember attendance for the Mizzou game with the North Division title on the line?). Both have increased tremendously during JP's tenure. How else to explain such growth phenomena with lackluster results on the football field other than to point at JP's leadership? JP's ability, using his sharp financial vision and marketing skills while also convincing the monied to ante up, allowed him to build brick and mortar while simultaneously increasing fan support by showing powerful signs of hope to the rank and file. JP has led us along the path to this moment, when we have CMC, who we believe will have a powerfully positive influence on the football program and Iowa State University overall. JP has built the Iowa State brand from the turf up, a Herculean task. Let's see where we go from here. Those who doubt JP's overwhelmingly positive influence on ISU athletics, please consider where we'd be if Bruce Vandevelde had been AD the past decade. (Note: Paragraphing isn't working for me, anyone know how I can force justify line breaks?)

Last edited:

dxmonger

Dec 18, 2008
Those who doubt JP's overwhelmingly positive influence on ISU athletics, please consider where we'd be if Bruce Vandevelde had been AD the past decade.

Agree with most of that... still disappointed in the length of the contract extension he gave Rhoads.

I guess if I was grading, I've give JP a B+.

Last edited:

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
Agree with most of that... still disappointed in the length of the contract extension he gave Rhoads. I guess if I was grading, I've give JP a B+.
True, he ain't perfect. But what AD is blameless? I'd give him, considering ISU's chronic problems, at least an A-. At the time the contract extension was offered, if JP could have foreseen. . . .

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
JP has done some good things and some not so good things. What's incredible is the ISU fans who continued to fill the Jack despite one of the worst decades in Clone football history (with I believe only one winning season) and coming off 2 and 3 win seasons. The great ISU fan support is how we were able to land good coaching prospects like CSP and CMC.

Im amazed at the inability some people have to give JP credit. Fan support is great but it means nothing if the coaches don't think they have the facilities or the athletic department to compete along with the fan base . ISU currently has all 3 and none were there in football before JP.

Last edited:

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
We have great fans but JP deserves a lot of credit for that. Takes some creativity and business savvy to keep filling a football stadium when the program is slowly sinking. Never understood the hate some Cyclone fans have toward Pollard. I will forever be grateful that he came in and rejuvenated the football and basketball programs when times were really rough. Guy is very good at what he does and we're lucky to have him.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Maybe I'm the only one here who sees JP's contribution differently than do you. When JP arrived, we were short on facilities and thin on fan attendance (remember attendance for the Mizzou game with the North Division title on the line?). Both have increased tremendously during JP's tenure. How else to explain such growth phenomena with lackluster results on the football field other than to point at JP's leadership? JP's ability, using his sharp financial vision and marketing skills while also convincing the monied to ante up, allowed him to build brick and mortar while simultaneously increasing fan support by showing powerful signs of hope to the rank and file. JP has led us along the path to this moment, when we have CMC, who we believe will have a powerfully positive influence on the football program and Iowa State University overall. JP has built the Iowa State brand from the turf up, a Herculean task. Let's see where we go from here. Those who doubt JP's overwhelmingly positive influence on ISU athletics, please consider where we'd be if Bruce Vandevelde had been AD the past decade. (Note: Paragraphing isn't working for me, anyone know how I can force justify line breaks?)

The boom in attendance and facilities are because CPR went bowling 3 out of 4 years, and also because of Fred Hoiberg. The facility upgrades are partly due to those coaches success, but mostly due to the media deals from the Big12 so Iowa State has money to do those upgrades now...

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
We have great fans but JP deserves a lot of credit for that. Takes some creativity and business savvy to keep filling a football stadium when the program is slowly sinking. Never understood the hate some Cyclone fans have toward Pollard. I will forever be grateful that he came in and rejuvenated the football and basketball programs when times were really rough. Guy is very good at what he does and we're lucky to have him.

I said JP had done some good things and some not so good things, not exactly a hateful comment. I think that's accurate and I guess I could say I've never understood the JP worship by some. Did JP start Hilton Magic? In fact his GMac hire killed Hilton Magic and we were so lucky Creighton saved us (and Fred wanted to come home). Like it or not his first 2 football hires gave us 1 winning season and maybe the worst winning percentage decade in Cyclone football history. We're all hoping CMC turns it around, and I'm very excited about football right now, but he clearly said the great fan support he saw when he was here two years ago is why he is here. CSP also said Hilton Magic is the big reason he came to ISU. Facilities are part of it, but a lot of P-5 schools are making huge upgrades due to the explosion of TV money over the last decade. You may think I'm not giving JP enough credit, but I don't think you are giving the incredible ISU fans and the exploding tv contract money near enough credit.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
I said JP had done some good things and some not so good things, not exactly a hateful comment. I think that's accurate and I guess I could say I've never understood the JP worship by some. Did JP start Hilton Magic? In fact his GMac hire killed Hilton Magic and we were so lucky Creighton saved us (and Fred wanted to come home). Like it or not his first 2 football hires gave us 1 winning season and maybe the worst winning percentage decade in Cyclone football history. We're all hoping CMC turns it around, and I'm very excited about football right now, but he clearly said the great fan support he saw when he was here two years ago is why he is here. CSP also said Hilton Magic is the big reason he came to ISU. Facilities are part of it, but a lot of P-5 schools are making huge upgrades due to the explosion of TV money over the last decade. You may think I'm not giving JP enough credit, but I don't think you are giving the incredible ISU fans and the exploding tv contract money near enough credit.

If I wanted to call you out I would've quoted you. My post was about some ISU fans in general not you specifically. I said JP deserves a lot of credit but definitely don't want to take anything away from how awesome our fanbase is. The way I see it JP generated a lot of buzz and kept finding ways to put butts in seats when times were tough and that hasn't always been the case.

He's not perfect by any means and made some bad hires in hindsight but also made one of the greatest with Hoiberg. I have no problem with people pointing out his failures and calling it like it is but can't stand when people claim he's done nothing and won't give credit where its due. Some actually think the Hoiberg hire was a no brainer that anybody could see was the best option so JP gets no credit for that one. If you're one of these types, you're obviously entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree.

BadBoi

Nov 25, 2015
JP is just lucky he's got fans willing to sit through crap. Well be in a lot better shape when JP goes to wisky I've never seen a guy fav be I've successful hire in 10 years kerri his job.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
JP is just lucky he's got fans willing to sit through crap. Well be in a lot better shape when JP goes to wisky I've never seen a guy fav be I've successful hire in 10 years kerri his job.

I love when posters make it so blatantly obvious how stupid they are.

Note to self, always take BadBoi's comments with a grain of salt.

CyInDFW

Aug 14, 2015
Lewisville, TX

Is English your second language? Rosetta stone has been working for people around the world for years...give it a try.

RedDog

Jan 28, 2014

Putting the tavern in tavernhawk like a champ.

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ

Wow. Just plain wow. I'd thought your spelling of Badboi was a fashion statement, but now it seems clear it was a genuine attempt to spell Bad and Boy correctly. The U of I really pumps out scholars!

BeachAve

Apr 22, 2014

Yep

ISU went from 38,000/game to 61,000---and exceeded Kinnick's attendance a couple times this year

That fact was really historic for this 100 yr old rivalry

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I am happy to see there are people in this world who make the perfect decision 100% of the time. I bumble along in life hoping 50% of my professional and personal decisions are right.

JP is the CEO of ISU athletics. He sets the vision and hires people to do the job. Big picture, ISU athletics is far better than when he took over. If I look back on JP's coaching hires, at the time of the hire, JP was most criticized by Cyclone fans for the Hoiberg hire. He took a big risk and hit it out of the park. But if you look back at history, not many examples of many star athletes who turn out to be great coaches. On top of that, ISU was Fred's 1st coaching job.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron